Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    This is a shameless plug for the Goat Island hang --> Make sure your name is on this list

Now to the topic - (probably already stated above but )when using a pad make sure it is NOT fully inflated. Now that I know how, I actually get the BEST sleep in my hammock with my pad fully deflated...

rolled up and left in the garage at home while my DIY UQ hangs under my hammock.

Best of luck getting your sleep fine tuned and I look forward to meeting you at the GI hang.
    I am looking at getting some parts off the HH supershelter and using it. or does anyone know of someway to get an UQ without paying 2 million dollars?
    oh and yea ill add my name to the list haha

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I am looking at getting some parts off the HH supershelter and using it. or does anyone know of someway to get an UQ without paying 2 million dollars?
    oh and yea ill add my name to the list haha
    Do you know how to use a thread injector? I put my last UQ together for <$100. I am always willing to help. My wife won't like to hear this but I enjoy these types of projects and if'n you can come into the area w/ the material I am sure we could get a quilt put together for you on the cheap
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    Do you know how to use a thread injector? I put my last UQ together for <$100. I am always willing to help. My wife won't like to hear this but I enjoy these types of projects and if'n you can come into the area w/ the material I am sure we could get a quilt put together for you on the cheap
    PM sent. that would be aweasome. id like to see if I could get it done for a little bit cheaper though

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Sorry to hear you were cold.
    I was experimenting with a prototype of some new summer gear this weekend and the temp ended up nearly 10 degrees cooler than I had expected. I got rather cold myself. Not much fun, huh?!
    At least we both learned something.

Here is how I made my UQ:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/

Cost of all materials is about $60.
    If you don't know how to sew, let me know. There are other options.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Sorry to hear you were cold.
    I was experimenting with a prototype of some new summer gear this weekend and the temp ended up nearly 10 degrees cooler than I had expected. I got rather cold myself. Not much fun, huh?!
    At least we both learned something.

Here is how I made my UQ:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/

Cost of all materials is about $60.
    If you don't know how to sew, let me know. There are other options.
    haha yea I was up at the chatooga river and it was 80 something and a beautiful day. and out of no where dropped to below 40. it was awful

Images
    ......... I definently don't want to give up because it was so much nicer to pack up and it was lovely to lay in during the day. I just have to find someway to fall asleep in it.
    There is, IMO, def a psychological factor for many folks when trying to sleep hanging suspended over the ground. Many have reported being very comfortable but just can't fall asleep at least at first. This still affects me(after 4 years) in the back yard. Fortunately, it has never been a problem on the trail. After a good days hike and in the total darkness of the woods, I am always out quickly for a wonderfully restful sleep. It was this way for me from day 2 on the trail. Would have been day 1, except I froze and woke up shivering- no problems since then though. Always toasty!

Do you use 2 hiking poles? If so, check the distance when you have them held out to your sides. For me it is about 12 or 13 feet, which is perfect for many hammocks. 13 feet is recommended for my HH Explorer, a somewhat longer model. The hiking poles will make it easy for you to gauge correct distance in the woods, at least 12 or 13 feet and not more than 15 to 18 feet if possible. I prefer the smaller distances when possible.

A pad is not near as comfy for most folks, but it is better than freezing. You are going to need something any time it is less than 70 or even 75, especially if windy.

Take Hooch up on that offer, or find a group hang ASAP! Good luck!

wildernesslogics has a synthetic partial length underquilt for 85 bucks.. cheapest I've seen for any UQ anywhere.. they're members on here, you'll see their link on the top of the page from timeto time

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    so shoot for 12 to 13 feet? I dont hike with poles but I can bring something or figure out a way. but there is a new twist in the story. I got home to set it up and I found out i left my tree straps at the campsite 45 minutes away.

Images
    so shoot for 12 to 13 feet? I dont hike with poles but I can bring something or figure out a way. but there is a new twist in the story. I got home to set it up and I found out i left my tree straps at the campsite 45 minutes away.
    I have often feared doing just that! I developed a habit early on: As soon as I pull the hammock down, while my hands are on the rope(after undoing the lashing) and tree straps, I run the rope through the webbing loop and tie a knot so that they stay together. So far so good. Recently, while switching from one hammock to another for testing, I headed out with a HH stock suspension. Took it down off of the hammock stand which I don't use tree savers on. Left the tree savers on the porch floor and discovered it once I was in the woods. I used some sticks between the HH rope and tree. I saw zero impact on the tree, much less than I occasionally have with the webbing tree huggers. I would use the webbing normally, but in an "emergency" I will use the sticks.

And yes, with an HH 12-13 feet out to be just about right. ( you can just "pace" it off after determining the ~ length of your pace) Too little and you will not be able to get the ridge line and tarp tight enough and might have way too much sag for optimum comfort. Too far- even much past 15 feet- and you will have to put the tree huggers way up high in the tree- maybe higher than you can reach and tie the knot- in order to keep your butt or UQ off of the ground. Of course, IF you had webbing suspension with carabiner and cinch buckle( a common mod) AND if you used hiking poles, you could push the webbing up as high as you need it.

EDIT: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.html
    Distance between trees. The recommended distance between trees is 12' to 25' feet / 3.658 to 7.62 meter for the Expedition Asym and Ulralight Backpacker Asym models and 13'-26' / 3.962-7.925 meters for the Explorer and Safari models.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have often feared doing just that! I developed a habit early on: As soon as I pull the hammock down, while my hands are on the rope(after undoing the lashing) and tree straps, I run the rope through the webbing loop and tie a knot so that they stay together. So far so good. Recently, while switching from one hammock to another for testing, I headed out with a HH stock suspension. Took it down off of the hammock stand which I don't use tree savers on. Left the tree savers on the porch floor and discovered it once I was in the woods. I used some sticks between the HH rope and tree. I saw zero impact on the tree, much less than I occasionally have with the webbing tree huggers. I would use the webbing normally, but in an "emergency" I will use the sticks.

And yes, with an HH 12-13 feet out to be just about right. ( you can just "pace" it off after determining the ~ length of your pace) Too little and you will not be able to get the ridge line and tarp tight enough and might have way too much sag for optimum comfort. Too far- even much past 15 feet- and you will have to put the tree huggers way up high in the tree- maybe higher than you can reach and tie the knot- in order to keep your butt or UQ off of the ground. Of course, IF you had webbing suspension with carabiner and cinch buckle( a common mod) AND if you used hiking poles, you could push the webbing up as high as you need it.

EDIT: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setup.html
    I just bought two carabiners and 4 descending rings and had a new set up to try until i realized i left my straps in the woods. but i think most of my problem was the trees were too close and I was dumb and removed my pad and froze to death. but ive learned alot from the failures. Im in the process of trying to get an UQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast