Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am glad I went with the 15' straps from strapworks, with loops at both ends. I am considering using a length of para cord & some creative knotting to make a non structural ridgeline out of the excess strapping, so the weight isnt going to waste.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Not to take things off topic but that is an interesting buckle you have on that strap, angrysparrow. That looks cooler than the two climbing rings method. Where can a person get that?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    When I set up the Speers I would have to find smaller trees in order to go around several times.
    Thanks for the info.
    You can always resort to a just one wrap around a large tree and secure it with a slippery knot with the webbing when you can't find smaller trees. I have used a slippery bowline and it released okay. I think others use a couple of half hitches with the 2nd one slippery... actually a lot of folks finish off the multi-wrap knot with a couple of half hitches, the 2nd one slippery.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    Not to take things off topic but that is an interesting buckle you have on that strap, angrysparrow. That looks cooler than the two climbing rings method. Where can a person get that?
    OnRope1. It's called a cinch buckle. Lots of info on this forum about the buckles.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Angrysparrow for the pictures to help clear it up for me. The hammock has the same buckles as shown. Now I'll have to get some for my other hammock. Did I read somewhere before that it is a good idea to put a knot in the loose part of the strap after the buckle or does it never slip? I hung once in a terrible windstorm where I bounced up and down till at least 3 in the morning. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Did I read somewhere before that it is a good idea to put a knot in the loose part of the strap after the buckle or does it never slip? I hung once in a terrible windstorm where I bounced up and down till at least 3 in the morning. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.
    It is certainly advisable if you were using a pair of rings, but I've never found it to be necessary with the buckle.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Even with using a carabiner most still like having 15 ft. of strap? I suppose this helps with site selection or large trees. I was having trouble wrapping the Speers with bigger trees and was wondering what would happen if I ended up in old growth forest. As for the straps, I can see having a loop on one end, but why the other?
    Thing I don't get is without the help from you guys on this forum I may have given up on hanging. The Hennessy has a cord which is a pain to tie off and when learning to center and correct for sag takes a lot of time. The Speers ties off nicely, but like I said before, is limited due to the straps. I think they should offer more information or accessories for hanging. I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on things.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WB BB, HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just cut the ropes on my HH yesterday and added straps and rings. I hung the hammock between 2 posts in the basement. Wow what a difference in setup and adjustment.

Dale

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Even with using a carabiner most still like having 15 ft. of strap?
    Some do. I carry 12' ones now, and find that to be best for my purposes. Longer than that and I prefer to change site selection, shorter than that is limiting. YMMV

As for the straps, I can see having a loop on one end, but why the other?
    There is no downside. It gives you a backup in case something should happen to the stitching of the loop (just turn the strap around) and the only weight penalty is the thread that the second loop is sewn from.

...I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on things. Thanks
    Great! That's what the forum is for.

I haven't gotten my Claytor Jungle Hammock yet, my first foray into Hammockdom but it appears this webbing with cinch buckle system is one of the quickest/easiest ways of securing a hammock. Can this system be used with a Claytor Jungle Hammock? If so, I'll go with the 1.5" polyester webbing but the only cinch buckles I find are either 1", 1-3/4", or 2". Can I use the 1-3/4" with the 1.5" webbing?
    Last edited by Splat; 03-26-2008 at 19:58.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast