WB Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Thunder Bay Ont hang site

Any suggestions on a good 'hang' site somewhere south of Thunder Bay Ont toward the MN border? I'll be on a road trip this Sunday and should be in the area that evening. The next 2 days I'll be heading for Sault Ste. Marie. Can one stealth hang in Canada? Thanks

Don

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    I did the superior trip on my motorcycle the past two summers. If you can make it a little further to Sleeping Giant Provincial park, it's a great place to camp. I hung there and did some hiking the next day.

John
    "Diver Down"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post
    I did the superior trip on my motorcycle the past two summers. If you can make it a little further to Sleeping Giant Provincial park, it's a great place to camp. I hung there and did some hiking the next day.

John
    Thanks John. The Superior trip on motorcycle is the trip, first time though. Sleeping Giant sounds great, yet its a 400 mile first day from St Paul. I'll see how it goes. Any other insights for a rookie?

Don

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Don,

I didn't do an stealth hanging either time I went, but from what I'm told if you are x number of feet/meters from a road you can camp anywhere in the provincial parks.

If you're taking two days to get the Sault Ste Marie, you will most likely want to look at Pukakswa Park, I hung there the first year also. If you can make it further Agawa bay was beautiful. Stayed there last year. There was also another bay called old woman bay, I think that is where I saw the surfers. Worth the stop just to see the waves.

If you have the time, instead of heading directly west through the UP, head south to the Trail of Trees on the east shore of Michigan. Google trail of trees, great ride. Similar to the Tail of the Dragon.

Bring your rain gear, it can get cold when you're wet in the mtns.

I will be in St Paul all next week for work.

Have fun and ride safe.
    John
    "Diver Down"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    And if you come straight across the UP, take the ferry to Madeline Island. You might be able to find a stealth place there in the county park.
    "Diver Down"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Don,

I didn't do an stealth hanging either time I went, but from what I'm told if you are x number of feet/meters from a road you can camp anywhere in the provincial parks.

If you're taking two days to get the Sault Ste Marie, you will most likely want to look at Pukakswa Park, I hung there the first year also. If you can make it further Agawa bay was beautiful. Stayed there last year. There was also another bay called old woman bay, I think that is where I saw the surfers. Worth the stop just to see the waves.

If you have the time, instead of heading directly west through the UP, head south to the Trail of Trees on the east shore of Michigan. Google trail of trees, great ride. Similar to the Tail of the Dragon.

Bring your rain gear, it can get cold when you're wet in the mtns.

I will be in St Paul all next week for work.

Have fun and ride safe.
    John
    Thanks for all your input. Seems like there are too many nice places to stay. Seeing you have done this twice I may have to look at it that way since i do not have the time to do everything I have read and heard about. My first day I am headed for Grand Portage MN and play it by ear/weather from there. "Rain Gear" is in hand! I leave tomorrow morning amidst this heat / humidity wave.

Point To Ponder ~ Since you will be in St Paul this week, you have paddled in the BWCA amd you have a Cooke Custom Sewing tarp you may want to paddle with Dan Cooke on Thursday evening. There are a few paddlers that get together every Thursday at 6pm and Dan is always there along with Rod Kesserling. I believe at Lake Nokomis this week. Call Dan and I'm sure he could arrange for an additional canoe. Great group to paddle with.

And if you come straight across the UP, take the ferry to Madeline Island. You might be able to find a stealth place there in the county park.
    I'll skip Bayfield and Madeline Island as I been there numerous times. Good thought and nice place though. Copper Harbor looks good.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    When you cross the border into Ontario, the whole area near the border (about a mile wide) is part of a non-operating provincial park. You could stealth anywhere in there, if you're stealthy. Just turn west onto the first road north of the border and after a few minutes you'll see Middle Falls (not to be confused with High Falls, which is right at the border--hike in from the tourist information centre). Middle Falls used to be a campground. Not sure if still operates as such. Might be worth looking at.

That area was my old stomping grounds.

Oh...just saw that you will have already left by now, so this is a useless contribution, for this trip anyway. Hope you have had a great trip. Hope to see a trip report!

• + New Posts