Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

First over-night'er - 1.0oz w/big mamajamba&doors

This is the first hang out in the woods. I need to change the set up I think. The first issue is the trees are too close. I didn't have much room for adjustments. Comments?

The second issue is the tarp. I don't think I pitched it high enough. The hammock was set high enough to be a "chair", as described in the directions and video, but the tarp was right against the netting on the hammock - this caused an issue with condensation through the night.

The third issue is my sleeping pads. I had one CCF on the bottom and an inflatable Therm-A-Rest Trail Lite Reg. on top (between the hammock layers). Staying on the pads was a pain through the night. I had to adjust everything about 3 times - and my main concern was staying on the pads all night. It went down below freezing and every time I was off the pad I felt it - even in a 0deg bag.

Now, on to the doors. I forgot the directions to all of this when I left so I went by the seat of my pants and rigged it. The directions say the GRAY tab for the doors is to be on the bottom and the black one on top. In the pictures you will note I had the gray tab on top. I looked at this for a minute and thought it was the wrong way to set the doors up so I moved one and experimented. I couldn't get the pitch any better than I had it originally so I just left it. Can any of you offer suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I can improve on? When I set the tarp up last night I had it higher off the ground. I changed it just before I went to bed in case it started raining and blowing - I wanted to keep the wind driven rain out from under the tarp/my gear underneath.

I had a 15' length of chord running for the ridgeline on the tarp and there was a few feet on either end to work with. Should I forget the "ridgeline" approach and cut that chord in half - then attach to each end of the tarp (the single ring below)?

I also had my back aching all night. I don't think I had the hammock tight enough. The ridgeline was pretty tight but I felt like I was curved too much and there was too much pressure on my upper back/neck. I think I need to get a full-coverage quilt and forget the pads - that way I don't have to worry about staying on top of the pads so I don't freeze my balls off.

Thanks for reading through and I'd appreciate any "critiques"

Can you see my chords? Cool stuff.

We did find another great use of these tarps - they make GREAT shelters in the rain so we can prepare dinner. No animals to worry about where we were so the "smells" aren't an issue. I am going to get a Superfly strictly for this purpose. The tarp rigged between a couple of trees and the ends inclosed is the greatest addition to our group trips since sliced bread. We've used the old-school tarp pitched as a lean-to approach before but it doesn't hold a candle to these tarps and doors. With my hammock in there my buddy and I had enough space, but for longer trek's with more people we need a separate rig.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You definitely needed a little more room between the trees for that tarp. It should pitch much tighter.

I'd ditch the 'full' ridgeline and just tie each ridge end to the tree separately, on that tarp in particular.

The condensation wasn't because of how low the tarp was...that's just a function of your body's expulsion of moisture and the temps. It might have been lessened by leaving one of the doors open a bit if the wind allowed.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    The first issue is the trees are too close. I didn't have much room for adjustments.
    I also had my back aching all night. I don't think I had the hammock tight enough.
    I'd say so! This is why your back hurt, I think. Next time you need to find trees farther apart. You should find this to help tremendously

The second issue is the tarp. I don't think I pitched it high enough.
    I think the trees being too close didn't allow you to fully stretch the tarp out. It look like it's bunching up a bit in your pictures, which probably allowed it to sag. Try raising it up a bit, and that will help with the condensation.

Staying on the pads was a pain through the night.
    Ditch the second pad, and stick with which ever one you like better. Put it on top of the layers, so you're sleeping directly on it, and unzip your bag like a top quilt. I think you'll find this immensely more comfortable, because I find it's easier to adjust the pad under you when your directly on it. I have never been able to get in my hammock, without the pad moving, when it's between the layers. If you find you need more warmth, I'd suggest adding an Underquilt to this setup.

Should I forget the "ridgeline" approach and cut that chord in half - then attach to each end of the tarp (the single ring below)?
    It depends on how you're fastening to the tree. I use a mini-biener on one side, and a figure 9 on the other. My D-rings are attached to the ridgeline with a bit of line, and a taughtline hitch. This allows me to move the tarp down the line so I can center it over the hammock. If, however, you're tying both sides off, then I think you could get away with removing the ridgeline, but your weight savings are going to be minimal, depending on the line your using.

You have the begginings of a great setup, all you need is practice. Remember to choose trees around 15' apart (five or six good paces.) Good luck, and I hope this helps you at all.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Of course I don't have any pictures of this, but how I rigged up the tarp was I used a single 15' run of the 1/8" glo-chord (kernmantle with super reflective strands in the outer sheath) to go the whole length of the tarp. I tied over-hand knots on each of the bottom rings. Then I passed the pigtail on each end through the biners I used for the hammock suspension against the trees. Then the pigtails passed through the double rings on the tarp with a safety knot. The safety knot was a simple over-hand knot with a loop, that way I could release it real easy. This knot worked just fine.

In simple terms the rigging for the tarp was tied in to the biners holding up the hammock - the tarp wasn't a separate rigging, if that makes sense. This set up eliminated the possibility of adjusting the tarp separate from the hammock.

To that point, I am thinking that cutting the 15' chord I used as a ridgeline for the tarp in half is the best route. Then I can attach each half to the bottom single rings and have the length pass through the double rings with a safety knot for adjustments. That would allow 7.5', or there abouts, for the ends of the tarp. I could wrap that around trees and have a bit of room for adjustments.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I forgot to mention this too - another issue I ran in to is my sleeping bag has a right hand zipper and the hammock has a left hand zipper. That made for an interesting night. 2 beers before bed and I made a few trips in and out of the hammock all night. I have a fleece liner for my bag and as if the bag wasn't enough to position adequately.. I had the liner to try and manuver underneath me too. Maybe pitching a bit tighter would help as I wouldn't have as much of a curve to deal with. We'll see.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    I passed the pigtail on each end through the biners I used for the hammock suspension against the trees.
    That's why it looked to me like it was sagging. As far as I know, I don't think you should be attaching your tarp suspension to your hammock suspension. Try wrapping it around the trees, and if you don't have enough line you can cut your cord, and tie off each d-ring like you had wanted.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'd ditch the 'full' ridgeline and just tie each ridge end to the tree separately, on that tarp in particular.
    angrysparrow

i just ordered this tarp tonight, can i ask why you say this? and get a bit of an explanation

thanks

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i just ordered this tarp tonight, can i ask why you say this? and get a bit of an explanation
    The WB tarp ridgelines are bound with grosgrain. IMO that seam needs to be pulled a little tighter than non-bound tarps to get the best taut pitch. That's easiest to do when you use a separate ridge tie on either end.

I find that especially important if you use the WB door kit, which compresses the side panels if the tarp isn't taut.

JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    That's good to know AS, thanks for the post.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The WB tarp ridgelines are bound with grosgrain. IMO that seam needs to be pulled a little tighter than non-bound tarps to get the best taut pitch. That's easiest to do when you use a separate ridge tie on either end.

I find that especially important if you use the WB door kit, which compresses the side panels if the tarp isn't taut.

JMO
    thanks for the reply, that seems to make sense, i saw where brandon says on his website that his tarps like to be pitched pretty taut, must be the reason

i got a new tarp coming and already have my tarp flyz from dutch, gonna be a good summer

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast