Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    1.1 double layer blackbird. that will give you extra protection underneath to give you peace of mind concerning bugs. it is easy to set up, and there aren't any spare parts and what not to worry about.

buy it with peace of mind...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I think that you will find that it is just as comfortable if not more so to sleep on your back in a WBB. I'm a side sleeper in my bed but not in my DJ, too comfy on my back to go to the side! Plus it ruins the view! I'm currently selling a 1.1 double in perfect condition for $185 in the for sale section if you're interested. I could get it out to you as soon as payment is sent if you choose to buy it. Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for in a hammock and I'm super jealous! Costa Rica has been on my bucket list for quite some time!
    Thanks ChrisH! I'm not sure if I could do full nights on my back. I have had naps in hammocks on my back (but not proper camping ones, just regular, so I know there is a lot more sag in those generally speaking) but I really do have problems on my back for the long haul even if it feels comfortable I think that honestly it is more of a breathing issue.. I think I breathe too heavily and then get sleep apnea while on my back so that's what wakes me up.. def prefer my side that way.. But I am going to see what it feels like in a Warbonnet this weekend as someone near me on here said I could test his out! So if I like that I will def get back in touch..

Thanks for your wishes! I have been to CR a bunch as i actually ended up buying property there is a, get this, tree house community.. so I have an acre and half of jungle that is my very own, so that is where I will be camping out.. actually in my very own 'backyard'! So I wanted to spend more time on it for my treehouse planning purposes.. don't know when I will be able to afford the actual house but until then whatever hammock I get for my visits will have to do, hence I want to take a lot of care deciding.. You should definitely visit!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    As for tarps and a lot of rain - it depends on what kind of rain we're talking about. If it is steady and straight down just about any tarp will work. However, if you run in to any wind - wind driven rain or just gusts every now and then - you will want a full coverage tarp, whether that is an extra door kit or a ready-made tarp. Also note that the lower you pitch the tarp the less driven rain you'll get inside, if thats an issue. If you are taking cover underneath cooking dinner wind blown rain through a 1' gap between the tarp and ground sucks. If you wrap all your gear up in a bag or throw a cover on your pack not really caring about the weather between the hammock and the ground then choose your tarp accordingly. The smaller the tarp the lighter the weight, but the less coverage you get. My opinion is its better to have too much coverage than not enough. You can't add coverage if you need it and don't have it but you can always open it all up and get some airflow on those hot days, or not hang a tarp at all.
    Thanks for that! Any suggestions as to brands of tarps (esp. if they don't come with the hammock I get and even then I would want to do an upgrade to a larger one if I can)? Esp. in terms of affordability? Not too concerned about weight right now but also don't want to lug the hardware store blue thing around either..

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Thanks for that! Any suggestions as to brands of tarps (esp. if they don't come with the hammock I get and even then I would want to do an upgrade to a larger one if I can)? Esp. in terms of affordability? Not too concerned about weight right now but also don't want to lug the hardware store blue thing around either..
    OES and WB make very solid tarps that are lightweight and durable. If you are looking at sil nylon, a knockoff name brand will cost about the same anyway for the same price..in my research anyway.. If you don't mind it being a little heavier, a PU coated nylon tarp can be found for around $30 or so at just about any outdoor store. If you want to go on the super cheap you can get plastic dropcloth from the hardware store. It is noisy, not as durable, and needs to be replaced often, but it is cheap and pretty packable.

For side sleeping my WBBB works great for me. The footbox allows a wonderful asym lay. If you were to purchase a tarp and a hammock from WB, you get $10 off.
    The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed. -Il Duce

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it. - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Jollyllama!!! See ya soon!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Shapeshifter - It sounds like you may be camping under the tarp for several days at a time. You will likely want a bigger tarp. Check out the Kelty Noah 12 or 16 ft(about$80) or the Guide Gear 12 ft.(about $25). (I just bought the Guide Gear and I think it will be fine for week long trips, but I am going to reinforce the tie out loops.)
    I, too, am a side sleeper. I have a WBBB 1.7 Dbl. If you use a 36-40" wide closed cell foam, CCF, pad I think you will be comfortable on your side.
    One tip: If using a CCF make sure you have some fabric between you and the pad. That will reduce condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Shapeshifter - It sounds like you may be camping under the tarp for several days at a time. You will likely want a bigger tarp. Check out the Kelty Noah 12 or 16 ft(about$80) or the Guide Gear 12 ft.(about $25). (I just bought the Guide Gear and I think it will be fine for week long trips, but I am going to reinforce the tie out loops.)
    I, too, am a side sleeper. I have a WBBB 1.7 Dbl. If you use a 36-40" wide closed cell foam, CCF, pad I think you will be comfortable on your side.
    One tip: If using a CCF make sure you have some fabric between you and the pad. That will reduce condensation.
    Hi thanks! Where did you find the Guide Gear tarp? I checked a few sites and seems like everyone is sold out.

Also where do you get your CCF pad from??

Thank you!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I can get way farther onto my side in my WBBB than I could my Claytor. I loved my Claytor, but I cannot go back. If you are serious about getting on your side, maybe a Bridge Hammock is for you?
    Ditto on the bridge for side. However, I strangely I can side sleep with my Claytor No Net at least as well as with any other non-bridge hammock except maybe Safari. Of course, that is not a Claytor Jungle, so slight dif maybe. Actually, I think I got my Claytor JH from you back in the day. But I sold it as I didn't feel the need for 2 Claytors, especially with all my other hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Thanks Mule. But looks like the bridge for sale got sold. but thanks for looking it up! And thanks for info on the bug net.. Thing about the bridge is that is looks like you can't really sit up in it easily if you wanted to do that.. so guess there's the trade off.. I may be okay in a WBB from the sound of it.. I guess I can get one and always sell on here if it doesn't work out??
    I can probably sit and lounge at least as well and maybe more comfortably than in my JRB BMBH than with any other hammock. Gives much better back support than most others!

When sitting as in the 2nd pic, I like a pillow under my legs to minimize pressure.

Also keep in mind that, as you are going to use a pad, the JRB BMBH works better with a pad ( IMHO ) than any other hammock I have tried. The double layer hammocks are a big improvement for pads, but the double layer bridge- and it's rectangular/flat shape, is just made for a pad of the same shape. In SOME ways, a wide ( 26") pad actually improves the already great BMBH.

The HH Safari is a hammock I find better than all but maybe the JRB bridge for side sleeping. The way it is better than the bridge is not only by being real comfortable for back and both sides with legs straight, but also great for full fetal both sides. The bridge only allows moderate fetal. But the Safari is a single layer hammock, so without at least an SPE a pad might be a pain. Sure is comfy though, for all likely positions.

Two other hammocks I find very good for side sleeping are the HH DJ XL and UL Explorer. Especially the DJXL.

And of course the Claytor No Net- great for side sleeping ( works good for me any way) and dbl layer- but it is No Net! So, you will need a separate Warbonnet Net, a really nice item. But frankly, in any kind of jungle situation, I might prefer a net that seals up good on the ends, like a WBBB or HH.

This is just in case you are not confused enough!

Thanks BillyBob for all the info and PHOTOS!

Appreciate the sharing.. have finally decided on my first noobie set up though.. going with a couple of Grand Trunk Ultralights (which I will double up if needed or use the extra as an under belly storage shelf) with ENO bugnet and a large footprint for a tarp and still working on the suspension and padding part.. but almost there! I got to try out a GT and some others last weekend (thanks to some members on this forum who were in my neck of the woods or close enough!).. and that was the one that felt the most comfy for me so until I can try out more I just am not ready to shell out the big bucks. And I will always have useful gear when I am ready.

Thanks again!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12