Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

BMBH Maiden Voyage

So as the title indicates I finally got my new older style BMBH out this weekend at the group hand in Valens, Ontario. There is absolutely no other way to say this than I am a convert. I will likely never go back to my ENO or my BB.

The overall craftsmanship of the hammock was top notch, you could tell there was alot of pride put into it. I can say this with confidence because you dont really know whats in a product untill you start taking it apart. All that said there is always room for improvement, so I have to admit I did make some modifications. Before we get to the mods a little more praise for the Jacks.

The lay truly is flat! I was skeptical when I got it thinking there was no way; but its ture, you do need a pillow to sleep comfortably. Now I am a bigger guy and am slightly over the listed weight limit for the hammock. There was no popping of stitches, or ripping at all and the bars held up with no visible signs of wear or stress. So Jacks I think you can bump that up .

My BMBH was the older Omni tape style, which for me was goin to be an annoyance. I do a lot warmer weather camping and I am also up several times a night. The sound of that velcro was goin to get me voted off the island. So I replaced it with ykk #4 coil zipper on the two short sides and one long side, then permanantly fixed the other long side to the hammock. FYI for anyone attempting this for yourself, Stretch Stich, the upper curve of the hammock changes and stretches when weighted. Finally, and not after giving them a fair chance, I replaced the stock suspension with whoopie slings. The Tri-glide and webbing suspension that came with the BMBH was certainly strong enough and relatively easy to use, the whoopie slings are easier still and can span a much larger gap (or atleast mine can).

As reported by many and even explained to me by the Jacks there is some shoulder pinch. This is easily remedied by placing your arms over your head or sleeping on your side. Truth is though its not enough to really be an annoyance and after a min or two it is actually quite comfortable to have that support behind your shoulders.

All in all my hat is off to you Jacks.

Pros: Truly flat lay, very very comfortable
    Lightweight and compactable
    Absolutley no hyperextension of the knee
    Open and spacious, unlike my eno there are no floppy sides to cause clausterphobia

Cons: NONE but there are some suggestions for improvement.

Listed it will accomodate a person 6'3", I am 5'11" and could feel my feet and head touching the top and bottom of the hammock.
    Would like to see heavier duty spreader bars (possibly even longer ones, to completely eliminate the shoulder pinch) and rings. Again being a little heavy for the hammock and not being a gram weiny, I would happily trade off weight for peace of mind. A minor increase in the thickness of the bars and rings would make for large increase in the weight capacity.

Anyway for anyone that might be on the fence, I whole heartedly recommend this hammock.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    As I am currently sitting on the fence in a vain effort to determine which grass is greener, this in-depth review sheds some light, Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ryvr!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ouch, thanks for posting this Rvyr. I say ouch because, like you, I am at the weight limit but I am 6' 2" tall so I'm a bit worried now that you say you are touching the ends and are much shorter than I.

I've wanted a BMBH since Jacks first introduced them but was way too heavy for the original model. When they announced the new improved model with improved weight capacity I was all excited. Guess I am still on the fence due to the length.

Edit: wait a minute, you say "new old style".. which model do you actually have? Not the latest and greatest I assume?

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    yeah it is the older style with the upgraded bars and my own diy bug net mod
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

My gf (hamhocker) has a brand spanking new Bridge Hammock and loves it. We went out last weekend for its maiden voyage. She was in heaven!! She can sleep better in it than her other hammock.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    My gf (hamhocker) has a brand spanking new Bridge Hammock and loves it. We went out last weekend for its maiden voyage. She was in heaven!! She can sleep better in it than her other hammock.
    YAY! Hurray! Glad it is working for her! As Y'all know I am am pretty big BMBH fan, though I understand there are some pros and cons re: some of the best gathered hammocks, especially when comparing to a HH Safari. That comparison is a close contest. But comparing to other hammocks, for the most part I lean towards the BMBH all things considered. I may have to get one of the fancy new ones one of these days. I am still using one of the original models.

• + New Posts