Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    image.jpg

Finally finished it. Gonna camp tonight.

Hammock
    WBRR, Eno double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Winter Lynx
    Love the idea and design. Its on my list to build one soon, as there is only 1 hammockable tree in my yard. Ive been using a 2 by 4 supported by some extra lines and stakes. That has slipped on me a few times, and I'm fed up with it. Im hoping to build it before it snows so I can sleep outside this winter
    Doctors should prescribe hammocks for stress relief

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    That looks well built. It look strong but light to be moved around for mowing.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    That looks well built. It look strong but light to be moved around for mowing.

Banned
    Images
    nice work. do you have the specs on drill locations? The pdf doe not have it

Finished my hammock stand build this weekend. I got the net from Amazon as a Mother's Day present and then started discussing stand preferences with my wife. We looked at the Turtle Dog options, which probably would have been easier/lighter, but she didn't want a bar over her head- she wanted an unobstructed view of the sky. Portability isn't a concern, this thing really isn't going anywhere. She just wanted a nice place in the backyard to hang out, read, have a glass of wine, listen to the birds and our pond/waterfall, etc. So, we decided this basic stand design was the winner.

Construction is all AC2 treated lumber from Menards. Everything is 2x6s except the legs, which are 4x4s. Galvanized 1/2" bolts everywhere, and some super high quality outdoor rated screws to help keep everything nice and tight.

The net was from Hammocks Rada? It was $50-ish, their "Handmade Matrimonial Size Yucatan Hammock - Tropical Multicolor." I wanted a big one, that could potentially hold her and at least one of our kids... maybe even her and I. The net is rated to 550 lbs, the stand is pretty strong and I'm sure would support that, the carabiners are 2k+ lbs, etc. I suspect her and I could both get in there and it would be fine structurally.

Build pics:

Didn't take any pics initially, but you get the idea- crappy old circular saw, portable drill, same basic 2x6 plans that have been discussed here. Aimed for 122 degree angle on the outer arms.

Little more progress:

Starting to think about the legs:

Laying out roughly where they will be, so that I can mark them from the underside for some notches:

Used a dado stack to notch the legs:

Perfect fit:

Some screws to keep everything in place:

Full project view at this point:

Trying to figure out how I'm getting this to the backyard... NO BUENO:

This will do:

In place, net attached:

Happy wife:

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby697 View Post
    Finished my hammock stand build this weekend. I got the net from Amazon as a Mother's Day present and then started discussing stand preferences with my wife. We looked at the Turtle Dog options, which probably would have been easier/lighter, but she didn't want a bar over her head- she wanted an unobstructed view of the sky. Portability isn't a concern, this thing really isn't going anywhere. She just wanted a nice place in the backyard to hang out, read, have a glass of wine, listen to the birds and our pond/waterfall, etc. So, we decided this basic stand design was the winner.

Construction is all AC2 treated lumber from Menards. Everything is 2x6s except the legs, which are 4x4s. Galvanized 1/2" bolts everywhere, and some super high quality outdoor rated screws to help keep everything nice and tight.

The net was from Hammocks Rada? It was $50-ish, their "Handmade Matrimonial Size Yucatan Hammock - Tropical Multicolor." I wanted a big one, that could potentially hold her and at least one of our kids... maybe even her and I. The net is rated to 550 lbs, the stand is pretty strong and I'm sure would support that, the carabiners are 2k+ lbs, etc. I suspect her and I could both get in there and it would be fine structurally.

Build pics:

Didn't take any pics initially, but you get the idea- crappy old circular saw, portable drill, same basic 2x6 plans that have been discussed here. Aimed for 122 degree angle on the outer arms.

Little more progress:

Starting to think about the legs:

Laying out roughly where they will be, so that I can mark them from the underside for some notches:

Used a dado stack to notch the legs:

Perfect fit:

Some screws to keep everything in place:

Full project view at this point:

Trying to figure out how I'm getting this to the backyard... NO BUENO:

This will do:

In place, net attached:

Happy wife:
    Looks great! This beefed up version is sure to last a very long time.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    Realize this is an old thread and don’t know the timeline on the release of The Ultimate Hang, but curious if anyone used it in their math on the construction. I have the 8’ base done. Went with 2x6s. Cut the stand arms at 82.5” and bolted them to the base. 4’ braces are bolted to the stand arms. Need to figure out where to position them on the base to get the right width. Messing around with the ultimate hang calculator, based on the 108” ridgeline, 18” default sit height, the height of the eye bolts varies from 55-65” depending on the gap between the eye bolts. I put them in 2” from the end and with a 158” spread, they’re close to 72” high. Moving them closer to the base closes the gap between, obviously. Am I overthinking it or how did everyone get their math/geometry right?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would help simplify some of the measurements just so people in the future don't have to eyeball angles. If you make the cuts as listed, you just make the pieces flush on the various surfaces and the angles will be correct. This also assumes a 40° angle for the upright supports (unless I missed it in the thread, I don't think it was ever specified.)

Boards #1 and #2: Leave alone. These are your base pieces. (I'm using 2x4x10' so that it's a longer hang for my WBRR.)

Boards #3 and #4: Cut in half (48"). These are your upright supports and the base supports.

Boards #5, #6, #7, and #8: Cut off 13.5". Then from one corner, measure in 2.125" on one long side and cut to the nearest other corner. (i.e. You're cutting off a 3.5" x 2.125" x ~4.1" triangle.) These are your upright arms.

Scrap from Boards #5 and #6: Cut these in thirds (can be approximate). These are the "feet" on the base supports.

Scrap from Boards #7 and #8: Cut two 5 7/16" lengths from each piece of scrap. Then with each of your four pieces, measure in 1.25" and cut to the farthest corner. (i.e. You're cutting off a 3.5" x 4.1875" x 5.46" triangle.) These are the pieces that go between the bottom of the upright support and the bases pieces.

Board #9: Cut off four 8" lengths. Two of those pieces, leave alone. These are the pieces that go in between the top of the upright arms. The other two pieces, make the same cut that you did on Boards #5, #6, #7, and #8. (From one corner, measure in 2.125" on one long side and cut to the nearest other corner.) These are the pieces that go in between the base of the upright arms. You should have a 5' 4" piece left over that can be a backup plan for any other piece that didn't work out.

Hopefully this helps someone that might be hesitant to start the project without a whole lot of woodworking experience.

Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516