Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie not sure what hammock to buy, please help!

Hello all you tree swinging hammock lovers out there.. I need/want to buy a hammock system and need advice. I will be camping in southern Costa Rican rainforest at about 1000 ft. elevation so temps drop a little at night but not terribly and it doesn't get too hot in the day but does tend to rain at least daily and then in rainy season (which I may use it in as well) quite a lot.. so it is humid and warm but not too buggy though I definitely want a good bug net. And I am on a bit of a budget but also want to consider that it is an investment and I want to not cut corners too much either.. AND I am a side sleeper and though I love hammocks in general and can nap in them I have not tried an all night deal and am definitely interested in something that I can side sleep in comfortably enough (is also an issue in regular tent camping which I have overcome by using cheap inflatable blow up rafts in lieu of expensive air mattresses but sometimes one will have a leak, so that bites! :^).. pads.. well I haven't really found a decent one I like, so am also thinking a good hammock could be more comfy than the ground IF I can sleep on my side okay..)

I was looking at Hennessy hammocks first but then a friend said NO get a Clark they are much better and flatter/easier to sleep in.. I have been reading specs and reviews and am still confused about that issue..

So any advice would be welcomed.. I need to decide soon.. like this week so I have time to get it shipped..

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want to peruse this section of the Forum...."Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services". It will help you see what other think.
    My opinion would be a Warbonnet BlackBird. Wonderful integrated bug-net that stays up off your face.
    Ultimately your choice though.
    Have fun searching.
    Shug
    BTW...I had the best tomato sandwich of my life in Costa Rica.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You may want to peruse this section of the Forum...."Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services". It will help you see what other think.
    My opinion would be a Warbonnet BlackBird. Wonderful integrated bug-net that stays up off your face.
    Ultimately your choice though.
    Have fun searching.
    Shug
    BTW...I had the best tomato sandwich of my life in Costa Rica.
    Can't beat Shug's advice. Just add a +1 to it!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Give the Tree to Tree Trail Gear SwitchBack a look as well. I cannot sleep on my side in my Warbonnet Blackbird, but can sleep on my side with no problem in my SwitchBack Light Hiker.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Better, easier and flatter are all rather subjective terms. It might be quite true for your friend but not so for yourself. Also your friend may not have been using his favorite hammock under the same conditions that you plan to, that makes it a whole different ball game. The Hennessy is tried and true and in conditions such as you mention and I can vouch that they are built very well, but there are other excellent choices. The Hennessys come with tarps but the tarps tend to be rather small in my experience, just big enough to cover the hammock well, not big enough to do much other than sleep. Other brands may or may not come with tarps at all so you might need to add the cost of a tarp to that of the hammock when comparing prices. I own a Hennessy Expedition, it is rated for people up to 6 ft. tall. I am 6ft and 165lbs so I am not a big broad shouldered, or big bellied guy. Still, while it works OK, things would have worked better if I had gotten a bigger size.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Thanks everyone! Such a great forum, so many quick responses! I did start looking at the section that one of you mentioned and will do as much research there as I can and maybe post my question there too (being new still finding my way around this site)... I didn't realize there were so many different hammock options.. which is good but also overwhelming.. I should have mentioned that I am long and skinny (6 feet tall, about 135-40 lbs) so maybe I will not have side sleep issues with some models as others have because of that? (though I am broad shouldered..) Anyway have been looking at the sites for the hammocks that have been mentioned so far, so thank you.. also have noticed the tarp issues and saw that Clarks have options for larger tarps and that in some cases they don't come with so will be additional cost.. have been trying to note the 'full' costs in all cases with the accessories I need included..

I would love to go to a 'hang' but how/where do I find them? I am in the DC metro area..

Thanks!!!

PS- just found where they post 'hangs'..

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

Buy Quality!

Sounds like you are going on an adventure...cool.

Make sure you spend the money to buy quality. Name brands mentioned in this forum shouldn't steer you wrong. The last thing you want is a hammock that will let you down so far from home. One of the comments I appreciated early on when I was getting advice from the forum on what brand/model was 'Go out and buy a good one to start with, otherwise you'll spend alot just to end up buying it later' A good tarp for what you're doing should not be underestimated to get out of the weather nor some excellent rigging. If bugs could be an issue certainly a no-see-em screen. There is an article that many of us here found worth reading (more of a side note):

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    PS- just found where they post 'hangs'..
    And you're in luck - the upcoming MAHHA hang at Pine grove Furnace will have many, many options to look at and try out - perhaps the best "hammock expo" to date.

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising
    ...to be fair I haven't found a hammock yet that wasn't comfortable...
    This poster is fortunate; one reason we explore so many possibilities on HF (aside from our innate inquisitive nature) is that no hammock fits everyone. I suggest that it's likely also true that no person (under the age of ... mmm ... ten) would be comfortable in absolutely any hammock. (Thexuprising, live on in ignorant bliss as long as you can. )

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    I should have mentioned that I am long and skinny (6 feet tall, about 135-40 lbs) so maybe I will not have side sleep issues with some models as others have because of that? (though I am broad shouldered..)
    Which ever brand you choose, I would suggest one of the longer models, especially as you are a 6 footer. For me, I find that my longer hammocks tend to be the most comfortable. Again, for me. YMMV. ( if you can, find out hammock fabric length, more so than RL length.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast