Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i tied a msh in my srl, at both head and foot, to hang mini biners. the result shortened my srl to the ideal length for me. i lay on a slightly greater diagonal. more comfort and 2 places to hang bags and stuff.
    for me, cramps are the result of over stretching/exertion. usually hamstrings, from bending over incorrectly to p/u sticks and what not.
    i think that Spam has so much salt and preservatives that it reduces the occurrence of cramping, in my experience. it does increase nighttime and early morning flatulence. the addition of potted meat in the mourning will effectively extend the am flatulence to an all day event. pickle juice also helps to reduce cramping.
    an ideal evening meal for me is a couple of slices of spam with a "big dilly" and a pack of lance crackers, granola bar to top it all off and 2-3 cups of weak tea. in the woods, that's living!
    Last edited by flatline; 04-11-2011 at 18:51.

Hamhocker gets calf and ankle cramps all the time. She has tried all of the things suggested and still gets them. One thing she has found is she can cut her cramps by 50% by making sure her calfs/ankles are warm. If they get cold she gets cramps. So were are looking for some good leg warmers for her to wear even in the summer time.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I get this on the trail and in the back yard. I think a hammock kind of stretches the muscle a little. One night I got it real bad in the back yard and in the morning my wife asked me if I got cramps cause she heard my moaning.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    So I love my Warbonnet Blackbird and will never use a tent again. The comfortable sleep you get in this hammock is just awesome. I have only been having one little problem though and I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. The first time I slept in it my toes started to cramp after awhile, I figured I was just a little dehydrated or something. Well this weekend I had a leg cramp that literally made me zip open the hammock super fast and fall out it so I could stand up and get some blood back to the muscle. Has anyone ever had this issue and what have you done to combat it?
    This is so weird. I've never experienced leg cramps in any of my hammocks until last week during an eight day hike. It happened two nights....same place (calf) in different legs. Coincidentally it was also the first time I used my WBBB. I should also state that I hadn't been drinking sufficient amounts of water.....I rarely do. I did feel the pressure under my knees when using the footbox but actually liked it. It seemed to prevent the dreaded leg lock and felt quite comfortable. I have no idea if it has anything to do with the BB but I will be keeping track of it. BTW...it was near freezing when it happened but my legs felt quite warm. (Thanks to my Incubator)

I also have not been able to get the ridge line as slack (when lying in it) as Brandon does in his videos. I've tried hanging my suspension straps at all different angles and the ridge line is always very tight. If anyone knows the secret to that please post it. It may hold the key to the leg pressure. I hope it's not the hammock because I love it.

Miguel

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Ditto on being properly hydrated and using quinine.
    Diet Tonic water seems to work, (But is it adding in that extra liter of fluid that is fixing the hydration issue??)
    I've even talked a few more progressive MD's into writing a prescription for it, but -you still need to hydrate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    I've suffered from chronic leg cramps since I was 12 years old. Docs used to prescribe quinine but the FDA, in their infinite wisdom no longer approves of quinine for anything other than malaria... soooo

I've been taking Potassium Gluconate and Magnesium daily. Both are available at WW. Take one of each am and pm and adjust your dosage upward until your cramps stop or are so rare so as to be all but eliminated. It does help to keep your legs warmish all night and maintain good circulation. Drink lots of water, too.

Have your Doc do blood tests so that you know you're not exceeding safe levels.

I rarely have the cramps any more but I have a stash of internet Canadian pharmacy quinine just in case.
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
    I used to get cramps like this quite a bit. In fact, the first time I was woken up with a severe leg (calf) cramp was on my 30th birthday. Welcome to older age!

Anyways, an older friend of mine told me of the importance of electrolytes, and the impact they have. I proceeded to make sure that my first batch of water during a hike had an electrolyte pack in them, and I also take a supplement of potassium and magnesium. Stretching those achy calf muscles 1/2 before bed is a regular part of my hiking routine as well. (This is also very important for plantar faciitis in fact it cured mine without surgery. Stretch, stretch. The same stretch that helps the calf muscle also stretches that ligament between the heel and ball of your foot.)

I've never had problems with cramping again.

WWhermit
    I don't so much have "cramps" as I do restless legs syndrome, in a hammock or otherwise. I do find that calcium and magnesium seems to help quite a bit.

However, once on the 1st day of a week long hike, while sweating up a big hill, my quads started cramping bad. Very painful. As soon as we stopped for a break, I pulled out the Pringles and ate a bunch. Problem solved, and no more cramps that trip. I ate some Pringles chips most every day. I assume salt was the issue, I don't know what other electrolyte Pringles would have?

My success with Plantar Fasciitis is a dif story, though I do stretch some. Can you tell me exactly what stretches you use and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Hamhocker gets calf and ankle cramps all the time. She has tried all of the things suggested and still gets them. One thing she has found is she can cut her cramps by 50% by making sure her calfs/ankles are warm. If they get cold she gets cramps. So were are looking for some good leg warmers for her to wear even in the summer time.
    Keep us posted if things are any better with her BMBH. Unlikely I guess, as it sounds like hers are not just in a hammock.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    billybob, potato chips have more potassium than bananas. that is why when i am hiking, i will eat potato chips. not hiking, baked potato or sweet potato will do the trick at home!!!potato = high potassium! i learned that from my old nutritionist when i was a usaa swimmer

my $.05 worth(inflation)
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Yes!! I have experienced too many times being launched out of my hammock by killer calf muscle cramps (in my left calf muscle0. These have been intense enough to put me on my hands and knees unable to stand up! Seems to occur more when being sedentary during the day,than active. Does not often occur after hiking. Was wondering how many others have enjoyed this occurence and if it was a hammock relayed issue?? Right side sleeper (head to right, feet left). Might be worth keeping tabs on a survey.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I really think it must be a hydration/electrolyte issue for me because it never happens to me unless I have done a lot of exercising or some other strenuous activity for the day. It just seems to be exacerbated in the hammock and the only reason I can think of for this is that my legs are elevated more and the blood flow to the legs would be less. I think I just need to "camel up" on more fluids and electrolytes at the end of the day and stretch more. I will post more after a few more weekends trying this new strategy with the results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast