Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Did you drop in at the Sea Turtle rehab center? http://www.georgiaseaturtlecenter.org/ A friend of mine is the veterinarian there and the place is terrific and does great work.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    the ENO lights set up
    Not to cause a thread drift, but, how do you like these? I have been looking at these for a few months now and was thinking these would be great for the kids for around camp!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My wife and I set up our Hennessy Hammocks for the first time a couple of weeks ago at an overnight trip to the public campgrounds at our lake. Not too bad overall, but I had a couple of people ask in passing about it, and a lot of staring. The worst though was the reason I hate public campgrounds... an extremely intoxicated woman stumbling through our camp at about 10pm, knocking into things, ignoring my warnings about the guylines, and just screwing up all sorts of stuff. I think a bear would have done less damage.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've only had my hammock in a 4x4 camp ground. So not too Many people. To fend off. The first time I set it up out side everyone was offering me tent space but when I jumped out in the morning ready to move and go wheeling. They where amazed when I reported to have been quite warm.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    One guy even said I could sleep in his tent with his wife if he could sleep in my hammock.
    Ummmmm...NO!

I intend to carry an extra (prolly the Traveler) for gear and the occasional try out request. However, some folks may be chased away with a stick...just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by kgbenson View Post
    Did you drop in at the Sea Turtle rehab center? http://www.georgiaseaturtlecenter.org/ A friend of mine is the veterinarian there and the place is terrific and does great work.

Keith
    No. We spent the days fishing an caught nothing due to wind blowing what seemed like 400mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Not to cause a thread drift, but, how do you like these? I have been looking at these for a few months now and was thinking these would be great for the kids for around camp!
    Love them. In fact I just bought a second set. One set would not outline the whole tarp.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One guy even said I could sleep in his tent with his wife if he could sleep in my hammock. I did not think it would be a fair trade.
    I restrained my self from commenting. Nope, not gonna do it, just keep reading the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Ummmm where was this again....I gotta hammock he can use.......
    ...then along comes Randy and I nearly spew my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Good story, but that's not why I don't like public campgrounds. It's the public, and all of the trappings of the anti-wilderness that they seem to need to have an outdoor experience. Gringo the Curmudgeon
    My brother "the Curmudgeon" and I are of a like mind. It's the "public" that I find displeasing.

In fact, I seem to be a Boy Scout/ Cub Scout magnet. As much as I respect those programs and many of the folks in them, I hope to never see another one at a campsite. In fact, I cannot remember many car camping trips where there have not been scouts.

It's not the boys that annoy me. It's the irresponsible, inconsiderate adults who are the ones that drive in to the campground late at night with their high beams turned on who proceed to drive back and forth looking for a site only to decide upon the one across from me, (even though there are 2 dozen equally good vacant sites), into which they back in while lighting up my already "shut down for the night" camp.

They are the ones that make most of the noise setting up in the dark.

It is with their approval that the sunrise bugler wakes up their camp and disturbs anyone else within a 2 mile radius

And it is thier lack of supervision that allows boys to run rough shod, screaming and hollering, through neighboring campsites well after the camps established "quiet hours"

The kids then learn to behave as they are allowed and spawn a whole new generation like themselves.

Yep, I guess that's why I like cold, wet, rainy days in out of the way places where I can enjoy the quality of my tarp and rain gear and the solitude which was the draw to the woods in the first place.

I also like the occasional group hang too.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    After discovering winter camping and hanging this past winter, I can say that I will only visit public car camping campgrounds in the winter. The top 2 compelling reason are

1) Almost no other people there to bother you
    2) No bugs.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I restrained my self from commenting. Nope, not gonna do it, just keep reading the thread...

...then along comes Randy and I nearly spew my drink.

My brother "the Curmudgeon" and I are of a like mind. It's the "public" that I find displeasing.

In fact, I seem to be a Boy Scout/ Cub Scout magnet. As much as I respect those programs and many of the folks in them, I hope to never see another one at a campsite. In fact, I cannot remember many car camping trips where there have not been scouts.

It's not the boys that annoy me. It's the irresponsible, inconsiderate adults who are the ones that drive in to the campground late at night with their high beams turned on who proceed to drive back and forth looking for a site only to decide upon the one across from me, (even though there are 2 dozen equally good vacant sites), into which they back in while lighting up my already "shut down for the night" camp.

They are the ones that make most of the noise setting up in the dark.

It is with their approval that the sunrise bugler wakes up their camp and disturbs anyone else within a 2 mile radius

And it is thier lack of supervision that allows boys to run rough shod, screaming and hollering, through neighboring campsites well after the camps established "quiet hours"

The kids then learn to behave as they are allowed and spawn a whole new generation like themselves.

Yep, I guess that's why I like cold, wet, rainy days in out of the way places where I can enjoy the quality of my tarp and rain gear and the solitude which was the draw to the woods in the first place.

I also like the occasional group hang too.
    Agreed! That is why when my Tiger Cubs are older and accompanying me onto public lands they will know how to do it right. The lack of leadership, and true outdoorsmanship is dispicable. I lit a fire with firesteel for my kids and the parents looked at me like I was a caveman... and I loved it
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast