Yes, I am going to ask another amsteel whoopie sling question

I received my order of Amsteel from Redden last night and want to get going on making whoopie slings for both my Hennessey and my recently finished DIY gathered-end hammock(Thanks JustJeff!!), but I still have some questions even after viewing a bunch of videos and reading post here at HF.

My first question is what should the overall lengths of amsteel be for each of my hammocks? I know the Hennessey requires more than a gathered-end hammock, but at what length should I actually cut them at.

Question two, is there a layout or guide for measurements when making whoopie slings? Meaning, where or at what measurements should I be marking the amsteel for the fixed end and for the sliding end?

I am looking for something similar to what Opie had done in this thread showing all the measurements:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=redden

I know I am making more of this than I need to but I would prefer to gather as much info, do my layout, measure three times and then cut. I figure there is such a wealth of information here that I should try to utilize it.

Thanks for your help on this, I hope to get them made up tonight if possible.

CC

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here is another thread that shows lengths etc.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9349

Alot of what you are asking depends on personal preference...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    You mean like this- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9349

That is an excellent tutorial, the only 2 things I see wrong with it is that it doesn't show you how to make a fixed eye and it uses a needle to push the bury instead of a loop of wire to pull the bury. The measurements however are a good guideline.

Every guide I've seen uses different measurements, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference and how long you want the finished result to be with how big the range of adjustment is.

There are a lot of you tube videos showing how to make them. I haven't found a really good one. My method has evolved as I've made them and was gleaned from several sources.

Edit: Harrell was faster than me, I was out searching for more references.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Answers

A while back someone posted an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the fixed eye and bury, the constrictor portion, etc. based on the diameter of the rope and how long you want your whoopie to be finished (minimum and maximum lengths). I like to put another fixed eye on my whoopie tail just in case I ever want to use it so I adjusted the spreadsheet to account for that as well. I'm sure the original is still available on the forum but if you want my adjusted version, PM me and I'll email it to you.

I think the length of your whoopie would depend on the length of your hammock at 30* sag and how far apart your trees are where you generally hang. 101" ridgelines seem to be pretty popular on this forum, so taking that as a standard you have around 8 1/2' to 9' for the hammock. I try to get trees about 15' apart so you'd need at least 3' whoopies on each side which will work out to just over 6' of rope each. I started with 14 1/2' of rope for my whoopies which has been way too long, but I like to have options. I'd rather have extra hanging down than be on the ground b/c my suspension won't reach. harrell79cj5 is right in that much of what you ask is personal preference but there also is a consideration of where you hang that I would add.

Thanks to all of you for your help on this, I got them done last night.

Lmoseley7, that speadsheet really helped everything click into place...thanks!!

I really appreciate all of the help and knowledge on this forum.

CC

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

No thanks necessary...really

I don't want to take credit where it isn't due. The original post of the spreadsheet can be found here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=spreadsheet. Nomadicpsyche posted the original spreadsheet, I only made some adjustments to calculate the way I like to make my whoopies and a way to work backwards from a fixed length of rope to see how much whoopie it would yield. I too am a huge beneficiary of the help on this forum and I guess it was easier to forward the downloaded spreadsheet than to figure out how to find it in the search. It helps if you don't search for "Whoopie"

• + New Posts