Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

Buy Quality!

Sounds like you are going on an adventure...cool.

Make sure you spend the money to buy quality. Name brands mentioned in this forum shouldn't steer you wrong. The last thing you want is a hammock that will let you down so far from home. One of the comments I appreciated early on when I was getting advice from the forum on what brand/model was 'Go out and buy a good one to start with, otherwise you'll spend alot just to end up buying it later' A good tarp for what you're doing should not be underestimated to get out of the weather nor some excellent rigging. If bugs could be an issue certainly a no-see-em screen. There is an article that many of us here found worth reading (more of a side note):

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=roosevelt

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    If side sleeping is a big thing for you, you may want to look into a bridge hammock. They sure are comfy! My votes still for the blackbird, but to be fair I haven't found a hammock yet that wasn't comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Hello all you tree swinging hammock lovers out there.. I need/want to buy a hammock system and need advice. I will be camping in southern Costa Rican rainforest at about 1000 ft. elevation so temps drop a little at night but not terribly and it doesn't get too hot in the day but does tend to rain at least daily and then in rainy season (which I may use it in as well) quite a lot.. so it is humid and warm but not too buggy though I definitely want a good bug net. And I am on a bit of a budget but also want to consider that it is an investment and I want to not cut corners too much either.. AND I am a side sleeper and though I love hammocks in general and can nap in them I have not tried an all night deal and am definitely interested in something that I can side sleep in comfortably enough (is also an issue in regular tent camping which I have overcome by using cheap inflatable blow up rafts in lieu of expensive air mattresses but sometimes one will have a leak, so that bites! :^).. pads.. well I haven't really found a decent one I like, so am also thinking a good hammock could be more comfy than the ground IF I can sleep on my side okay..)

I was looking at Hennessy hammocks first but then a friend said NO get a Clark they are much better and flatter/easier to sleep in.. I have been reading specs and reviews and am still confused about that issue..

So any advice would be welcomed.. I need to decide soon.. like this week so I have time to get it shipped..

THANK YOU!!!!!!
    I live in Baltimore if you would like to try out my warbonnet blackbird...just shoot me a pm and we can set it up. Also have a couple ENOs if you are considering them. You would need to figure out a bugnet system for them, but it wouldn't be hard..
    The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed. -Il Duce

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it. - Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I couldn't ever get comfterable in an ENO, and i'm not a picky sleeper either but I got a clark and they are amazing...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm not an experienced hammocker...but I've spent dirt time in the jungle.

Get something with a 'double bottom'. Warbonnet Blackbird has them, or the HH Jungle series.

The bottom line is that you want to put two layers of cloth between you and the critters that wanna eat you.

I'd also seriously recommend either again due to the BUILT IN bug netting...leaving far fewer potential gaps than something that wasn't built right to your hammock.

If you have the time/money, pre-treat your hammock (or all of your gear) with Permethrin as an insecticide/repellent. Bugs are the one thing that can always make this kind of trip turn into sheer misery.

I've got the HH Explorer Deluxe, and while it's a single bottom I'd picked up the HH supershelter and can use the undercover as that "second layer". It came with a hex tarp upgrade, and it's big enough to give me some moving room inside the hammock as well. Good if you're 'stuck' sitting there on hold in a downpour.

Just some thoughts...pretty much anything you pick up from the vendors here can work or be tweaked to work just fine.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Permethrin, permethrin, permethrin, ....

Enough about that. In my experience, if you are a back sleeper, there are a lot of hammocks that feel good. However, if you are solely a side sleeper and switch sides during the night, your hammock choice is much more critical. Try to get to a group hang and try out some options. I am in the side sleeper camp and for me the Tree to Trail Gear Switchback can't be beat. I also have a Warbonnet Blackbird, which I think is a superb hammock --- IF you are a back sleeper.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    while i usually prefer the wbbb i would take my hh scua w/ the supershelter (loose the ss pad & use a sb) - as owl wrote - to a place like that. weighs more, but it feels more rugged in a military sense
    back or side sleep is doable in both and i often end up somewhere between the two positions. one of the miracles of hammock sleeping... hth

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    PS- just found where they post 'hangs'..
    And you're in luck - the upcoming MAHHA hang at Pine grove Furnace will have many, many options to look at and try out - perhaps the best "hammock expo" to date.

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising
    ...to be fair I haven't found a hammock yet that wasn't comfortable...
    This poster is fortunate; one reason we explore so many possibilities on HF (aside from our innate inquisitive nature) is that no hammock fits everyone. I suggest that it's likely also true that no person (under the age of ... mmm ... ten) would be comfortable in absolutely any hammock. (Thexuprising, live on in ignorant bliss as long as you can. )

Thanks all! Just seeing all the posts on this page as I had not noticed the little '2' for the second page of posts and did not think there had been more comments.. so thanks! More to think on now!

That would be awesome Jollyllama, thank you so much! When is good for you?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast