Here is my version of this stand, w/ my ENO Double nest and 12' Kelty Noah tarp.
Looks good john_boy! You've got a nice little set up there. I like the angled cuts on the bottom 2x4's.
On a side note - I've been thinking about getting that same tarp. Looks to have good coverage.
The 12' Kelty, Looks to me to have great coverage. I made the mistake of buying the 16' Kelty, I don't know what I was thinking, that thing is HUGE. I saw it was the same price as the 12' so I thought the bigger the better. Boy was I wrong. So I ended up getting the 12' and now I have something for the Circus when they come to town. By the way I love the stand. My boys and I had a good time putting it together.
What a terrible time I had putting together my stand. I cut 1 2x4 wrong so needed to get another. The store I got the wood and hardware for screwed up typing in the numbers for the items each time I went. Used treated lumber and galvanized hardware. Lumber at the store was outside so when assembling I foung the boards wern't 1 1/2 thick anymore, they had swelled. 3/8 x 8 bolts didn't quite go thru the 5 lower pieces so went back to the store to get 3/8 x 9. Don't have. 3/8 only goes up to 8. Had to get 1/2 but no 9". Had to get 10". Had to redrill the lower holes to 1/2". Now the bolts fit but if and when the boards dry and shrink I will have too long of bolts and the ends are only threaded a little ways. Borrowed a tap and die set and extended the threads some. If the bolts become too long and might become a hazzard I can cut off the excess. Just need to install the uprights then install the eye bolts and hang a hammock. Almost done. After all this I could have just planted 2 trees in the yard but I wouldn't have been able to move them.
This will be my first time in a hammock so I hope I like it.
I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not, but I countersunk the bolt heads a little. This gave extra length and kept the bolt from sticking out so much (well at least on that side). 2x4's aren't really 2" these days, so that difference adds up. Combined with the countersinking, the bolt measurements in the PDF should fit. Of course the extent of swelling or drying out would need to be taken into account. I always get my pieces of lumber then hold the bolt across them to see what size will fit the best before I leave the hardware store. Just things to consider.
Loved the stand and the thorough plans. I decided to build one. I had lowes cut the pieces for me before I left so all I had to do was drill and bolt. I had to use threaded rod for the long bolts as I found the 10" was too long, and the next size down was too short as the bolts are only threaded a little bit. I did drill all the holes first before I checked the angles, went with the math instead of the looks right. My stand tips ended up about 70* and barely 11 ft apart. This made for a very high hang the first night. I lengthened the lower supports to 48" hole to hole and this gives me about a 14ft spread now at about a 55* angle. This makes for a much more comfortable hang height. My eno dn and bug net clear all supports with a few inches to spare. I needed something to hang with on the porch here in bug country. Thanks again for the plans.
My effort is now complete and I must say I'm very pleased with the results. A big thanks to JJthedog for his design and others on the forum for their comments.
I made a few design mods and have some comments which members may find useful:
This is a big solid structure, by which I mean TITANIC. I have every confidence that it will support whatever weight is demanded of it.
The hammock I use is a British DD Hammock. This is supposed to be tight streached at seating height, so the design height of 6' is probably a bit OTT. However, with extra eye bolts at a lower level, the higher pair are useful for the tarp.
You will see from the thread that I had concerns that the bolt lengths were a bit out. The arms of my effort were 5" allowing for some counter-sinking on both sides. The base section turned out to be quite a bit wider than the 8" recommended. I'm not sure why but mine needed a good 10". Like Mfury, I used threaded rod cut to length.
1. For the base, I used 2"x6"x8';
2. The arm braces were increased from 4' to 5';
3. Because this structure is so big and heavy, I wanted to be able to demount it into smaller components for winter storage and transportation. I therefore built the base as a box structure and assembled the parts using bolts rather than screws. Even deconstructed, the 7 parts are still big and heavy.
This is a quality piece of kit and I had a lot of fun building it. Thanks again for the plans and advice.
Pics to follow when I've got my head round the techy bits.