A new guy from SE Idaho

I come from a land in the shadow of the Tetons -- I breathe the Yellowstone. I've come to learn about your dark arts.

Honestly, I've a few too many bad nights in tent-fulls of snorers. I've burned myself out clearing deep sugar snow just to have a place to pitch said tents. I've been crowded with too many a' person and too much a' gear under one roof. The ground can be a cold, hard, inhospitable host. An Exped mat has made things better, but I still do not sleep well on the ground. I usually wake up (if I slept) with my neck kinked, feeling exhausted and not rested.

I take groups of scouts out a few times a year. I also take my family out from time to time. Part of what brings me here is a desire to get out of the Scout group tent, to sleep in peace. Part of it is comfort. Most of it is, "Can this really work for me?" Could I really swing from a hammock and get a good night's rest?

This is a path I've not yet traveled. Can you teach me the ways of the dark side?
    Are you a Grizzleman?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The Dark side? Nope none of that here, we will bring you up into the trees and the light! Join us ewok's, the tree people. Welcome Handyrandyrc from your neighbor on the other end of the snake. I have a few group hangs planned for this year if you want to join us to see how it's done. The big one is in early September in the Sawtooths.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Thank you, neighbor Paul, for the heads-up! You can call me Randy. I haven't been out to the Sawtooths for a good while. They call to me from the western horizon every day.
    Are you a Grizzleman?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well hey there Randy. Where about are you? I was born down in Soda and used to get over that way to hunt every fall but have not made it in the last few years. Way back in the day relatives home steaded over that way.

Here is a link to the thread about the 2nd Idaho Hang for this fall. Here is the Trip report from last falls hang Part 1 and Part 2. I have a few other trips planned for this summer including a few days to each of the states just to our south but each of those are not going to take the planning that the ID hang does. If you want to hook up for some hammock testing and hiking holler.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

I live in Rexburg -- and work in Idaho Falls. I will keep in touch, Paul. A Grand Trunk Ultralite arrived today, and I have some decent trees in the backyard to experiment with. I suppose first thing will be to see how it works with the standard 'faire.

It seems people here catch 'the sickness' before long.
    Are you a Grizzleman?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Welcome Randy Hope to meet you, and Paul for that matter, at the Fall Saw Tooth hang.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Welcome Randy from about 150 miles south of IF in Northern Utah! Paul does have some group hangs planned out, and of course, he runs the great AHE store, great place to get started.

As far as your other comments - you will find many scoutmasters, etc here - if fact there is one good thread if I can find it on making hammocks on the cheap for scouts.

Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    you are indeed lucky to be where you are , i backpacked for 2 weeks in the sawtooths last year, great place to hang, incredable beauty.
    good luck with your new hammock, new worlds of comfort await you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    Welcome! From another SW Idahoan.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
    Are you a Grizzleman?

• + New Posts