Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Introduction and a Couple of Questions

Greetings to everyone and thanks for a great forum!

My name is Joel and I'm a Lutheran pastor in Marquette, Michigan, and also a kayak designer/manufacturer/owner of Black Dog Kayaks. I've always been a DIY kind of guy and it's been fun taking some of my DIY ideas to the market. The NoBucks name goes back to my Jeepster days and Project No Bucks, building my '68 Jeepster on a budget. I still have the Jeepster, just no time to work on it lately.

I was introduced to hammock camping last year when we sponsored Kayak 4 A Kure, a couple of guys who kayaked the length of the Mississippi River in our tandem 21 foot skin-on-frame kayak. Speer Hammocks also sponsored them and they slept in hammocks most of the way down the River, and I caught the hammock bug from them.

Being a DIY kind of guy, I want to make my own bridge hammock for an upcoming kayak expedition either to Pictured Rocks, near Munising, Michigan, or, to the Apostle Islands in Northern Wisconsin (maybe both, if we can talk our wives into it). I'm not bad at sewing and my wife is our seamstress at Black Dog Kayaks and also works for a local canvas shop, so we can handle any sewing that's required to make a hammock.

Now, to my questions:

Question #1: I'm 6'10" tall and am wondering how much fabric I need to buy for the body of my hammock following GrizzlyAdams' excellent guide to making a bridge hammock? At 82.5 inches tall, I'm 2.5 inches taller than the total length of the hammock in the guide. I see that Grizz is 6'1" tall, so would it work if I just add 9 or 10 inches to the total length?

Question #2: At 240 lbs, will 1.9 oz fabric be strong enough for me? I found some 1.9 oz desert night camo ripstop at Wal-Mart for $3/yd. If not, I can order stronger fabric from one of our fabric suppliers, but the cost more than doubles.

Question #3: I've heard that hammock camping is prohibited in some campgrounds. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether it is allowed at Pictured Rocks or in the Apostle Islands? I haven't found anything in their camping regulations that prohibits it, but I plan to call them and ask anyway. I'd hate to get there and find out that it's prohibited.

Also, I just wanted to add that I was happy to see that Strapworks supports this forum. We use Strapworks for all of our webbing and related hardware and I can't say enough about their fast service.
    Last edited by NoBucks; 02-10-2008 at 01:09.
    Joel F.
    Marquette, Michigan

http://www.blackdogkayaks.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the forum NoBucks.
    Great decision to make yourself a bridge hammock. I'm slowly getting mine built. Almost done. Your ideas sound like they would work. I'm sure the bridge guru Grizz will chime in soon. What size tarp are you thinking of using? A Blackcat tarp with bigger dimensions than listed would be sweet. www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/

Here is a good thread talking about prohibited camping issues.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...cks+prohibited
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-10-2008 at 08:16.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    6' 10"... wow, i bet people tend to listen to you when you stand behind the pulpit welcome to HF Joel.
    since i've not gone the bridge hammock route, i'll have to let grizz & the others help you w/ that.
    and on the areas allowing hammocks, some of the others in that vicinity can probably help there too & i'm sure they will. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBucks View Post
    Greetings to everyone and thanks for a great forum!

My name is Joel and I'm a Lutheran pastor in Marquette, Michigan, and also a kayak designer/manufacturer/owner of Black Dog Kayaks. I've always been a DIY kind of guy and it's been fun taking some of my DIY ideas to the market. The NoBucks name goes back to my Jeepster days and Project No Bucks, building my '68 Jeepster on a budget. I still have the Jeepster, just no time to work on it lately.

I was introduced to hammock camping last year when we sponsored Kayak 4 A Kure, a couple of guys who kayaked the length of the Mississippi River in our tandem 21 foot skin-on-frame kayak. Speer Hammocks also sponsored them and they slept in hammocks most of the way down the River, and I caught the hammock bug from them.

Being a DIY kind of guy, I want to make my own bridge hammock for an upcoming kayak expedition either to Pictured Rocks, near Munising, Michigan, or, to the Apostle Islands in Northern Wisconsin (maybe both, if we can talk our wives into it). I'm not bad at sewing and my wife is our seamstress at Black Dog Kayaks and also works for a local canvas shop, so we can handle any sewing that's required to make a hammock.

Now, to my questions:

Question #1: I'm 6'10" tall and am wondering how much fabric I need to buy for the body of my hammock following GrizzlyAdams' excellent guide to making a bridge hammock? At 82.5 inches tall, I'm 2.5 inches taller than the total length of the hammock in the guide. I see that Grizz is 6'1" tall, so would it work if I just add 9 or 10 inches to the total length?

Question #2: At 240 lbs, will 1.9 oz fabric be strong enough for me? I found some 1.9 oz desert night camo ripstop at Wal-Mart for $3/yd. If not, I can order stronger fabric from one of our fabric suppliers, but the cost more than doubles.

Question #3: I've heard that hammock camping is prohibited in some campgrounds. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether it is allowed at Pictured Rocks or in the Apostle Islands? I haven't found anything in their camping regulations that prohibits it, but I plan to call them and ask anyway. I'd hate to get there and find out that it's prohibited.

Also, I just wanted to add that I was happy to see that Strapworks supports this forum. We use Strapworks for all of our webbing and related hardware and I can't say enough about their fast service.
    Hey Joe,
    I spent a great week in Marquette in the summer three years ago with a group of young Boy Scouts. We camped in a very nice city park and did day expeditions out and about, including a day-long kiyaking trip where we drove out about 20 miles to an outfitter's and then paddled out along a small river to Lake Michigan, had lunch and a nap (no hammocks then!) on a sandy beach, and returned. I grew up in Northern Minnesota and Marquette looks just like towns up there---ready for winter.

Welcome to HF.

I've found that if the bridge is very much longer than I am, then in the course of the night I end up at one end or the other, and balance of flatness is affected. What works for me now is to make the hammock 7-8 inches longer than I am. I'd expect the same tactice would work for you.

I've used 1.9 oz ripstop from Speers, and I think he rates it to 250 lbs.

I made a suspension that Just Fits under a 10' tarp ridgeline. The main advantage to having the entire suspension triangle under the tarp is that you then have one rope emerging from under the tarp and it makes closing off the ends a bit easier, e.g. for a storm. Since it is easier to carry a bigger tarp on a kayak than on your back, I'd recommend thinking about an essentially rectangular tarp where you can pull in an end. I'd wager that with a JRB or Speer 11'x10' tarp your could get your hammock under with a partially closed end giving almost 3 sides of protection. OES sells larger rectanglular tarps, as does owareusa.com

I wish I could answer your questions about hanging in the Painted Rocks area. One of these summers my sons and I plan on hiking the trail that skirts Lake Michigan and passes through there. We'd want to be hanging. Well, I should say, we will hanging, stealthily if necessary, but wouldn't have to worry about headlines in the local paper
    Local Lutheran pastor arrested for indecent enclosure in Painted Rocks State Park near school group picnic
    you know the press.

regards

Grizz

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Trek Light
    Tarp
    JH Diamond
    Insulation
    GG Foam
    Suspension
    Rings/ Web
    Welcome Nobucks. I think you will find all your answers here as I have. This is a great group of DIY members always there to answer any questions and help if needed. Nice web site, also.
    kmat

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    SIX TEN!!? Now theres a man everyone looks up to!! Welcome Joel!! I am new here too!! Ill tell you this..these guys will make you feel more than welcome...GREAT BUNCH OF FOLKS!!!! I GIVE THEM THE BIG HOO RAH!!!

On the fabric question..maybe if you double layer the fabric it will do two jobs
    strengthen it and add a little insulation to it as well...now!! I must say..I have no hammock building experience whats so ever...but I have built a plenty of survival items out of fabric and I always get better results out of two layers...most hammocks seem to be only one layer.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTSNIPER36 View Post
    SIX TEN!!? Now theres a man everyone looks up to!! Welcome Joel!! I am new here too!! Ill tell you this..these guys will make you feel more than welcome...GREAT BUNCH OF FOLKS!!!! I GIVE THEM THE BIG HOO RAH!!!

On the fabric question..maybe if you double layer the fabric it will do two jobs
    strengthen it and add a little insulation to it as well...now!! I must say..I have no hammock building experience whats so ever...but I have built a plenty of survival items out of fabric and I always get better results out of two layers...most hammocks seem to be only one layer.
    I agree. Give it two layers and you'll also be able to slide your pad(s) in for more comfort.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Welcome to the forums NoBucks. Haven't tried a bridge yet, but there are alot who have and I'm sure they will pass along a lot of useful info. This forum has alot of good info.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome! And I thought I had difficulties at 6' 5". You'll get plenty of answers here.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Images
    I have a ton of nights in my 1.9 ripstop hammock without any signs of wear and I started at 230 and am around 215 now. Just make sure you roll hem all the sides. Also use strong supports.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast