Thread: DIY sewing

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene

DIY sewing

i don't know how to sew and it's the biggest limiting factor that i have as a diy'er

my daughter has a cheap little sewing machine that santa brought her a few years back. i used it to try and sew a seam on a diy hammock but goofed it all up.

my question is, how do learn to sew if you don't know anyone to teach you. i used youtube but i still didn't get it. any ideas of a way to learn or standard places that teach this sort of thing??

sorry if this is in the wrong place

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You might want to go in a local fabric store and ask one of the ladies (most likely) working there where you could take lessons. I know they'd be pretty happy to point you to the right place.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try calling the local fabric or crafts stores and see if they have any classes. Many do. Or they may know of an individual that could teach you the basics.

Jerry

edit - NCP beat me to it!
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Do you have adult education classes in your area, sewing may be an option?
    Fabric stores may have classes or know of instructors?
    Local churches may have sewing groups?

Edit: everyone is typing faster than me!
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Kudos on tackling your biggest limiting factor with a head-on attack. Sewing machines, like any new-to-you machine, can be incredibly finicky to learn on. If Youtube is not your style (HF member Ramblinrev has some good ones), I'd check your local sewing shop. I know a couple shops near me that offer some nice introductory classes. More importantly, keep trying and asking questions on HF! This is an invaluable resource!!
    Last edited by ganon414; 03-30-2011 at 12:43. Reason: wow everyone was jumping at this one!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sewing machines are "thread injectors" around here. They are gear-making power tools.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Sewing is not that complicated. If you know anyone that sews (your daughter maybe??) they can show you the basics of machine use in ten minutes. You could even try just reading the machine manual. Then, you'll need to practice.

So, get some cheap fabric (or if you have any clothes/sheets/etc that you are getting rid of, use those) and just practice making seams. Straight seams, play around with stitch length and see what it does, play around with tension and see what it does.

cotton is an easy fabric to sew and usually pretty cheap (slippery fabrics and very thin or thick fabrics can be frustrating at first). I'd start with that.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Sewing machines are "thread injectors" around here. They are gear-making power tools.
    I refer to mine as a "Textile Impaler"
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Classes are the way to go I'm taking them with my girl so she can't say I don't do things with her.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    i don't know how to sew and it's the biggest limiting factor that i have as a diy'er

my daughter has a cheap little sewing machine that santa brought her a few years back. i used it to try and sew a seam on a diy hammock but goofed it all up.

my question is, how do learn to sew if you don't know anyone to teach you. i used youtube but i still didn't get it. any ideas of a way to learn or standard places that teach this sort of thing??

sorry if this is in the wrong place
    Dear friend,

Here's a word worth remembering - perseverance. If at first you don't succeed...
    Or, as Homer Simpson once said, "If something is hard to do, it's not worth doing. Let's go watch TV.(re: You Tube)"

Everything I know about sewing I learned from You Tube (and, of course, reading the owner's manual of my Singer sewing machine - always follow the instructions the first time, at least).

Everything I know about making hammocks, tarps, whoopie slings, under quilts, top quilts, alcohol stoves, pipe bombs, fire making, frog gigging, rabbit snaring, knife sharpening, fishing, sailboat rigging, wind surfing, the fabrication of solar cells, building steam turbines, cloning sheep, breeding blight resistant corn, sky diving, bungee jumping, rebuilding a ford V8 352 Windsor engine, just to name a few - I learned from You Tube.

Yes, my friend, the answer to all your prayers is just a Google (video) search and -"click"- away. It's also worth mentioning that for every interest and hobby there are a go-zillion forums much like HF.net. You have come this far, go forth and explore!

Video search ideas: learn to sew, sewing for dummies (my personal favorite), sewing with (insert the brand name of the machine you are using), sewing noob blog spots, etc... There is a ton of stuff out there. Don't give up.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast