Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Trouble with Descender Rings

Hey everyone! I have a question that I'm sure everyone can help me with. I have a ENO singlenest and slap straps that I got for Christmas last year. After getting the hammock and learning about the foums I have decided toss the Slap Straps and move to webbing and buckles. I have not decided to drop the channel rope and biners yet but I'm working on that pretty soon. My question is...do the rings have to be tied together to get the appropriate bite to hold the hammock. Currently when I set up my hammock up using the biners attatched to my ENO, the rings spread out pretty far and do not hold the webbing tight. After watching Shug's videos, I noticed that his are tied together with the channel rope and his webbing is held tight. Is this my problem? Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah I think it would be. I have the same prob when I was running decender rings - where the two rings would move apart and slip. I tied them together with some 550 and that sorted them out. Still ran a hitch with the tag end of the strap to be sure.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Here are some pictures of how I attached rings to my Trek Light hammock (very similar to ENO). Just larks headed them onto the end channel cord that came on the hammock. The other hammock is a WB Traveler with cinch buckles. I have since switched my Trek Light to the cinch buckle system. Always remember to tie a half hitch behind the rings or you may get slippage. I forgot one time and ended up on my butt in front of my non-hammock friends. Very embarassing.
    KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Here are some pictures of how I attached rings to my Trek Light hammock (very similar to ENO). Just larks headed them onto the end channel cord that came on the hammock. The other hammock is a WB Traveler with cinch buckles. I have since switched my Trek Light to the cinch buckle system. Always remember to tie a half hitch behind the rings or you may get slippage. I forgot one time and ended up on my butt in front of my non-hammock friends. Very embarassing.
    KJ
    I do exactly this step with my TrekLight Double, and for my DIY WBBB... I made a double loop around the rings with a double fisherman's knot with 550 paracord. But the most important part, regardless if you are using thin or a little thicker polypro webbing is the half hitch. I find they slip without one.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Thanks for the help guys! Cataraft, where did you buy your cinch buckles? I have really just become serious about making a lightweight hammock system for hiking and would like to try that sytem as well.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Attaching SMC Rings

Attaching the rings via a triple larks head will provide a really nice bite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Like Cataraft and several others suggested - use a larks head or prussic knot to attach the rings. I would suggest starting with a fixed loop of Amsteel (chainlink), tie that to the rings with a prussic like RF's picture, feed the two strands of the amsteel loop through the hammock channel and then pull the rings through the loop on the other side. It will cinch down nice on the channel and hold the rings very well.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Chain link and cinch buckle combo from AHE. I changed out the stock cord on the end channel of my TL hammock in the manner that GvilleDave describes above. Very easy, took about ten minutes. I would check with Paul at AHE quickly as I think he may stop making/carrying the cinch buckles. The thing I like about the cinch buckles is their lighter weight and you don't need the back-up half hitch, Paul & Brandon at WB recommend that you NOT use a half hitch, as it tends to twist the buckles.

KJ

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Oops....I just checked the AHE website, and the cinch buckles are gone. Sorry. Maybe someone else can suggest a place to get then.
    Oh well, the rings still work well, and are a great way to set-up your suspension.
    KJ

Hammock
    SBP
    Tarp
    Ewotah 10x10
    Insulation
    USGI Woobie
    Suspension
    JRB
    I am looking for the cinch buckles as well...

• + New Posts