Western Maryland

AT Hike, N VA into MD April 2011

This was a 4 day, 3 night hike starting from Harpers Ferry, WV. I went South on the AT the first day to Blackburn Trail Center. Temps dropped to the low 40's that night, with a nice steady rain. I woke up to 37F, but the rain had stopped. I slept great listening to rain hitting my Superfly tarp!

The 2nd morning I headed South about 5 miles through the Devils Racecourse to Rt 7. I had a snickers bar and some water, then flipped around and headed North. The temps were hovering around 43F most of the day, and a heavy fog pervaded. I hiked back to within a mile of Keys Gap and found a great spot just up the hill about 40yds off the trail and set up. It was only 3pm, and I sat and watch a lot of folks hike by that never noticed me up the hill. Being on a hill, and rocky, I'm pretty sure no one has every camped there before. Great spot!! This was about a 16 mile day, give or take some rambing aroud I did.

The 3rd day I hiked down to Harpers Ferry. I stopped in to the ATC for a visit, and got a cup of coffee downtown as I looked around some. Then across the Byron Memorial bridge and North on the AT I went. I had supper at Gathland, and then headed back South on the AT to a spot I passed that looked like a great hang area. It turned out to be one of the best nights I've had in awhile. Clear skies, great view. I never deployed the tarp. I watched the stars and slept like a dream. I love my hammock!!

So, I've never made a video before. I don't have the greatest camera, and it's been dropped in a creek once, but I gave it a try. Sort of a short version of a video trip report.

Great stuff, thanks for the report and vid! I've been through that section many times (the MD/WVA/NVA area) there are many great spots to camp!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Baltimore, MD
    Hammock Gear
    Woopies & Straps
    excellent report and a beautiful section to hike. Those pics look pretty cool in the misty rain.
    Dreaming of the outdoors
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Denver, CO
    Excellent trip report and video. Thanks so much. Love the fog and slow pan shots.

I sure hope all the HF members out thru hiking the AT packed good rain gear and warm easy to dry clothing.