WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap

Guylines ?

I am a brand new noob. I have my WBBB on order and waiting for it to get here and trying to put together all the other things I need. So what is the best brand of guylines, size I need and where will I get the best deal. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by GrizzlyHackle; 04-03-2011 at 20:35.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I take statements like this... Which was pulled from one of the above links...

NoTangle GuideLines Simply the very best guideline cord available!
    With a huge grain of salt. There are so many variables in guideline choice its difficult to make a recommendation without information.

The cheapest would probably be some masons line from your local hardware store along with some rubber bands or shock cord. But you'll be dealing with tangles and what not if not stored properly and some DIY to get them made.

Dealing with tangle issues is not saved only for masons line either. You must come up with a storage system to handle stowage. I do it one of 2 ways. I either furl my lines up into my tarp around my ridge-line and hold it all in place with some velcro cable ties, or figure 8 wrap them around my fingers and lock it off with a wrap or 2 around the bundle.

Are you concerned with weight? Cold weather use? Wet weather use? What is your tarp made of? Do you need tensioning guy-lines?

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I have to agree with Opie. A broad question will recieve a broad answer. You need to narrow down your options a bit. Tell us how you plan to use them, and mabey some of those with high experience can guide you better. Are you looking for simplicity in setup, light weight, reflectivity, self-tentioning? There are trade offs with different line if I'm not mistaken.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap
    Opie and gRa thanks for the straight forward answer. Being new to this I really did not think to explain what kind of camping I was doing would make that much difference in the type of line. So here is my criteria....

1) Not really to concerned about weight since most of my hanging will be at campsites that I can get to from my car. I do a lot of Fly Fishing and the hammock is going to be my sleeping companion for the streams of the SE.

2) Most of my camping will be Spring/Fall with a little of winter camping as I get more knowledge. Even during the winter in the mountains of GA it is usually not as cold as up North.

3) First tarp is just the Guide Gear Tarp from Bargin Outfitters that I learned about on the forum. I know it will probably not be long before I upgrade it to either a Warbonnet Big Mamajamba or a Gargoyle Mega Ogee.

4) Planning on using the tensioners that I saw on the site using the Dogbones and shock cord.

5) And to let you know I am going to be hanging the tarp from my just purchased Single Line Tarp Ridgeline from Whoopieslings.com.

Thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

All you need to know is:

Stay away from nylon, unless you enjoy re-adjusting your guys all night long during rainstorms.

Jim

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Dacron kite string

200 lb test dacron kite string works well for me. Your stakes will pull out before your line breaks. If you get the braided line you can do whoopie slings, UCRs, locked brummels and all that other fun stuff. Kitebuilder.com is one vendor. The only down side is you have to buy a roll of line (500 ft?).

Happy Trails

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Maybe I should have asked this question myself. I just ordered a new WBBB, and just ordered the 100' mini spool of dyneema with it. I figured if Brandon sold it, it was probably what he used (I watched his you tube videos). I need a source for shock cord, do fabric stores usually keep it?

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG 40* Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txdiamond17 View Post
    Maybe I should have asked this question myself. I just ordered a new WBBB, and just ordered the 100' mini spool of dyneema with it. I figured if Brandon sold it, it was probably what he used (I watched his you tube videos). I need a source for shock cord, do fabric stores usually keep it?
    I ordered the dyneema myself. I haven't put the guylines on my tarp yet so I can't speak for its quality compared to the other options.

I bought my shockcord from http://questoutfitters.com/index.html I know you can find it cheaper other places if you buy 100 yards or more but Quest sells it by the yard so you can get just what you need.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txdiamond17 View Post
    I need a source for shock cord...
    Last time I checked, REI was selling the 1/8" shock cord, I think, by the foot, or yard, but you could check there.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast