HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Seems a little heavy and pricey.
    I paid the same amount for my 20 degree WM ultralite, so I guess it's typical WM prices. As for weight, this combo versus my current WM bag and Wally world CCF pad would be adding 6 oz to my weight. I bet anything you could cut a ccf pad to fit in this sleeve (as opposed to the heavier inflating pad that comes with it) and shave off some from that 6 oz weight difference. This would solve the problem some people have of sliding off the ccf pad in the hammock, and it looks like you can remove the self-inflating pad so if you ever had to sleep in a shelter, you could lay the pad down first and then the bag.

Has anyone out there used one of these?
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Suggest reading the backpackinglight.com article about alternative sleep systems if you're considering something like this. Basically, it says (in pretty good detail) that with BA-type bags like this you get air gaps down the sides that reduce the efficiency of the bag, even though you're still carrying the weight. Seems like there's an easy fix to that, though...just sew a flap to the outside that zips to the pad sleeve, so the actual insulated part could still fold under the sleeper. Kinda like a very wide draft tube...maybe 6-8" wide. Haven't seen any top bags that do this, though.

OTOH, I think a homemade top bag like this would make an ideal overbag/bivy if it were big enough to keep your primary insulation lofted. Could turn a 3 season bag (or even a quilt) into a winter bag, and would keep you on the pad. Or keep multiple pads under you, since a CCF+insulated inflatable is common practice for winter camping.

And IIRC, JRB got #1 out of about 14 alternative sleep systems in that series...there was one on wearable sleep systems and another that included top bags, half bags, etc...IIRC the No Sniveler did well in both categories. That's why, no matter what I'm using for bottom insulation, I always have the NS in my kit.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Michele, what part of you gets cold? If it is only for butt or lower regions, try putting a second pad down. I am considering carrying a second pad that is about butt sized plus a few inches. Last time I slept with only a 1/4" pad underneath, I was fine until it got around 30. With the nest I can start sweating with the same pad at that temp. I think that adding a pad under the cold spot will fix it for me. I am going to test this when I get a chance.

The smaller pad will also serve as the break sit pad. It will be easier at breaks to use than getting my regular pad out each time.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12