DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Gathered-end Difficulties

Hello all! I am quite new to laying in a gathered-end hammock. I recently finished a DIY version a la Knotty's tutorial, and have been trying to get comfortable in it. So far I've had minimal and completely random success in getting flat/comfortable. I've read through many threads about asym lay, ridgeline length, etc., so I'm getting a little frustrated. Let me give you all some more specifics; the hammock body is made from ~1.8 ripstop from Joann's and measures 140" x 58". I measure 6'6" and weigh 170 lbs, so I am not new to having problems finding a good gear/clothing fit for my freakish nature.

So far I've fiddled around with ridgeline lengths of 114", 116"(~83%), and 118", with most success at the longer end. My main gripe thus far has been a lack of comfort in my knees/lower legs/feet. Even when I feel like I've located a sweet spot, after a while I start to feel pain from knee hyper-extension. Also, I can't seem to avoid having my feet and lower legs mashed into each other, which makes my heels/ankles sore after a while...this seems kind of unavoidable due to the nature of the design.

I feel like I am very close to a break-through in comfort, but think I need a little encouragement and/or critique. The picture shows my hammock hanging inside my living room from eye screws in my wall studs; I think I have the whoopie suspension pretty close to the 30* mark. The two eye screws are mounted at the same height, so perhaps I could get a little more comfort by raising the foot end? From what I understand, this mostly helps with the sliding up/down effect, which I'm not having an issue with. Would a longer or wider hammock offer me more "wiggle room" for achieving flatness? When laying asym, my feet and head are pretty close to the edge, if not almost ready to fall over.

Anyway, this is already getting pretty long and completely non-entertaining, so I'll try to wrap up. I am just having a hard time envisioning if raising the foot and/or lengthening the hammock body will resolve my woes. Has anyone else experienced this lack of comfort for your lower legs? Perhaps I will just grow more accustomed to this after more time spent laying in it? I think I will raise the foot eye screw a bit today and see what that offers. Maybe experiment with a pillow or some rolled up clothing under my knees and legs, although this won't really be an option when afield. Thanks for reading!
    CIMG1289.jpg

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes to the lack of comfort on lower legs. I fold one leg and place an ankle under the knee of the unfolded leg to reduce the pain from hyper-extension of said knees. I also try sleeping quasi- on my side. This helps.

Not sure, but I think raising the foot end mainly keeps you from sliding 'down' toward the foot end of the hammock by keeping your trunk more level with the ground.

The biggest help I found was to just spend as much time as possible in my hammock fiddling with the set up until I found the 'SWEET SPOT' and then I marked it.

Hope this helps a little.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I, like a few others here, whip the foot end of my hammock different than my head end. I do a W whip accordion style. Then I pull a little fabric out of the middle. This puts a raised ridge around the center of the fabric. What this does for me is bends my knees upward instead of down. Also I don't sleep well on my back but I have found that at a 45 is my sweet spot. Not quite on my back but not on my side either.

I also find for me the shorter the ridgeline the better. The longer I have it the more pressure i feel from the slope of the hammock body.

I hope this helps a bit.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Raising the foot end has a lot to do with a guys center of gravity being the chest. I find I side to the center more when level.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I'd say your ridgeline is too long, try around 105ish inches. Generally the calf hyperextension is do to the lay being too steep under your legs. To reduce that you need more fabric per length to allow it to conform easier which is done by increasing sag. With a ridgeline you increase sag by shortening the ridgeline.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Try putting your head on the other side of the hammock. It helped me to be sure my butt was off to the side not centered. Keep trying all the things mentioned above.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    For home hanging try a pillow under your knees. On the trail a largish stuff sack with some spare clothes or a bundled up jacket can serve the same function.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Pillow under the knees is the first thing I'd try. For me it's a must in most all hammocks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sometimes if you go 180ºs.....foot to head end you can find a sweet spot.
    Happened for me on my DIY hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts