WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Web w/Dutchclips

Greetings from a soon to be new hanger.

Sending out a big hello to all. Stumbled onto these forums a couple days ago and have gotten more questions going in my mind that I ever thought I needed to consider concerning my upcoming hammock purchase.

A little background on me. I grew up being in the Scouts and went all the way through to Eagle. Went off to college and continued some involvement with camping and scouting via Alpha Phi Omega. Finished college and...stopped camping.

Well, after several years I finally got back into hiking and camping. I was still a 'groundling', but the hammocks that I did happen to see when checking out camping gear were a LOT different than what I remembered. I remembered those green fishnet looking ones...somewhat fun to take to camp in my scouting days but even then not too comfy unless you had a blanket under you...those tiny cords just seemed to 'cut' into you.

So anywho, I see this ENO hammock with mosquito net and tarp setup and think, "Wow! Now I need something like that!" So, since I like to research a lot before I leap I start browsing the web for a while then I stumble across this forum. OH the wealth of information I find....quilts, pads, underquilts, this brand is better for flatter sleeping, that brand...so on and so on. It's a lot to consider. I am glad that I am not opposed to having more than one hammock....but as I will only start out with one I think I've narrowed it down enough that I might be sending in an order in the very near future...especially since I see there is a group hang about 45 minutes from me in January....though I don't know if it would be wise to jump into hanging in the middle of winter...but seeing as how I know I'll love it hammock camping and the fact that the idea of getting a new toy sooner than later. hrm.

Now if I can just figure out which I want first and what accessories would work best. A clark nx250, the blackbird warbonnet, hold out for the new jungle eno, maybe an other. I like the idea of tarp not attached. Also, I am a bigger guy (5'11" / 250 lbs / wide shoulders) so while my 'techie' side likes all the pockets and technical aspects that the clark appear to have, I am concerned on some saying that it is a bit on the tight side shoulderwise. I was looking initially at the Eno doublenest as it had more width and now I hear that the warbirds do as well...

Ah well back to digging up info here.

Also, please feel free to pass on any tips that you might have for a soon to be hanger!

Maybe if I can swing it I'll come out to the Uwharrie, NC swing in January that I read about too.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF. I am a new hanger as well and, after reading many of the comments here ended up with a WBBB. I am longer than you (6'2"), although not as broad (175 lbs). I have found the WBBB to be pretty comfortable. I can even sleep on my back for a while, something I can't hardly do in a bed. And side sleeping, hybrid back/side sleeping is very comfortable. And it is quite spacious inside.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome Wildcard, If you can go to the hang, you will get to see so much and have a chance to lay in some of the great members rigs to see what really fits you. If you can't make that hang there are lots scheduled all over the east coast in the coming months and there are lots of members in the NC area you should be able to get together with some one that could show you the ropes. In the mean time keep reading here and you will have all the good advice to make a well informed decision on no time. Welcome to a slightly more elevated way to sleep.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

Wide shoulders, I'd point you towards the Warbonnet Blackbird or the Tree to Tree Switchback. Both provide gobs of interior width and are in similar price ranges. I'm partial to the Blackbird, but the Switchback is a close second in that category IMO.

But, I'm willing to bet you could find someone willing to lend you a hammock for the upcoming hang. That would be your best bet by far because you'll have a chance to see and try lots of different hammocks at the hang. That is hands down the best way to find what works best for you.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Welcome Wildcard you've found a great place to find a ton of info and knowledge here at HF. Maybe we'll get to meet at the Uwharrie hang. Your going about it the right way, research and find a setup that fits your needs.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Wildcard1109 ..... it has only just begun!
    Have fun and keep diggin"
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hi Wildcard1109

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    welcome wildcard. If your near a hang definately go at least for a look as you'll learn allot from seeing everything up close. Everyone will be more than helpful to answer all your questions and give you a test run. I've got a WBBB , i'm 6ft and 205 and its real comfy
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hello and welcome to HF!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome Wildcard! I hope to meet you at the Uwharrie hangout.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast