Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

High and Dry

So, the other day my boy scout troop went camping to 'break in' the new recruits, and guess what? It rained! Pretty much all the adults scoffed: "you'll get soaked!" they said, "you're little tarp can't possibly keep you dry!"

The next morning, I woke up under my $10 walmart tarp dry as a bone.

The irony? The rain had soaked through the rain flies on some of the tents, and had soaked through the bottoms of others. I couldn't help but feel a little smug, surrounded by tired, wet ground dwellers.

And while I'm here, what's the big deal with the enormous sil nylon tarps I've seen? My standard-issue tarp has served me flawlessly...

Edit: noticed the typo in the title. My bad.

-Aduro
    Last edited by AduroNox; 04-11-2011 at 23:59. Reason: Typo
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    That's awesome you stayed high and dry, Hugh!
    The thing about big tarps is there's legislation in the works to ban tarps larger than 10'x10', so lots of us are stocking up on the big kahunas.
    Nah, they're just easier to cover the hammock. My first tarp was an 8'x10', and while it was relatively easy to cover the hammock, it didn't go very far down to the ground, and I had to have it snugged down over my hammock, which made entry and egress from the hammock annoying. Now I have a hugacious 11'x12', which is soooo much nicer as far as headroom goes. It also goes much further down to the ground if I want it to, which helps in winter to cut the breeze.
    I have another tarp in my head, and it'll probably be a bit shorter (10.5' or 11' ridgeline instead of 12').
    I'm glad I started out with a small(er) tarp, because it taught me a lot of good techniques for staying covered and rigging in general, but the bigger tarps are that much easier.

Hope that answered some of your curiosity,
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You really could have stuck it to you buddies if you had a bigger tarp. Set it up as a patio awning and cook breakfast under cover while everyone else is surrying around in their rain gear trying to get their stoves to stay lit in the rain.

No... wait.. everyone else would be under your tarp enjoying the cover. But they still wouldn't be impressed with the set up since they are scoffers to start with.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You really could have stuck it to you buddies if you had a bigger tarp. Set it up as a patio awning and cook breakfast under cover while everyone else is surrying around in their rain gear trying to get their stoves to stay lit in the rain.

No... wait.. everyone else would be under your tarp enjoying the cover. But they still wouldn't be impressed with the set up since they are scoffers to start with.
    Exactly! I have had it happen more than once: every one gathering under my porch! But it was OK, I welcomed the company! But, the other poor souls were on sit pads under my tarp while I was comfy lounging in my hammock. One who converted after that experience said it was not so much because of seeking a more comfortable sleep, but because he was tired of trying to find a rock to sit on and tired of being confined to a tent in the rain.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What a triumph, Aduro.
    Is your WM tarp a standard blue tarp or is it the "new" 5 x 7 WM tarp?
    If you kept dry with that little thing then that is impressive.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a BIG tarp and love it!! It is usually both me and my wife and gives us alot better coverage on the sides for two hammocks, and like said above being able to have a dry place to cook and hangout makes the extra size/weight worth every bit to me! But definitely to each his/her own!!

I take a small condo with me.. I'm pretty much covered for anything short of a hurricane and I'll stay bone dry. Standing 14ft tall and 12ft wide.. coming at a whopping 2+lbs.. the Chinooooooooooooook Taaaaaarrrrrp.

Coverage is stupid excessive and I love it.

• + New Posts