Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I just have to find someway to fall asleep in it.
    One other piece of gear might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Liquor.../dp/B001DDRZXI

Just be sure you make it INTO the hammock.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I live about 15 minutes from greenville ,SC. Id love a lesson sometime haha. I don't wanna give up just yet.
    Let me know when, I'll haul my box o' hammock goodies down that way and we'll play around with it. How about Cowpens some time? I'll even let you buy me lunch, maybe some good SC BBQ.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    One other piece of gear might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Liquor.../dp/B001DDRZXI

Just be sure you make it INTO the hammock.
    I forgot to mention I did bring a little bit of crown to help me sleep and it didnt work either haha

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Let me know when, I'll haul my box o' hammock goodies down that way and we'll play around with it. How about Cowpens some time? I'll even let you buy me lunch, maybe some good SC BBQ.
    haha sure man, Sounds like a plan, We can set something up sometime

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Sleeping bag ratings are often misunderstood. The 50 degree's is a survival rating not a comfort rating. A 50 degree bag is maybe good down to 60 depending on how warm a sleeper you are. Any type of wind will drop the perceived temperature even more due to wind chill. In a hammock you will typically need to plan for more insulation than you would in a tent on the ground.

Hammocks aren't for everyone but don't give up yet. You made a couple easily corrected mistakes.

The coldest I have been on any hike was fourth of July weekend last year. I was not prepared for the temps to hit 45 overnight and to be out in the open on a bluff. Poor site selection and a 60 degree sleeping bag left me cold.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    NewtonGT . . . May 20th - 22nd is the Goat Island Hang. There will be several different setups there that you can take a look at, WBBB, DIY, HH, etc... Join us

I'll be willing to bet that you elevate the foot end of your hammock a tad, as previously mentioned. The other thing to consider is to try an UQ. Although, if your Exped does not have a zipper and uses the bottom entry, you may want to consider sending your hammock to 2QZQ and letting them mod it with a zipper. This will make it much easier to adjust the UQ when you are in the hammock.

Again . . . May 20th-22nd . . . Goat Island
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Sleeping bag ratings are often misunderstood. The 50 degree's is a survival rating not a comfort rating. A 50 degree bag is maybe good down to 60 depending on how warm a sleeper you are. Any type of wind will drop the perceived temperature even more due to wind chill. In a hammock you will typically need to plan for more insulation than you would in a tent on the ground.

Hammocks aren't for everyone but don't give up yet. You made a couple easily corrected mistakes.

The coldest I have been on any hike was fourth of July weekend last year. I was not prepared for the temps to hit 45 overnight and to be out in the open on a bluff. Poor site selection and a 60 degree sleeping bag left me cold.
    Yea I brought the wrong sleeping bag. I have a 15 degree and I didnt bring it. I also was right beside the river. I made alot of mistakes but the first night I was warm and comfy but I couldnt sleep on my back. I need to figure out how to set this thing up correctly.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    NewtonGT . . . May 20th - 22nd is the Goat Island Hang. There will be several different setups there that you can take a look at, WBBB, DIY, HH, etc... Join us

I'll be willing to bet that you elevate the foot end of your hammock a tad, as previously mentioned. The other thing to consider is to try an UQ. Although, if your Exped does not have a zipper and uses the bottom entry, you may want to consider sending your hammock to 2QZQ and letting them mod it with a zipper. This will make it much easier to adjust the UQ when you are in the hammock.

Again . . . May 20th-22nd . . . Goat Island
    I am going to goat island haha. but I have planned to get the mod 3 from 2qzq but I might try and see if I can get the HH pad because its supposed to not slide like my thermarest self inflating pad

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Tylenol PM for that little dozing off effect.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am going to goat island haha. but I have planned to get the mod 3 from 2qzq but I might try and see if I can get the HH pad because its supposed to not slide like my thermarest self inflating pad
    This is a shameless plug for the Goat Island hang --> Make sure your name is on this list

Now to the topic - (probably already stated above but )when using a pad make sure it is NOT fully inflated. Now that I know how, I actually get the BEST sleep in my hammock with my pad fully deflated...

rolled up and left in the garage at home while my DIY UQ hangs under my hammock.

Best of luck getting your sleep fine tuned and I look forward to meeting you at the GI hang.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast