Suspension
    Mammoth Straps

Therm-a-rest Down Quilts?

Anyone own a Therm-a-Rest down quilt? They make 2 models:

The Alpine:
    http://www.rei.com/product/810297

and the Ventra:
    http://www.rei.com/product/781176

I was able to get an Alpine in my hands at Recreation Outlet (Discount outlet in Utah) and I was pretty impressed. Really nice construction, About 1.5 lbs, lots of loft. Snaps all the way up (designed to be able to snap to a pad, but work for a box as well), built in (non-adjustable) shock cords at top and bottom that create a natural curve, and packs down really small.

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, especially if you own or have any experience with one. This is the only down quilt I have ever actually seen with my own eyes, so I would also love to hear how this compares to some of the other more well known quilts on here. Price is around $240, wherever you get it. Good buy? Or would you go with a Stormcrow, JRB, KAQ, etc.?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dice; 03-30-2011 at 17:07. Reason: Addes detail
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

The Alpine:

and the Ventra:

I was able to get an Alpine in my hands at Recreation Outlet (Discount outlet in Utah) and I was pretty impressed. Really nice construction, About 1.5 lbs, lots of loft. Snaps all the way up (designed to be able to snap to a pad, but work for a box as well), built in (non-adjustable) shock cords at top and bottom that create a natural curve, and packs down really small.

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, especially if you own or have any experience with one. This is the only down quilt I have ever actually seen with my own eyes, so I would also love to hear how this compares to some of the other more well known quilts on here. Price is around $240, wherever you get it. Good buy? Or would you go with a Stormcrow, JRB, KAQ, etc.?

Thanks!
    I've held one in my hands, never tried one out. IMO for the $240 any other of the quilts you mentioned are a MUCH better buy. A little on the heavy side for the warmth. My Hammock Gear quilt will take me to 35 degrees, cost me $40 less and weighs in at around 15oz. I don't own a TQ from the other MFGR's you listed, but I would expect around the same results.
    That just my 2 cents
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I picked up a Ventra for $140 on the discount rack at Midwest Mountaineering a couple weeks ago. Will use it for the summer. Have not had the chance to test it out in the hammock yet though.

2T

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

The Alpine:

and the Ventra:
    For $10 less than the Alpine listed above, you could get a Hammockgear.com 3 season Burrow TQ with the snap and drawstring foot box closure. It comes in at the same weight (+- 1oz) and it has 900 FP down which makes it rated to 20F instead of 35F.

So I agree, you could go to the hammock cottage businesses and get a better product for the same or less money.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    Nice 2Tango! That price seems a lot more appropriate. Would love to hear your review when you take it out.

Texron, thanks for weighing in! Your quilt is only 15oz???!! That's awesome! And cheaper? That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    Thanks Brian. Would the burrow fit a 6'3" guy? If so, rock on!
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Nice 2Tango! That price seems a lot more appropriate. Would love to hear your review when you take it out.

Texron, thanks for weighing in! Your quilt is only 15oz???!! That's awesome! And cheaper? That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!
    Contact Hammock Gear and tell them what you are after, for that matter any of the manufacturers here are very good about listening to your needs. I also have a TQ by Te-Wa that is awesome, EASILY get me to 30 degrees and weighs 19oz cost was $200.
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have the Ventra and used the system last year on the ground. This has been a good quilt and the inner material feels good against the skin. The Ventra has some extra weight because of the extra flaps that you tuck under the pad without killing the down loft.

I have recently placed an order with Te-Wa to get a TQ that is lighter in weight. I also have a winter TQ from Warbonnet that is lighter than the Ventra so if weight is an issue for you leave it alone.
    Hope this helps...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

If you can score one of these on sale,

it appears to be a good deal. But the down is only 650-700 FP as compared to the 800-900 FP of "our" cottage industries. I have no second thoughts about the Hammock Gear UQ and TQ I have. And Adam & Jen custom-sized my TQ.

Jim
    Happy Camper

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps

Ok... I have taken my Thermarest Ventra out and used it 3 times. I dressed the same way for all 3 times: light weight wool socks, Light long underwear, long sleeved tech shirt with a light polar fleece top, and a stocking cap. On all 3 occasions the temp dropped to around 35*.

I had my tarp up and closed up, due to wind, on 2 occasions. I was completely comfortable using only the Ventra, as a TQ, down to those temps. The snaps used to keep the foot box kept coming undone (no surprise there). The width worked out well. The top needs a draw string to keep out the drafts.

The only other time I used it was without a tarp. I woke up at about 45* and was cold. The light wind went through it with no restrictions. I pulled out my light weight sleeping bag and put this over the top. when I woke up in the morning there was a heavy frost and the TQ looked like it had a good coating of snow on it. I put it out to dry and the frost never got inside to the feathers.

2 Tango

• + New Posts