Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie still trying to decide....

Hello all you WB fans! I am new to hammocks and this forum. I posted yesterday under the general hammock talk and was directed to this area so am going to post under a couple different forums for the different brands to help in my decision making..

So I have been reading a lot all over this forum and the web and looking at youtube videos and still not able to decide..

So basically I am going to be primarily needing something for the jungle in Costa Rica (but at elevation so can get a little cooler at night and can rain a lot)...
    I should mention I am a long skinny light weight (6' at about 140 lbs).. and I am a side sleeper.. I am interested in budget but also in comfort and if I have to spend more for comfort I will.. unfortunately I don't have time to 'test drive' anything as I need to order for my trip coming up at the end of the month.

The WB Blackbirds do look promising. What I like is the rigging with the webbing which looks easier than some other brands and the double layer bottom for a pad which i will probably need as I think I (being skinny) could get chilly at night even in that climate. Also the whole shelf and footbox thing look cool too.. I was originally recommended to get a Clark and I liked that it had all those pockets and a lot of head room and the weather shield option but the cost for the tropical with the weather shield and larger tarp and shipping came to about 350! Which is a lot for a newbie and I am hearing that it's maybe not so comfy for a side sleeper due to the narrowness of the thing (though in photos it looks pretty flat but I keep hearing about the banana bottom..).. but I wonder if being light weight as I am (I see most of the posters are much heavier than me and I don't know it if shows it on my profile but I am a female, just FYI) if maybe I wouldn't have an issue sleeping on my side in the Clark as some posters have?... Also someone said he can't sleep on his side in a WBB but can in a switchback which someone else said is actually a Claytor.. now I was also considering the Claytor Jungle because of hearing that and the cost being really low and I hear it is sturdy but maybe heavy and not easy to rig?.. Also I hear it may take a long time to ship..

Sorry for the length.. I really am just having a very hard time deciding and have been spending far too many hours on this decision right now!

Any help will be appreciated! And sorry for the redundancy for any of you who may have seen my other post in the other section...

Thanks!!!

PS- If I do get the WBB any advice as to the best rain fly (definitely will need that!!).. for a lot of rain?! Also maybe a less expensive fly option from somewhere else because I see that the actual hammocks are not too expensive but tarps seem to be... I don't think I care too much about weight for this particular trip btw...

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I can get way farther onto my side in my WBBB than I could my Claytor. I loved my Claytor, but I cannot go back. If you are serious about getting on your side, maybe a Bridge Hammock is for you?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Thanks Mule. I was hearing about the bridge hammocks too but so far just saw the JacksRBetter and did not look like they had a bug net (very much needed) and also were out of stock.. any tips as to which bridge hammock to get? do any come with netting? Thanks! Also good to know that it isn't such a prob to side sleep in a WBB.. any recommendations on tarps with the WBB for a lot of rain..? (also cheaper non-WB tarps?)

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Thanks Mule. I was hearing about the bridge hammocks too but so far just saw the JacksRBetter and did not look like they had a bug net (very much needed) and also were out of stock.. any tips as to which bridge hammock to get? do any come with netting? Thanks! Also good to know that it isn't such a prob to side sleep in a WBB.. any recommendations on tarps with the WBB for a lot of rain..? (also cheaper non-WB tarps?)
    The JRB Bridge does come with a bugnet. It is removable. Some time back I widened mine to 36 inches instead of 30 and made a new bugnet with a zipper. It was for sale again here a while ago. If I see it I will send you a link.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    The JRB Bridge does come with a bugnet. It is removable. Some time back I widened mine to 36 inches instead of 30 and made a new bugnet with a zipper. It was for sale again here a while ago. If I see it I will send you a link.
    Here's the link.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=mule+bridge

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6ft 2+ and 290 and have no problem sleeping on my back or sides in my BB double 1.7.

I use a wallyworld pad instead of the UQ
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Thanks Mule. But looks like the bridge for sale got sold. but thanks for looking it up! And thanks for info on the bug net.. Thing about the bridge is that is looks like you can't really sit up in it easily if you wanted to do that.. so guess there's the trade off.. I may be okay in a WBB from the sound of it.. I guess I can get one and always sell on here if it doesn't work out??

Thanks Gunner.. It should be even easier for me to side sleep then if I am a light weight right? Also any thoughts on the best tarp (or cheaper tarp options?)

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    As for tarps and a lot of rain - it depends on what kind of rain we're talking about. If it is steady and straight down just about any tarp will work. However, if you run in to any wind - wind driven rain or just gusts every now and then - you will want a full coverage tarp, whether that is an extra door kit or a ready-made tarp. Also note that the lower you pitch the tarp the less driven rain you'll get inside, if thats an issue. If you are taking cover underneath cooking dinner wind blown rain through a 1' gap between the tarp and ground sucks. If you wrap all your gear up in a bag or throw a cover on your pack not really caring about the weather between the hammock and the ground then choose your tarp accordingly. The smaller the tarp the lighter the weight, but the less coverage you get. My opinion is its better to have too much coverage than not enough. You can't add coverage if you need it and don't have it but you can always open it all up and get some airflow on those hot days, or not hang a tarp at all.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I think that you will find that it is just as comfortable if not more so to sleep on your back in a WBB. I'm a side sleeper in my bed but not in my DJ, too comfy on my back to go to the side! Plus it ruins the view! I'm currently selling a 1.1 double in perfect condition for $185 in the for sale section if you're interested. I could get it out to you as soon as payment is sent if you choose to buy it. Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for in a hammock and I'm super jealous! Costa Rica has been on my bucket list for quite some time!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast