WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images

My Second Attempt At My First Question Lol!

Instead of buying a hammock quilt , could I use my goretex bivy bag from my 4 part sleep system ? Ive slept in snow , driving rain and just about any other messy situation you can think of , it does stop ALL of those situations but then again it is on the ground....yalls thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    for starters how far does that bivy open at the foot end? if it only opens part way, leaving a foot box, that makes it a little more challenging.
    same thing using a quilt or sleeping bag as an underquilt. it can still be done, just not as ideal as having something that will open up so it can be more easily wrapped around the sides of the hammock.

according to what temps you may find yourself in & how your body deals w/ the temps under a given combination of factors (fatigue, food intake, etc), that may or may not be enough. but you already knew that.
    but having a shell on the outside is a great help.

i'm sure others will chime in as they get back in from the weekend.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTSNIPER36 View Post
    Instead of buying a hammock quilt , could I use my goretex bivy bag from my 4 part sleep system ? Ive slept in snow , driving rain and just about any other messy situation you can think of , it does stop ALL of those situations but then again it is on the ground....yalls thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    i use an old closed cell military sleep pad between the 2 layers in my jungle hammock neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    roger that neo , I noticed that the jungle hammock has that built in , Im really glad you sent that link and will be glad when it arrives...I havent been this excited about gear in a while..IM READY!!!

SLOW , the bivy bag stops zipping at shin level , Im already used to humping a sleep system..do the quilts weigh alot?
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Quilts should be lighter depending on material. I made a 5oz Climashield bag/quilt that weights about 1.6 pounds on my scale. Not necessarily super accurate, but it is noticeably lighter than my snugpak patrol bag and it's fine into the high 20s. Neither the snugpak or the mss green bag will do that. I'm having Preacher Man's wife make a 3.7 oz one also and will probably use the two quilts like the green and black bag components of the sleep system only with less weight and bulk. Isn't there a new sleep system on the way though?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTSNIPER36 View Post
    roger that neo , I noticed that the jungle hammock has that built in , Im really glad you sent that link and will be glad when it arrives...I havent been this excited about gear in a while..IM READY!!!

SLOW , the bivy bag stops zipping at shin level , Im already used to humping a sleep system..do the quilts weigh alot?
    you could probably end up w/ a lighter, smaller sleep system if you you wanted.
    if you go to the articles block on the home page & select "hammock manufacturers", you will see links for both Speer Hammocks & Jacks R Better.
    they both have underquilts & you can find one that will keep you in good shape for the kind of temps you think you may be camping in.

one nice thing about an underquilt is that it's made to fit nicely on the hammock & can be left on when you pack it away.
    when you hang the hammock it's already in place. quick & simple when you're ready to get off your feet & out of the elements.

but... if you're getting the jungle hammock, i'll have to let some of the folks more familiar w/ those (& their double bottoms) suggest the best way to insulate them.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts