Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All of mine are good, not one bad one, from GoLite to HG!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I chose a 3 Season Burrow. I wanted one TQ that would take me from spring to fall. I debated about getting a 3 Season UQ and a summer TQ, but after talking with Adam, decided to go 3 Season all the way. I got the TQ with snaps instead of a sewn footbox so that I can open it up in the summer to vent. I used my sleeping bag in the hammock last summer, and it worked ok. The Burrow is so much lighter, easier to use, with less floppy fabric and zipper to contend with. Not sure how it will translate to use on my cot when I have to (gasp) go to ground. We shall see.
    KJ

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    6'1", 225 here. I use the 3S Mamba Long as the go-to TQ pretty much all year, thinking seriously about a hammock gear summer TQ for a week long section hike in May....
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I found most are almost exactly the same. I have a 3 season burrow and I like it alot. However I love my no sniv because I can forgo a jacket in some cases. The head hole was brilliant then and it still sets it apart from the competition.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    These are great reviews everyone. I really appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your experiences so that those of us who are a little newer to the game can gain from your insights. It sounds like there are definitely a few manufacturers who are willing to build things to custom specifications. That's great because I'm seeing things from multiple designs that I like. Thanks!
    Roll the bones_00

Golite UL 20f topquilt, long. Purchased it because of the deal I got on it at 40% off. I have tested it down to about 20f and it worked great. Very comfy, but slightly heavier than the cottage gear mfg products. I really like the design that went into it, but instead of paying the normal price my future quilts will be DIY.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    I have a te-wa custom tq. I love it. I agree though, you probably can't go wrong with any of them. I'd price them out and see what the best deal is.

There is only ONE proper hammock top quilt, the JRB No-Sniveler. I only wish they would offer a Stealth with one-inch baffles, instead of the sewn thru version.

Get yourself a good down vest in black. Order a black JRB Hood and ask for the collar mod kit, then sew the velcro from the kit to the Vest's collar. Warm blooded types get sleep way below 20F with a good UQ.

I think you need to be aware of a few things when you pick your quilt. I wish I had known all this when I bought my first ones as it might have saved me a few dollars.

You absolutely want a 52" wide at your size. I am only slightly larger and I dont think 52 is enough for my needs as a side sleeper.

I have found I really enjoy NOT having a sewn in foot box, but rather one that can lay flat if I want it to.

Also the area of the country that you actually plan to camp has a lot to do with it. I see so many people making and accepting advice based on where they are and their normal temps. I can tell you that for those of us who live at elevation, life is much different than on the east coast (or the smokies for that matter) Living above 10K bring in whole new dimensions to weather and rapid temp change.

As to which manufacturer, i will leave that to the others here, but knowing what loft, for what temp, vs what fill weight of down is important to compare quilts, not just rated temps.

I found when I put all the quilts in a spread sheet for a given temp rating say 20 degrees that the loft, fill weight, size of quilt, total weight was all over the place, for supposedly the same quilt but different manufacturers.

Do more than compare the prices is all i am saying.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    Do more than compare the prices is all i am saying.
    Excellent advise!

The only thing I would add/modify to it is don't get too locked in on your specific location. For one thing, folks move. But the bigger reason is, you may not be hiking in your area on a given trip. If you're a gear junkie, then it makes sense to have multiple quilts that are 'trip specific'. Talk about an expense! But, if you're like most folks, you want a quilt that will function well enough across the board. For example, hiking in the Rockies at altitude I just can't think of a reason for the life of me why someone would want a synthetic quilt over a down quilt. I also want a quilt that will work for a wider range of temps. On a 3 night trip out here, it might be 60° one night, 30° the next, and back to the high 50s the next. So more often than not, I carry a quilt capable of keeping me warm when it gets cold. I can always pull it down when I get the warm nights, but I can't add much to it on the colder nights. I err on the side of caution. I imagine that the area you're hiking in is similar in its weather. My recommendation (assuming you're only buying a single quilt) is to get a quilt that will keep you warm at your expected bottom temps and make adjustments when it's warm out.

I think the largest amount of thinking should be done on the topic of "what kind of hiker are you?" The other stuff, like width, footbox, draft collars, etc are more functions of preference than performance. For instance, I'm broad shouldered and can use the original Black Mambas (read: narrow) without problem. The reason is I'm a very still sleeper in a hammock, so I don't need extra draping. Sewn vs convertible footboxes are another point of preference. If you want to be UL and not carry a jacket for around camp, a quilt that can be opened flat is much better for draping over your shoulders and keeping you warm than one with a sewn footbox. Just questions of your style of camping really.

But, I totally agree with the sentiment that there is more to selecting a quilt than its temperature rating. Those are pretty subjective to begin with anyway.

It might make sense to make yourself a blanket quilt with a cheapo blanket. Use it around the house and maybe take a camping trip with it. You should be able to sort out what you think you like/need and don't like/don't need from a quilt after some time with it. Maybe it's too narrow to stay on you and you need something lighter, etc.

Best of luck! There are just too many very good quilts on the market these days. It doesn't make the choosing any easier.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast