Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images

JRB Nest, or Speer SnugFit. Sell me on one.

I have narrowed down my UQ selection to these two quilts. I particularly would like to hear about the Snug Fit. Is its design that much superior to the Nest? It seems with all of the curves taken into account along with linear baffles, its seems like a much better design. Is it worth the extra weight is my main question. thanks for any responses.

The Nest is designed to fit a Hennessy hammock,and it does and excellent job, better than anything else IMO. I believe the Snug Fit fits a Speer? Someone else may know.

Images
    What hammock are you using?

I remember talking with this with someone at somepoint and was told a good point. The Snug fit by design works really well for cold conditions. The nest will work over a bigger range of temps. I use an UQ similar to the nest. I am able to vent it really easily with either adjusting the attachment to the ridgeline or by loosening one or both of the drawcords.

I was able to vent using those methods and use my 3.5" loft quilt all year last year as my only UQ.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I want to clear up some confusion.

There are presently two models of SnugFit Underquilts http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm , one specifically for a Speer Hammock and a Universal Model for most non-spreader bar style hammocks, including Hennessy Hammocks. The Speer Model takes advantage of the hook and loop tape sewn along the edge of a Speer Hammock to work like an insulated hammock with a Speer Hammock while the Universal Model uses tabs along the side to aid in the fit when necessary. Both models use the identical full width suspension system that attaches to the ends of the hammocks.

And yes you can easily vent either model by lengthening the shockcord attachments that attaches at the ends of the hammock such that the SnugFit is no longer held snug against the bottom of the hammock. There is nothing terribly complicated about venting, it is getting a good fit that is difficult.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    ...the Universal Model uses tabs along the side to aid in the fit when necessary...

...you can easily vent either model by lengthening the shockcord attachments that attaches at the ends of the hammock such that the SnugFit is no longer held snug against the bottom of the hammock. There is nothing terribly complicated about venting, it is getting a good fit that is difficult.
    I would add to that this: It is also possible to achieve some side-venting with the Universal model SnugFit by guying out the side tabs with a piece of shock cord. In addition to the normal venting method this gives a lot of options.

I've owned the Universal model SnugFit for several months now, and I've been extremely pleased with it. Yes, it is slightly heavier than other options, but it just cannot be beat for hassle-free setup. It's really a top-notch product.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I would add to that this: It is also possible to achieve some side-venting with the Universal model SnugFit by guying out the side tabs with a piece of shock cord. In addition to the normal venting method this gives a lot of options.

I've owned the Universal model SnugFit for several months now, and I've been extremely pleased with it. Yes, it is slightly heavier than other options, but it just cannot be beat for hassle-free setup. It's really a top-notch product.
    I have to agree with angrysparrow's comments. The SnugFit is the best under quilt out there right now, IMHO. IF you are looking for JUST an under quilt the Snug Fit is your best choice.

If you are looking for a more versatile piece of gear the JRB quilt may suit you better because it can be used as a top quilt or camp clothing.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

If you are looking for a more versatile piece of gear the JRB quilt may suit you better because it can be used as a top quilt or camp clothing.
    that is essentially where i am at. one more question, though. is the Speer snugfit that much better of an UQ as to outweigh the versatility of the Nest?
    for starters, what temp rating can the nest achieve if it is the sole under insulation?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I also agree. I have both, but I take my snugfit with me for a bottom quilt. When I got mine, I asked for the universal model but the order got shipped as a Speer Model. Rather than send it back, I put loops on it like the NSniveler or Nest and it works great. In fact, I sewed velcro on the edges of my Claytor to accomedate the Snugfits velcro but though it was nice and worked well, even though the Claytor was 1 foot narrower than the SF. But now I have even stopped using the Claytor with the Velcro and went to using an unaltered one, it still works well. It seems this thing will fit anyway you want to put it on. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Fo rme, it would come down to the types of conditions and temp ranges I'm using the quilt in, and the big one for me, weight. The JRB Nest or N/S is a goo deal lighter at 20 oz instead of 32, 30 or 29 oz, depending on which run.
    My nest has worked well into the high 20s with some techiqunes helping to add those extra degrees. So for me, I dont like the Idea of carrying those extra oz's, but then again I am an ounce counter. Perhaps if speer did a 1/2 length sungfit (Hint Hint, Wink Wink) I would probly go over to it (Wink Wink).
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    is the Speer snugfit that much better of an UQ as to outweigh the versatility of the Nest?
    Probably not, if you want to use the Nest as a garment. The great thing about the SnugFit is that it is made with radially cut baffles and spandex-like suspension. That allows it to snug perfectly up to the shape of a hammock bottom with no suspension tinkering. It's no-brainer warmth. But, if you don't mind learning to get a good fit with the Nest and want the versatility of garment-use, it may be a better choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost93 View Post
    Perhaps if speer did a 1/2 length sungfit (Hint Hint, Wink Wink) I would probly go over to it (Wink Wink).
    Are you listening to this, Youngblood?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast