Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In theory as the suspension nears 30* (the magic hang angle) the loading of the suspension is roughly your weight on both ends of the hammock. (Assuming gathered end.) Each degree closer to horizontal increases the load factor exponentially. By the time you get horizontal the force on the suspension nears infinity. There is a chart around somewhere that shows this in graphical terms and makes it easier to understand.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images
    I am using that line as my structural ridge line and it works fine. However, I am not using it as my main suspension. (I'm using dynaglide).

You can splice that line and make whoopies etc, but it is very stiff and needs to be "massaged" before splicing.

Happy Trails.

Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    Nope nope, don't do it. Suspension lines should be rated at least 1400 lb or more - like a amsteel whoopie sling. This would be great for a ridgeline but absolutley not for suspension. Your math might seem logical, but its not. Load calculations are much more complex and vary with angles, weight, and lengths.
    However, like I said, it would be an excellent purchase for ridgelines - tarp or hammock.
    Thanks. I already received it and was planning on jsut that and it hit me to use as suspension. I love this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I think it would make the perfect suspension for you and the video you will shoot for our amusement.
    Not gonna happen... LOL

=========================
    Thanks for all the responses. I love this site for the information that all the users are willing to share.

And for the record I use Amsteel 7/64" and whoopie slings. And the the thought just popped into my head and made me go "Mmmmmmm..... What if.."

So thanks again for the input.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Just as an FYI, a properly made whoopie sling retains 80% of the ropes rating. The weak point is the exit of the adjustable bury, so it doesn't matter that there are two parallel strands in the loop part.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12319
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just as a comparison, I just got my amsteel and tech line in from BWDD. The tech line is 1/2 to 1/4 smaller than the amsteel. Feel wise, the amsteel is soft and flexible whereas the tech line is stiff and feels kind of like the braided rope used in rodeos and roping. If that makes any sense. I had wondered the same question but ended up going with amsteel anyway. better safe than sorry right?

Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    If you're just looking for the lightest suspension line possible, to my knowledge dyna glide, at 1.6oz per 100' is the lightest. It is even light than zing it and most of what people are using for tarp pull out lines. To my knowledge the only line lighter than the dyna glide is the zpacks 1.25mm line. Ill have to double check what their 1.5mm line is. And they are not suitable to hang from.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images

visual guide

KoBold.... thank you for this. This does clear it up quite a bit. I can understand this much better than text.

Pictures are good.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I am not an engineer, but I seem to remember that a safety factor of four is common in designs (buildings, bridges, etc).
    Jim
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was searching old posts and happened upon this statement which I thought deserved a clarification.

As a registered structural engineer, I can assure you that safety factors on buildings and bridges are nowhere near 4. We design using the LRFD method which uses load factors of 1.2 to 1.6, as well as resistance factors which are usually 0.75 to 0.90. They design around an increased design load as well as a decreased material strength. These load and resistance factors are used in myriad calculations along the way.

The actual composite "safety factor" (this term is no longer applied in structural applications) usually comes out to around 1.6-ish, depending on the actual design.

On the broader topic of rope and safety factors...

Straight safety factors are still used in less complicated applications such as lifting devices and components (including rope, wire rope, chain, etc.). And this, of coure, is a simple de-rating of the item in question from its ultimate capacity to a working load limit (WLL) that people are expected to use as their highest intended loading.

Having said all that, the actual safety factor is usually 3.0 to 4.0, depending on the application. For overhead lifting, OSHA generally requires a 3.0 safety factor. So in the vast majority of cases, what you will see listed as the WLL for rope or other commercially-available items will be 3.0, even if they say "don't lift things overhead with it".

For example, the 1" nylon tow-strap webbing I bought at the local hardware store has a breaking strength (ultimate capacity) of 2700 lbs. But it lists a WLL of 900 lbs. Simple trigonometry, as illustrated exceedingly well a few posts back, shows that this is plenty sufficient for most people.

Do consider, though, that the loads shown in the graphs above are for static loads only! Such as when you're sleeping and still. These loads can be much, much higher in dynamic loading. For example, if you sort of fall back in your hammock when sitting, it's a shock load that can spike the actual tensile load on the suspension. Even tossing and turning during the night can create tension spikes that are higher than those shown in the charts for your weight and angle. If you hammock swings with the wind, these loads can go higher as you reach the bottom of the pendulum arc.

Still, most shock loading conditions would only require a 2.5-ish safety factor. So keeping with the original 3.0 safety factor should account for it.

(Dang, that turned into a dissertation real quick. You guys seem to have a good handle on this topic already, but I had to finish my thought!)

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I see its your third post, Tobus welcome to the forums. I also see your area is TX, so going to comment that there is a hang in a little over a week down here. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31779 is the link to the thread on it, feel free to drop in and see other setups/gear if you'd like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast