Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    One other thing you're forgetting in the weight comparison is that ENO includes compression straps on the hammock pouch. It's nice seeing how small an ENO hammock looks on a store shelf when compressed, but it's an aesthetic difference (in my opinion) and there's definitely a weight increase as a result.

I try to stay out of the comparison discussions on here since the community should be hearing what you all think and prefer, but I wanted to mention that since it was being overlooked.

Also, @angrysparrow - ENO uses a similar material as TLG (I'm honestly not sure whether it's identical down to the thread count or not) but they are definitely not made by the same manufacturer so hopefully that puts that issue to rest. I won't get into a manufacturing discussion that involves other brands, but I will tell you that ENO and TLG are absolutely not re-branded versions of the same hammock.
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    FWIW, this thread was revived after 3 years. I know that you clarified that they were manufactured separately in another thread. Thanks for that. But I still think it makes no practical difference.

When you lay them down side by side, stacked, and every other way you can think of...beyond colors, there is zero difference. That's to include stitching, dimensions of panels, dimensions of hammocks, etc.... If they aren't the 'same', then it's close enough as to make no difference at all.

I love lounging in Trek Light hammocks...very comfortable, affordable, durable. Great product all around...just indistinguishable from similar brands.

I hope you continue to bring new and unique hammock accessories to market, though, to further differentiate Trek Light.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    I didn't even realize the thread was 3 years old when I responded.

I definitely don't disagree about the similarities between products in the hammock market and it's obviously something I think about often (hence this novel length forum post). All of us will hopefully continue to innovate and try to differentiate with technical differences, weight differences, design differences, etc., but it's often inevitable that similar and even nearly identical products are available in any market. Especially when you're dealing with lightweight products that require simplicity in design to be effective.

Sleeping bags are a good example of this in the outdoor gear industry - the overall design is nearly identical across so many brands and yet we still find reasons to choose one over the other. As to why some parachute hammocks manufactured in different places have nearly identical designs, I think it's obvious that when something works it gets replicated (not necessarily a bad thing) and the pure simplicity along with the 'it just works' design is most likely the biggest reason for the shared dimensions, style, etc.

As a consumer, if there are clear differences between products the choice can be easy - maybe you prefer a WBBB style over a TLG design or vice versa. There's a lot of room to create new designs that are more along the lines of a backpacking-specific system (like WB and some of the great cottage manufacturers on this site) but in terms of a simple hammock that has broad lifestyle appeal for its comfort and simplicity, the overall hammock experience itself will likely be 'similar' for a while. Even small differences that differentiate brands (dimensions, features, materials, etc.) won't necessarily change that overall experience until larger innovation comes.

The point I really want to make is that we always have these similar choices as consumers. And, like with the sleeping bags, backpacks and so much else, when products I'm looking at are essentially the same it becomes more about the overall experience than anything else - you start looking at things like who's got better customer service, community, etc. or, what brand just makes you feel better.

That's been my primary focus with Trek Light Gear and will always continue to be. I have every intention of continuing to add new products and finding ways to make the hammock experience better while differentiating from the competition. But the most important thing I can do every day is form a connection with customers, be honest and transparent, and give them a reason to feel good about choosing TLG over a similar or even identical product.

This weekend, TLG passed 10,000(!) fans on our Facebook page, a huge testament to the community and connection that people feel and something I'm extremely proud of. If someone asks me what makes a TLG hammock better than an ENO for example, the fact that our hammocks weigh a couple ounces less is awesome but it just isn't enough (it is for many of you here but not necessarily for the masses) - it's often the details outside of the product that matter just as much. It's little things like our 'Buy A Hammock, Plant A Tree' program and giving 1% back to the HF community that I believe mean more than a slightly different hammock design that provides the same overall experience.

Sorry for the long winded response, those that know me or follow along with the blog probably know how important these aspects of running a small business are for me and I'm happy to talk about it. I believe strongly that you don't need to reinvent the wheel to start a successful business. You can start selling toothbrushes tomorrow and if you focus on creating a positive experience and impact you'll know exactly how to answer the "What makes your toothbrush better than any others?" question.

(By the way, @angrysparrow - please don't think this was a rebuttal to your post or directed specifically at you in any way. I appreciate the point you made and since it's something I'm passionate about it just gave me a chance to share my thoughts on the subject!).
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12