Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Richloam Wilderness - Central Florida

April 1-3
    Richloam Wilderness
    Webster, Florida
    Hike & Hang - Islander & Richtorfla

We met at the Richloam trailhead just before sunset Friday evening. Work is a must for us both, needless to say we had our gear packed and ready Thursday. Wednesday-Thursday in the Central Florida area a large storm front pushed through bringing high winds and lots of needed rain. Weather forecasts for the weekend looked good as the storm front passed though, bringing some damage to the areas it passed over.

A number of large trees were down from the high winds, and drainage ditches were filled with rain run-off, previously being bone dry. It was going to be a wet hike for sure.

We metup about a half mile onto the Richloam trail, setting up camp and getting comfortable after a long work week. Richtorfla & myself [Islander] metup, Rick getting on the trail a few hours ahead of me. I scoped out a few select Piney trees to hang my hammock & tarp. Rick had already found his spot. Once settled between my trees, we gathered some firewood and stoked up a cooking fire for some Foil-wrap dinner. Texas Ranch Chicken & Rice, along with some brocolli thrown in for good measure.
    Rick brought along the fixens and included some charcoal briquets thrown alongside the fire to help the cooking process. Within 30 minutes our chicken was tender, and smelling good, good good.
    Nothing like good eats on the trail.

We joked and spent some time around the campfire before setting into each of our hammocks. Nothing better than the comfy cacoon of the hammock over-night. By far the best sleep there is. Out in the piney woods, hearing the birds and smelling the fresh air all evening long.

Morning sunrise came all too soon, hearing the early birds singing and telling us its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Nothing better. Always a good nights' sleep for me. I believe Rick will agree, as do most hammock campers. We gathered some small sticks to feed into the latest wood burning toy, a BackCountry Boiler. Nice little kettle burner. Fill it with water, light some kindling and feed it into a small morning fire to make the morning coffee. That, and some water for our Oatmeal and we were ready for the day.

Packed up camp after enjoying a 2nd Cup-O-Coffee and the morning sunshine. Morning is the best time of day for me.

Looked over our maps and turned on the GPS to keep us straight. We were hiking the Richloam Southern Loop this weekend. 12.5 miles of mixed trails, and the Withlacoochie River at about the half-way point to refill on water. Can't ask for a better plan than that. Decided we were going to hike this loop in the clockwise direction, starting towards the east, then south towards the Withlacoohie River, and back north Sunday. Past trips I have hiked the southern loop counter-clockwise. After this trip, I prefer the hike in the clock-wise direction. Water refill worked out much better in this direction.

About two miles onto the trail we discovered allot of the trail had standing water from the storm a day earlier. Then after crossing Clay Sink Road onto Forest Road 30/31 and picking up the trail it was completely covered over for about a half mile. Literally turning the trail back into the "Swamp" its known as, especially with Rainy Season gearing up this time of year. This was just the first real hard rain of the season, and already the trail area here, known as "Yankee Swamp" was a good 1'foot under water. Some places 18" or so. We took off our hiking boots and socks and rolled up the pants legs and trekked our way through. Keeping an eye open for water moccasins and such.
    The barefoot hiking through the wet swampy trail was actually kinda soothing to the feet for me. Once onto dryer trail we got back into our hiking shoes.

Weather was incredibly comfortable. Super clear sky, fresh leafy green trees everywhere, and lots of birds out. We did come across a few Turkey hunters in the area, hearing their turkey boxes looking for the elusive wild turkeys. I only heard one gunshot all weekend long.

We stopped around 2:30 for lunch under a few shady oaks, pulled out our portable stools, and lunch bags to have-at-it. Flour tortilla and chicken salad for me, similar with Salmon for Rick. More good Eats. A nice break from the hike.

We wound our way through the trails, most dry now, with a few wet patches, but nothing like the Yankee Swamp area earlier in the day. We arrived along the Withlacoochie River banks around 4:30. Topped off our water and noticed the river had risen almost two feet from a month ago I was here last. Pretty, pretty water flow. After topping off with water and a short break we began looking for a good spot to hang from, not too far from the river. We ended up about half-way between the distance the trail skirts along the river. Went into the woods a few hundred yards, and found a nice clear, quiet area.
    Set-up camp between our select tress, and took off our damp hiking shoes and socks. Long day on the trail. Satisfying hike, but feet were glad to feel the fresh air on them. Let-Em' Breathe! I slipped on my camp Flip-Flops I always have along with me. I prefer them to the Crocs I see most campers use.

Campfire was burning in no time, along with the normal joking and story telling we all do after a day hiking. Another gorgeous evening with lots of stars out. Perfect weather for sleeping, Evening tempertures were in the 50's. Daytime temps, low 80's.
    The return hike on Sunday was the shorter hike, as we hiked 8.6 miles Saturday, the remaining miles Sunday. We arrived at the Richloam firetower mid-day. I decided to climb the firetower for a few photos, amazing view over all the Richloam Wilderness area. Very pretty view.
    Ended the trip eating a Big Sunday Breakfast @ Denny's on the way home.
    You couldn't ask for a better hiking & hanging weekend. Good Times!

Hiking Video to follow as soon as I can edit a bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Sounds like you guys had a great trip! I need to hook up with you guys some time, I'm over here on the space coast!

Tbull

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sounds like a great weekend. My b-n-law came back from Ga. Friday and said that there was water standing all along SR 471, figured you would find some of the trail wet. I wouldn't have been able to make this one anyway. The storm left tons of firewood on the ground behind the house to clear away. Your pic from the tower threw me at first, I didn't think that you could see the river from the tower, then I noticed the fence and the road.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks guys, and if anyone is planning to get out there these coming weekends, Bring some dry socks. The pair you wear starting out will get wet.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great trip report! Wow! you described the trail as a completely different experience than we had a month ago on the same trail. Imagine what that area will be like at the END of the rainy season! We would be hiking in scuba gear,
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Hey Islander! You summed up the weekend really well! I had a great time! Saw some old growth oaks and one of my favorite moments was watching three hawks play when we were eating our Sat. lunch. Learned that I need to quit carrying enough stuff for the crew and have just what I need. Might make the back and shoulders feel better. It was a real good weekend. Glad we could get away since I couldn't make the 16th hang. It was also nice to see that the turkey hunters that were out for the weekend had respect for us hikers as I respect them! For that I am thankful!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love it!!!! An OHM, Mini-Atomic, cool stool, neat wood burner.....ya'll had it all going on))))))))
    Looks like nice weather as well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Actually the "mini atomic" pic is my home made Don Johnston's photon stove design. I made it probably seven years ago. She's been a good one! We did have it going on. Good company made it a great time.

• + New Posts