Simple ring centering

Here is a simple way to use rings to center your hammock. I don't know if there is another post like this, but this is what I do. It only requires 2 rings, no modification to the hammock and the rings can be removed if you want. You can also hang the hammock without using the rings. I tie 1 ring into the suspension line close to each end of the hammock using a flemish knot, (figure 8 knot). Use the tree huggers as specified by HH, but instead of tieing a figure 8 lashing at the tree huggers, just route the suspension line through the tree hugger loops back down to the rings. I use a half hitch to secure the hammock while centering. Once centered you can use whatever knot you want at the ring. I have used a figure 8 lashing. Please comment in regards to the safefty of this set up. I am not a mechanical engineer, some people are smarter than me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you just tie a clove hitch around the SMC ring it'll lock down under load but you can take the tension off of it and move it if need be. I also suggest using a rated lightweight carabiner between your tree huggers and the hammock rope.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    If you just tie a clove hitch around the SMC ring it'll lock down under load but you can take the tension off of it and move it if need be. I also suggest using a rated lightweight carabiner between your tree huggers and the hammock rope.
    yea verily. When you move the ring closer to the tree as opposed to a fixed position near the hammock end, you need less rope.

If you use a biner like Take-a-knee points out AND have the ring closer to the tree, you can take the rope between ring and biner more than once. Due to mechanical advantage this takes the force off the end. I've been doing this for months and get away with a slippery half-hitch at the end.

suffice to say, you're safe doing this with a highly rated ring like the SMC, and good knots.

Grizz

I like the clove hitch recommendation. I plan to use it. Thanks. What is the purpose of the carabiner through the tree hugger loops? Reduce abrasion?

• + New Posts