Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Freakin Awesome Tarp Set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

I just ran across this video on youtube. I like this set up, especially the tensioning lines on the guys.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Nice for a rectangular tarp. The cat cut tarps don't need all the extra rope.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks funbun. haven't herd from you in a while.
    sorry you weren't able to find a hammock to work with your back.
    i don't suppose you ever found a hammock solution?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    I use a prusik set up like that for my tarp and it works great! Allows for adjustments if needed after setting up my hammock. I also use prusiks to attach the bungees on my clark set up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My BlackCat tarp doesn't have a ridgeline. It ties right up to the trees. I've been using the niteize figure 9's so that I can adjust easily if necessary. Also it's a cat cut tarp, which is more stable (less flappy) than a rectangular tarp in the wind.

I did enjoy watching his use of knots, but I thought that some of that setup was more complicated than it needed to be. (The ridgeline, for instance). But whatever floats your boat, y'know?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I liked his guy system, but making cat curves is a lot easier, and less weight. It did look like he was using mason line, or a similar small line. Over all a good vid.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I did enjoy watching his use of knots, but I thought that some of that setup was more complicated than it needed to be. (The ridgeline, for instance). But whatever floats your boat, y'know?
    Knot people love their knots! When I was in the Coast Guard I remember people that would spend all of their free time tying knots; they loved it! The really good ones made it look effortless. Anybody ever tie a 'monkey fist knot' (used to throw lines between ships)? Those things are crazy, but I knew a guy that could make one in no time flat and hold a conversation at the same time; very cool. I should have paid more attention in 'seamanship' class, then I wouldn't need fig 9s and the like.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    That was a lot of rigging, more than I like to do. I pull my tarp ridgeline pretty taut too, but mine, like most of ours is just a separate line on each end of the tarp. I found that using Ed Speer's multi-wrap knot finished with a slippery half-hitch or something like that allows me to pull taut with mechanical advantage and wrap/tie the knot under tension. I think the mechanical advantage I get is that the line starts on a tangent to the tree and the wrap cinches it to the center of the tree-- anyhow, it works well for me and doesn't require tying/untying an extra loop in my ridgeline. I do have to work with the multi-wraps, although I just do that on one side. The first ridgeline I just use a slippery bow line knot which is very quick and easy.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The first ridgeline I just use a slippery bow line knot which is very quick and easy.
    Have you got a link or info on how to tie this one? Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Have you got a link or info on how to tie this one? Thanks.
    I learned it when I was using a Clark Hammock. It is on page 4 of their manual http://www.junglehammock.com/images/...anual_2007.pdf. It is a good knot for tying hammocks with the right kind of rope, even with most webbing.

Slowhike reminded be about this recently-- you do need to be careful and make sure the rope or webbing you use will release when the tension is removed. I had problems with the rope on my Hennessy Hammock releasing with a slippery bowline, if my memory is correct. I had the nylon(?) webbing melt in the knot with a Twin-Layer Hammock I used and I had to cut it down. I got lazy one time and tried to release a slippery bowline that was under tension on my tarp ridgeline and it broke the line at the bend. (I tie the slippery bowline first and then the multi-wrap knot under tension. I untie the multi-wrap knot first.)

The way to test it is to pull it taut, but not as taut as it will be loaded and make sure it acts like it will release without a lot of trouble. Some rope/webbing will just release like it was greased up and others have too much friction and/or won't expand at the loop and don't want to release at all. It is risky trying to give advice when there are so many variables as to what people are using.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast