Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

New to hanging...which hammock

Posted once and been lurking since...have learned a great deal. I'm 6'4/250. I've narrowed my search down to three hammocks....HH Explore deluxe, Claytor Jungle Hammock and the ENO double nest. I'm leaning towards the HH. I guess I like the HH because of the "ease" of entering...at least the video makes it look easy. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger. Since this is my first hammock...not sure I can make a mistake with any of these. Thanks for all the info you post and cheers, bill

I'm not much help here as I only use a HH (everything looks yellow to the jaundiced eye?) but I'm happy with it. I plan to take it on a long section hike this Spring.

Welcome to this forum. There is a lot of Hangin' Info from a lot of really smart people. I only wish I were one of them!

TWS

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Thumbs up

Of the 3, I've used a Hennessy and a Treklight double (same hammock as the Eno, different name) but I would think you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Many have just the opposite opinion about the Hennessy velcro entrance/exit. Preferring the top loader entrance/exit. IMO a Hennessy is much harder to deal with pads inside the hammock than other hammocks. Like a pad wraslin match. It does get somewhat better with practice.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-09-2008 at 17:23.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shf View Post
    Posted once and been lurking since...have learned a great deal. I'm 6'4/250. I've narrowed my search down to three hammocks....HH Explore deluxe, Claytor Jungle Hammock and the ENO double nest. I'm leaning towards the HH. I guess I like the HH because of the "ease" of entering...at least the video makes it look easy. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger. Since this is my first hammock...not sure I can make a mistake with any of these. Thanks for all the info you post and cheers, bill
    Lots of people find they like entry and exit from the top better. I'm agnostic on that. I will say I've used an HH under very serious bug conditions and I liked being able to slip into the hammock with a minimum of opening it up.

I have more than one Explorer. Very roomy and I really like having everything sealed up and safe from bugs. BUT I don't like insulation inside the hammock with me, which means an UQ for the HH, more $$, at least for me. Another aspect that divides folks is the size of the tarp. I like mine bigger so that in poor weather I can sit under it outside of the hammock. With the normal HH the best you will do is protect the hammock; and then only if you get everything Exactly Right.

Something I like a lot about the Jungle Hammock design is that it has a double-body, which makes it really easy to slip in a pad between the layers. It is smaller than the Explorer I think, but I know at least one big guy on the forums who left the HH Explorer for the Jungle Hammock. BUT that bottom body is not breathable. Great for keeping out side-splashed rain, but most people round here are hesitant about knowingly cuddling up to non-breathable fabric. But then there are a bunch of Claytor fans here, so go figure. Camo everywhere is cool if you like that sort of thing. A heavier rig all told than the HH, but maybe that balances out if you bring an UQ with the HH and a pad with the Jungle Hammock.

Lots of folks like the ENO, the width is great for getting a good diagonal. Some complain about the sides flapping in their faces, but there are DIY solutions to that. You need to spring for a tarp, bugnetting (pre-supposing you want it, if not then your choice is clear), and under insulation.

Finally, all these hammocks are made overseas. That matters to some folks who have expressed surprise on seeing "Made in China" or "Made in Thailand" on their hammocks. For hammocks made in the USA see Speer hammocks, Clark hammocks, or the JRB Bridge Hammock.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 02-10-2008 at 00:04. Reason: forgot to include the Clark hammock in the US list

• + New Posts