Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Unlike my northern brothers I'm usually fighting the heat rather than the cold. I would be miserable stuffed inside my tent in the stagnant heat of FL. In the hammock it's much more bearable.

My rough calculations show I saved about a pound from the tent to hammock setups. The bulk went up a bit though so I had to go with a slightly bigger pack. As it turned out though the bigger pack was also lighter (Osprey Exos vs Atmos).

I had a couple of near converts the last trip. They were quite envious watching me sit comfortably and cook under my tarp in the middle of a downpour.

I also roll out of the hammock in the morning with few or none of the aches/pains I suffer crawling out of the tent. I've got about the most cushy pad I can fine (BA IAC) and I still get sore hips/back on the ground.

True that Florida heat...another rockledge here. It is miserable up till January. Florida in and of it self made me a convert. The weight savings in the south is immense with the lack UQs and thin TQ's if needed in summer. Permethrin...a must.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    webbing
    I think it really depends. In the summer I would lean more towards a hammock setup. Your average tent is going to weigh more and take up more space. Granted you can get something like a Big Agnes seedhouse which is an expensive, lightweight, compact tent that will match the size and weight of a Hammock setup, but in the end your average backpacking tent will weigh 4lb or more and be such a size that it will need to be strapped (at least the poles) outside your backpack if your going on a multiday hiking trip.

My hammock system is smaller than my 30 degree compressed sleeping bag, and, I have the larger ENO stuff and I'm a noob to hammock camping. I seen some summer hammock setup by experts here that are under 1lb and can fit in a shoebox.

Winter Hammock camping becomes more bulky, but figure you really are pushing it with a lightweight 3 season tent. Most 4 season tents that can handle snow and winter winds are pushing 6lb or more and are at least 24" long when packed.

Hammock
    MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    For me, a hammock adds about .5lb to my setup, but that only brings me up to a 1.5lb setup with the hammock which is still well under the 2lb guideline used by most UL'ers like myself. I have a bit of a cheat in my height but I had that with tarps and bivi setups too. At 63 inches tall I can get by with a much smaller UQ and TQ as well as a foot or two off the hammock body and tarp.

11-12oz for a 3/4 UQ, 14-15 for a TQ which is what I'm guesstimating for the setup I'm working towards, is actually less weight than the TQ with a Neo Air 3/4 length and a whole lot more comfy. Where I add in the extra weight is I do need a bigger tarp over a hammock than I did for tarp camping and the suspension is added extra where as before I did double duty with my trekking poles.

But other than the weight, the bonuses you get really outweigh a ground setup. To get anywhere near the same comfort level on the ground that I get in a hammock, I'd have to add several pounds. I know for me adding an extra few ounces and a piece of gear or two is well worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789