DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

What is the best suspension for a Noob..

I am trying to figure out the best suspension? What i am looking for is something that is light and a no brainer to set-up after day of hiking. I know that slap straps are "lacking" in the world of hammocks. Just would like to hear two cents and maybe pick you brain and not your nose...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I like whoopie slings personally. They're really light, very strong and easily adjustable. Plus, if you just make them yourself can be inexpensive as well.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What kind of hammock?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A Whoopie may seem daunting. What is amsteel? Where do I get it? What is braid? Why do I bury the brumell with a thin guage wire similar but different to a constrictor in 1/8 or 7/64/.

Watch the video, read the sticky.

A whoopie sling is
    Easy to make
    Satisfying that you made your own gear
    Light enough to float on water
    The most no brainer method of hanging when tired

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That is a fairly easy question to answer. As said already --Whoopie slings. Either buy or make. I was in your shoes at first(OK I still don't know everything about hanging). I just ordered Dutch clips from JRB yesterday. I have a WBBB that I haven't slept in yet, I inquired about some tarp flyz from Dutch, I read allot about tarp ridge lines last night, I have a Super shelter that needs put on my Hennessy, extra tree straps for the Byler, man on and on. I better get my stuff together(miss opening day of spring turkey season) and head on down to the Pine Grove hammock thing in a month. I think I need to ask some questions and look and see. Triangle thingies--OHHH MAAAAN!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have just made the move to whoopies and I think it will stick with them. I'm yet to see any real benifit from straps and rings. I do like the facts that you get to tie the knot and put the strap on the knot not the toggle (say that everytime...) both are easy to set-up, just more parts/steps the the process with whoopies i guess.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    No brainer for me would have to be the strap system like Warbonnet has. Wrap it around a tree, clip a biner, adjust buckle, done.

I have upgraded to whoopies though, mainly because I made them myself, and I like using stuff I make. Setting up the whoopies does take a few more seconds, strap around tree through nacrobiner, marlin spike toggle in, attach whoopie, adjust, done. The only additional step in the whoopie system is the marlin spike & toggle.

Things I have noticed between the 2 for me.

The strap system is extremely easy to use. Couple things though. If your setting up your hammock and realize your straps are not adjusted out far enough, or just far enough to reach between the two trees, they are tough to adjust (loosen) once tension is applied. Most of the time involving taking one end loose or pulling enough tension on one side to loosen the other. If that all make sense. You could also just adjust them as your pulling everything out. In windy conditions, the straps will on occasion buzz. It does require a fare amount of wind, but sometimes the wind will blow in at the perfect angle. This of course can be cured by simply adding a few twists to the straps.

My Whoopie setup. Same situation as far as tension on them, they can be tough to adjust, but allot easier than the buckles. If I cant adjust them under tension, I just slip the fixed eye off the toggle, adjust, slip back on. Or adjust the position of the toggle. With the strap material I am using with my whoopie system, I have not noticed the wind buzz. One extra step with the my whoopie system is, sense I am using a toggle and marlin spike, I have to make sure I position the sling over the knot and not the toggle. It's pretty much like breathing now, just happens without noticing.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 04-12-2011 at 09:47.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    check this out. swat i use.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    No brainer for me would have to be the strap system like Warbonnet has. Wrap it around a tree, clip a biner, adjust buckle, done.

I have upgraded to whoopies though, mainly because I made them myself, and I like using stuff I make. Setting up the whoopies does take a few more seconds, strap around tree through nacrobiner, marlin spike toggle in, attach whoopie, adjust, done. The only additional step in the whoopie system is the marlin spike & toggle.
    + 1 on both setups and comments.

The simplest right out of the box is the strap and buckle system. That is what I have on my loaners, my wife's and my son's.

Whoopies are lighter and there's the DIY coolness factor that has me using them.

My advice: Keep it simple but don't settle. Start with straps and buckles then experiment as time and resources allow to see what's best for you.

I think an Amsteel loop with rings and webbing is the easiest to learn, although I have never used it, or hammock at all.
    "For the Glory of All, The Light Shines on".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast