DIY GE, Bridge, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Got me stumped on this one.. What size is your home made? Are your straps centered?
    (same length from the walls) I have the stock rl we are about the same size minus some pounds. I sleep full time in mine, no problems.. Currently my rl is pretty slacked..
    I think my DIY is only 48" wide, but it is 12' long. I folded the ends, accordion style, with an extra fold on the outsides to provide just the right amount of tension on the sides. Then I simply tied it in an overhand knot. What can I say, it was my first impulsive attempt at trying a hammock, and I stumbled on just the right dimensions to achieve a great first nights sleep. I slept from 8pm to 7am that early spring night.
    Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Bit of time has past. Memory might be wrong. I think ended up with a shorter than stock ridge line and body position ended up slightly more diagonal. Replaced the Amsteel line with a diy Dynaglide WS to allow for tweaking.
    I did the same thing with using an easy to adjust ridge line.

I noticed that I like a 104" ridge line on my 12' DIY. Since the Traveler is only 10' long, maybe I'll shorten up the ridge line to the same relative length.

Let's see 104" divided by 144" equals 0.722

So 0.722 times 120" equals 86.64"

Wow, that's a lot shorter than I thought. Maybe I'm just not going short enough for my preferences. I'll try it out tonight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post
    I think my DIY is only 48" wide, but it is 12' long............ I slept from 8pm to 7am that early spring night.
    I suspect that plays a big part in the comfort. With few exceptions, I can rate the comfort of my gathered end or channel hammocks by their length. My longest hammock, at ~139" is my Safari which is also my over all most comfortable non-bridge. My shortest hammock is my Speer, and it is my least comfortable over all. But just to confuse things, the Speer is one of the most comfortable when it comes to lack of calf pressure, so go figure. Really,the only way in which the Speer is a complete no go for me is on my side legs straight- can't do it.

I don't know how long my JRB bridge is, but I don't think it much matters, as long as it is long enough for you to stretch out without hitting the end caps with my head and feet.

Let's see 104" divided by 144" equals 0.722

So 0.722 times 120" equals 86.64"

Wow, that's a lot shorter than I thought. Maybe I'm just not going short enough for my preferences. I'll try it out tonight. __________________
    My very comfortable Explorer measures ~ 125" long by my actual measurements and is supposed to have a 108" RL. So, 108/125= .864! What a coincidence!

However, my even more comfortable Safari is ~ 138" long and I remember it's RL was supposedly only 4" longer at 112" .8115.
    By my actual measurements, the RL is even shorter than I remember the specs being and the same length as the Explorer, or 108" or 108/138= .783.

That is a lot of sag. I can barely reach the RL with my fingers when laying down. I don't know id any of that proves anything, but it sure is comfortable!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-12-2011 at 14:48.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    My longest hammock, at ~139" is my Safari which is also my over all most comfortable non-bridge.
    I do sleep really well in my bridge hammock. The underquilt fits so nicely, all tension is streamlined with my body. My dislikes with the bridge have to deal with the need for bars, extra weight, less comfortable to sit and chat, longer length, and the need to set the tarp higher for the bars. I don't feel very rain protected under my MacCat Deluxe. I guess I could bring it this weekend and find out. Doors would probably help with that a lot.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I'm in the process of making some dynaglide whoopies and ridge line for my 1.1 single traveler. I was thinking about doing the whoopie ridge line so I can adjust it to find the comfort spot before making it a non adjustable. I assume its common sense, but do I just make a normal whoopie for the ridge line? I'd put the adjustable bury in toward the end to make sure I have maybe 10" of play and not a whole bunch.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks of how to make an adjustable whoopie sling like ridge line?

How long should I make the bury?
    Last edited by exup; 04-12-2011 at 15:55.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I think my traveler is 100 " the stock setting I am 6 ' 240lbs and I sleep on a diagnal with no major issues other than sometimes the right arm falls asleep don't know if it's maybe from shoulder squeeze

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Yes, I talk to my self while I problem solve.
    If you under stand the voices in your head you are ok
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Have you tried putting your head where your feet go? I have had to go all directions to find my sweet spot on some of my hammocks.
    Shug
    Great point. I tried switching to head right and feet left in my Traveler for the first time last weekend and it made a huge difference for me. For some reason it solved the problem I had with keeping my feet in the hammock and also lessened the calf ridge.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    I'm not sure what the consensus is on the cause of shoulder squeeze. Is there one? Part of me would think that if the ridge line was longer, affording a tighter sag on the fabric, that would increase shoulder squeeze. Yet I have experienced nights waking up with painful shoulders all night when I was unable to get a tight enough hang, like pitching the hammock in a shelter with the beams too close together.

What are other peoples' thoughts on the subject? If there is a thread already, please link me to it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks of how to make an adjustable whoopie sling like ridge line?

How long should I make the bury?
    I don't know what other people do, but I've found my method to be really convenient. Since it's not meant to be the permanent ridge line, I don't worry about minimal weight.

I take two lengths of amsteel about 100" or so. I create a locked brummel spliced loop on one end of each. I use those to connect on each end of the hammock, on the suspension. I then bury the right cord into the left cord about 12" or so. I have the end of the right cord exit the bury about 24" or so from the looped end of the left cord. I repeat the same with the left into the right. It locks pretty nicely and gives you an easy adjustment without having to rotate an adjustable loop around the end of the hammock and it's suspension.

When you find the length that you like, it's easy to remove and measure for your permanent ridge line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast