Size question for Doublenesters

I just bought a Doublenest from REI. As you know, its supposed to be "approximately" 80 inches wide but even when stretched with some conviction, it measures out at only 70 inches. This includes the colored end panels.

To me, "approximately" means within a couple of inches. Did I get a mis-marked Single by mistake? Would any of you Doublenesters mind measuring and post back? Thanks

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    I've had my ENO Doublenest for about a year now. It said Doublenest on the cardboard tag attached to the hammock when I bought it. I just looked at the compression strap attached to the storage bag and it says.... Singlenest! I'm confused about mine now! I'm 6'2" and ~290lbs and my ENO can wrap me up like a cocoon though. I need to investigate further now!

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    Just did some checking on my ENO and it's a little over 6' wide. If the ENO is 6'8" I'm about 6'6" now! A singlenest is under 5' so even though my strap says singlenest, I have a doublenest. I know I paid the doublenest price and it never seemed small, so I guess they have poor quality control at their manufacturing facility.

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Mine is a double, I just threw a tape measure to it. I can get 70" without much effort. If it is supposed to be 80", it would have to be without ropes on the ends and stretched out tight as a snare drum.
    And BTW mine says Double nest on the strap. It is also a color combo that is not offered anymore, so I would guess it may be an early model.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Often those measurements are given before hemming. If you look at the packaging for a poly tarp in a big box store you will probably find "before hemming" or "unfinished size" in small letters somewhere. I would suspect the same could be true of hammock sizes. There are two hems and two seams in a double nest. The flat felled seam between the two tone panels can eat up a lot of fabric. Three 1/2" folds per panel means 3" lost in that seam alone. The rolled hem on the edge will eat another 1" or more. That accounts for conservatively 4" of loss ion each side. Lose another inch somewhere to wrinkles and you have five inches lost per side. You only have to lose 10" overall to go from 80" to 70". Sounds reasonable to me to say you have a double nest.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks everyone, just wanted to be sure

I've had what I thought was a single for several years. When I saw the REI sale, I decided it was time to upgrade. When the new one arrived, I found it was the same size as the older one. Hence my inquiry.

This is dreadful. Just dreadful. Now I have two identical, extremely comfortable hammocks. What on earth shall I do? I think I'll have to lie down to consider this.

Well, if you're going to leave it neglected and alone in a dark closet somewhere, you could send the poor little waif to me -- I'll give it a good home.

• + New Posts