Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images

Bly to Springer Section

I will be taking a couple friends on a 5/6 day Hammock/backpacking trip from Bly to Springer starting on March 31st. We plan on hanging every night. I think most of the shelters are rat infested, and just nasty. I was looking for any advice on special places to hang with views. We will be doing 15+ miles a day. I know that is heavy miles but we will be packing light and doing a a refill for food and other stuff at Neels Gap. Then, heading to springer. I know I can get most of these answers over at the WB. But I am looking for answers only from hangers.. Also if you know what the weather will be like that would be great also.

Thanx
    CK
    I trust everyone, it is the devil in side them i dont trust.
    (Sua Sponte)

Images
    Southbound is the way to go.

Shelters maybe nasty, but only 2 on the whole trail had rats I know of and they are in VA. The GA are pretty nice. I never had any mice issues. But anyways, what are your questions?

I'm not sure of the weather, but the northbounders saw a blizzard in April in the Humps of TN. I would say the weather could do anything.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    The weather here in GA can be very unpredictable that time of year. You could have ice storms , then several days later, temps in the high 80's !!

I'd suggest you wait until the last min to figure out clothing etc. after you see the weather forecast. I'd be prepared for worse than what they tell you though. They're often wrong !

Also- the blackflies are usually out around then if the weather's right.

Have a great hike!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    That’s a great trip … I can’t remember many places to hang with a view, since it was always windy, rainy, foggy or cold during last year in April. Like everyone has said … the weather can be unpredictable. I helped a NB off the trail due to hypothermia. Just make sure you check the weather before and during your hike … my avatar is a picture the old oaks tree at Bly Gap.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    If I remember right, theres a cool place near Overlook Near Tray Mtn. I don't remember if there are any hanging sites though. just below the summit of big ceder on the south side is a good view with some good sites if I remember. Justis Creek was nice too (and its only a little past gooch gap shelter sobo).
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    I will be bringing two friends. They are newer to hanging. I would just like to make it the best I can for them. They will be using there HH's for the first time for more than one night in a row. I really have not decided whether i am bringing my HH or my Eno-dbl. I guess if I could tell the future, and knew three would not be any black flies I would bring my Eno.
    (Sua Sponte)

Nice hike i did it during the drought in Oct. Unlimited cool camping spots when water is flowing. (which it should be ) For us however we had to camp near water we had a 22 mile day one day between water. It is a hard hike in 5 days I did it in 5 but would not again take 6- 7 and enjoy the hike. My hiking buddy and I race bikes and are in pretty good shape but this was to much for 5 days. Over half of the shelter springs where dry when we hiked.
    Great trip lots of cool place to hang.

If you have any questions let me know
    Every Blessing
    Alan

Hammock
    HH Expo and a ENO double
    Images
    What is the shortest way to get to Bly Gap? (We don’t want to back track and we have a 4x4 for drop off) Next, where is the best place to park at Springer MT? (Again we don’t want to back track and we want the shortest route to the parking lot this is where we are going to leave a vehicle)

Last will any of you’sguys be out on the trail that week?
    (Sua Sponte)

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    There is a parking lot that the AT crosses 1 mile from the summit to springer on FS42. Probably your best bet -- not bad to get to. Just like any parking, make sure valuables are not in vehicle and nothing of worth is in view. I haven't heard of any problems lately. I looked up drop in points for Bly. There are 2. One is in GA at Blue Ridge Gap -- not sure what FS number. I have been to this gap and it does take a high clearance vehicle. Would be pretty rough if it is raining. The gap is about 3 miles trail south of Bly so you would have to backtrack. The other one is Deep Gap in NC on FS 71. I haven't been to this gap so I don't know how the roads are. It is about 7 miles trail n of Bly. As far as my knowledge there is no off trail access in. Maybe somebody else has a better suggestion for this end of it. This should be a really nice trip! Hope you have lots of fun!
    Last edited by MamaCat; 02-21-2008 at 09:51. Reason: more info

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    You can find a lot of updated information on WhiteBlaze.net. I would highly recommend you call Ron Haven (828) 524-4403 at Haven's Budget Inn in Franklin, NC. He can shuttle you to or from Deep Gap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast