Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie needs help

Hello all you Clark fans! I am new to hammocks and this forum. I posted yesterday under the general hammock talk and was directed to this area so am going to post under a couple different forums for the different brands to help in my decision making..

So I have been reading a lot all over this forum and the web and looking at youtube videos and still not able to decide..

So basically I am going to be primarily needing something for the jungle in Costa Rica (but at elevation so can get a little cooler at night and can rain a lot)...
    I should mention I am a long skinny light weight (6' at about 140 lbs).. and I am a side sleeper.. I am interested in budget but also in comfort and if I have to spend more for comfort I will.. unfortunately I don't have time to 'test drive' anything as I need to order for my trip coming up at the end of the month.

All I knew of hammocks originally was of the Hennessy variety but then I was telling a friend I was thinking about getting one and he said oh no get a Clark they are much better. So since then I have been reading all kinds of reviews and comparisons and then found this site and found out there are so many more kinds of hammocks than I had ever dreamed! So it's made my deicison making a bit harder! So maybe some of you can help!?

While looking at Clarks I was trying to decide between the Ultra Light and the Tropical.. UL seems probably good enough for my needs but then I thought it would be nice to be able to have the option of the weather shield.. but a lot more expensive..

Also being light weight and tall and a side sleeper as I mentioned I would like to know what people have to say about comfort in a Clark. I have heard that the narrowness and 'banana' boat shape make it hard to sleep on your side.. but then others say they can only sleep on their side in it.. I wonder if for some people it is harder due to their weight? This part is confusing to me.. it looks like Clarks are flatter than other hammocks from the photos and so should be easier to sleep in different positions in, right?

Also am wondering about warm/insulation factors.. how easy is it to use a pad or add other insulation if I need it? (I do tend to get cold even on summer nights.. in the middle of the night..)..

A lot of people on this site seem to like the WB Blackbirds and some have said that side sleeping is easier in them but when I looked at them what I like is the rigging with the webbing which looks easier to hang.. And I see how you can lay diagonal and so maybe lay on your side better but one poster said he can't sleep on his side in it but can in a switchback and someone else recommended Claytor (which is a lot cheaper too)... Any thoughts on why you all prefer/choose Clarks?? (esp. considering the greater cost)...

Sorry for the length.. I really am just having a very hard time deciding and have been spending far too many hours on this decision right now!

Any help will be appreciated! And sorry for the redundancy for any of you who may have seen my other post in the other section...

Thanks!!!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I own a warbonnet, and am just about to purchase a clark nx-150 for colder weather. From what I gather I think the warbonnet is a little more comfortable, but the clark has more features (weather shield, pockets, zippered bugnet). My good friend has a clark ultralight, he likes it but said the poles on the NX would be nice to keep the net out of the way, and most of the happy clark owners here (don't flame me pleaz clark ppl) I believe have NX models (which are much more expensive). If I had a $250 budget, and could only get one hammock, id go for the WBB 1.0 double layer and a big mambajamba tarp with a thermarest z rest for insulation, I think its a better value. If you can spend more maybe make the jump to the NX.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I think I may be leaning in that direction right now.. Appreciate the feedback.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    i'm 6'6'' 300 lbs and i have the NX-200 and yes they are more expensive...but when your as big as i am you dont have many options...

as for comfort, i have no problem sleeping on my back or sides

as for bugs, there is a no seeum bug net that zips all the way around, the fabric the hammock is made of is "bug proof" they say it's too thick to get bit through

as for a pad, just position it where you want it before you get in and it wont move

since you get cold at night, i'd go for the North American version since the pockets are all on the head end

the only think i don't like about clarks is the suspension it comes with, make sure you order the drip rings if your not going to make custom suspension for it, and if you want to make custom suspension send me a PM and ill show you how i set mine up

and the way the tarp connects to the hammock is really touchy, so you have to make sure you get it right the first time or you wont have a tarp

as for the weather shield? its a MUST in my opinion if you close it your basically in a tent, and it adds alot of warmth

as for the narrowness, it's 44 inches wide and the clark is one of the flattest lay in all of the hammocking world, if you sleep corner to corner (which is how you have to sleep if your gonna sleep on your side)
    Last edited by keikepono; 04-05-2011 at 23:21.

Hmmm, thanks for the response. I do like the whole weathershield bit but not sure about going for the North American because of my budget.. best I could do would probably be the Tropical.. do the pockets then really provide that much insulation? Is it better than having a double bottom that you can stick a pad in? Mind you I most likely will not be doing an actual cold weather camping.. I do like that is has pockets for storage as well.. an good to hear that side sleeping was not an issue for you but I keep getting different conflicting reports on that one, so that's a toughy.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    Hmmm, thanks for the response. I do like the whole weathershield bit but not sure about going for the North American because of my budget.. best I could do would probably be the Tropical.. do the pockets then really provide that much insulation? Is it better than having a double bottom that you can stick a pad in? Mind you I most likely will not be doing an actual cold weather camping.. I do like that is has pockets for storage as well.. an good to hear that side sleeping was not an issue for you but I keep getting different conflicting reports on that one, so that's a toughy.
    well if your not gonna be doing cold weather then scratch the north american, and probably the pad too. i'd go for the tropical with the weathershield however, just in case you aren't too experienced with tarps

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i own a 10 yr old clark ultralite and a 1.0 dbl blackbird, and sleep very well in both, in the clark i usually hang it a little flatter which works well, my blackbird hammock needs to be hung with more sag for the right set up, usually more sag allows you to lay diagonally for a flatter lay,
    i can tell you the clark bed is very bug proof, if you go with the bb i would go with the double layer, i live in south carolina and have had no problems with either.
    i would reccomend an underquilt over a pad with either hammock, probably a synthetic uq since you will be in some pretty humid weather,
    hope this helps

also, i have the clark with no weathershield ,so i just use a piece of rip stop that i attach to the bugnet with cord, total cost ten dollars , added wieght 2 oz

Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    i own a 10 yr old clark ultralite and a 1.0 dbl blackbird, and sleep very well in both, in the clark i usually hang it a little flatter which works well, my blackbird hammock needs to be hung with more sag for the right set up, usually more sag allows you to lay diagonally for a flatter lay,
    i can tell you the clark bed is very bug proof, if you go with the bb i would go with the double layer, i live in south carolina and have had no problems with either.
    i would reccomend an underquilt over a pad with either hammock, probably a synthetic uq since you will be in some pretty humid weather,
    hope this helps

also, i have the clark with no weathershield ,so i just use a piece of rip stop that i attach to the bugnet with cord, total cost ten dollars , added wieght 2 oz
    Thanks for that! Very helpful.. do you know where I could get a cheap synthetic underquilt from? Also, sorry but what is a 'rip stop' and where do you get it... assuming it is a fabric similar to what is used for the weathershield? Thanks!

Thanks Keikepono!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    do you know where I could get a cheap synthetic underquilt from?
    AHE. I have the KAQ New River and it works great on my NX-250. Synthetic, great fit, great quality and the price sure is right. Had it down to 20 degrees with no problems, and that was with a Big Agnes Synthetic SB that had no insulation on the bottom.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945132