Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

N. GA Wet Weather Overnighter

I've been wanting an opportunity to give my new tarp and PLUQ a test hang in some less than ideal weather. Well Monday evening that opportunity presented itself. A strong line of thunderstorms and following rain was predicted to move through north Georgia late in the evening. According to the weather reports the intensity of the storms would probably decrease should they hit later in the evening rather than earlier. I was already planning to go up to Young Harris College in N. Georgia on Tuesday so I decided to take a chance and make it an overnighter.

Now normally I wouldn't intentionally go hanging in a thunderstorm...something about being connected to a tree with lightening popping around isn't too appealing. However, with my truck parked nearby, I knew I had an ace in the hole and could bail and be safe and dry very quickly if needed.

I headed out from my office mid-afternoon, planning to do a little geocaching on the way north. Made a stop in Helen, Ga for some supper then set up camp just after dark. This was the first time I'd used my newly finished PLUQ...I'll definitely be adding some triangle thingies to the suspension but overall it worked pretty well with a basic shock cord suspension.

By 9:00 camp was set up and I was kicked back in a camp chair enjoying a nice cigar. Around 11:00ish the weather started to roll in so I stashed my chair in the truck and crawled into my sleeping bag in my hammock. Luckily the weather prognosticators were right and the storm lost some of its punch and wasn't too bad in my area. The closest lightening was 5-6 miles away based on times from the flash to the thunder boom. Closer than I would have liked but not quite close enough to drive me into the truck.

Within an hour the lightening had passed, the wind had picked up and the temperature was starting to drop...and I was high, dry and warm. At some point during the night the wind pulled two of my tarp stakes from the ground and I found myself only half covered but when I looked around to assess my situation I looked up to see crystal clear skies and lots of stars. I also noticed my backside was getting cold (temps bottomed out in the low 40s). Apparently the gust of wind has also shifted my underquilt leaving my underside partially exposed. It took a bit of squirming and reaching around under my hammock to take care of that little issue but once my PLUQ was resituated my backside was once again warm in fairly short order. Aside from the wind rocking me around occasionally the rest of the night was pretty uneventful and I slept quite well.

I was quite pleased with everything in general, and with my PLUQ in particular. Between it, the sleeping bag I was using and a set of midweight thermals I was quite warm at 42 degrees and probably could have gone a few degrees lower. The tarp did well aside from the stakes pulling up which was probably my own fault for not seating them deeper than I did (didn't have a hammer and didn't think about finding a rock).

Although my wife and friends thought I was nuts for going, I thought it turned into a fairly successful trip...
    Last edited by Steve D; 04-06-2011 at 13:58.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Nice report, glad you came through ok. I was on a NC AT section hike this past weekend that was planned to have a Tuesday morning hike out, but with the weather coming in we did a 12 mile day and pushed on out Monday afternoon. Good thing, as we had high winds (gusts to 60mph) lighting and hail just as we were leaving from Wayah Bald. I am trying to get a trip report put together tonight.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Pro
    Tarp
    Skylight
    Good job Steve we caught all the bad weather south of ATL. I live in Butts Co and we were hammered. Glad you had a good night

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Nice Getaway Short but nice !that storm was pretty bad over here in winder Glad your experience was good, as bad as that storm was i was thinking of all the people out on the at and wondering what they were experienceing hoping all was well!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice one.... Would the addition of some shock cord to the tarp lines help?

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Very cool...quick question, did you add anything to the poncho liner to increase the insulation? Was thinking of doing a pluq myself for the ga summer
    When life gets you down......make an underquilt!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Lepmeister: Hard to say if shock cords would have helped or not. Part of me wants to say they would but they might have just served to launch my tarp stakes even farther.

GGT: I didn't add any extra insulation to my PLUQ. I did sew in a couple of small pleats on the bottom side to separate the top layer from the bottom layer just a little. I'm not sure how much it will get used during the summer...if this summer is anything like last I think being as little cool on the underside may be a goods thing...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

It's a plane, it's a bird......

[QUOTE=Steve D;448475]Lepmeister: Hard to say if shock cords would have helped or not. Part of me wants to say they would but they might have just served to launch my tarp stakes even farther. QUOTE]

funny you say that.... I put some shockcord on my tarp lines on the weekend and also used shockcord for the pullouts. I was stuffing about and felt one of the pullout stakes come free. Searched around looking for it....nowhere to be found. So trying replicate the 'let go' and find the stake, I did it again. The stake went flying, cleared a few backyards at least.

Lesson - I now use the merlin spike hitch for the pullout/tarp line to stake attachment opposed to just looping it around the stake.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy.....way to gut it out in some adversity!
    It does take a bit of practice....and you did practice.
    always fun. Glad your warmth worked.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

nice hang! I LOVE Helen.. haven't been there in years, beautiful country that way

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast