HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a 1 inch mummy shaped self-inflator that I put inside my bag when it gets really cold. If you inflate it half way or so it will insulate well. I will admit I also have a 1/8 inch ccf pad that goes under the bag always. That takes care of the shoulders.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've been planning on trying to put it in the bag. one of my first times out i was slipping off the pad and got frustrated and used duct tape to attach the pad to the bottom of the bag. it actually worked. i had considered fixing the bag and pad with velcro tape but then discovered that there were things like hammock forums out there and never tried it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    20+ years ago, I sewed a pad pocket onto the bottom of an REI mummy. It worked so well, I wrote letters to everyone I could think of, suggesting they add a pocket to existing bags, and was ignored. I still don't know why this isn't available. Cheap, lightweight...what's not to like?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I was just thinking, could elastic straps be sewn across the bottom of the hammock to hold a pad under it to prevent the pad from sliding out from under you. Or would this mess with how the hammock lays?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Guess I could just try it out on my DIY I'm working on and seeing how it feels. Can always remove it if I don't like the outcome.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    A problem with 20" wide CCF is that hips and shoulders are not protected
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pads
    has good ideas about this.
    I recently bought a sheet of Minicell 1/4" - 72x48. cut it in half to give 48x36 to use as a 36" wide torso pad. It almost fills the hammock widthwise, and doesn't move much. You can wriggle and roll on it without falling off or losing insulation. Two nights at NEHHA Mohican Trail hang at 40 deg f with a Alps Mountaineering 20 deg bag wearing T shirt, light down sweater and track pants was very warm. The problem is when you pack out. The sheet has to be folded in half widthwise and then rolled to give a cylinder 18" long by 6 or 7" thick. AS I was car camping that time, I just rolled it to a 36" cylinder about 5" wide. What I intend to do when I get around to it is to make an SPE such as the one outlined in the JJ page link, which should give a better pack size and also less wrestling to roll it.

Before receiving the Minicell pad I was using a WW blue pad, cut in half and used overlapped as per Risk. That works very well also and is easier to pack.

WOuld like a double layer hammock though. I tried slinging a GT UL under the Hennessy Expedition, but it spoiled the HH lie. I'm going to re-wrap the gathering lines of GT UL to see if I can improve (use a whipping as per JJ gathered end) it as an underpad holder (much cheaper than buying a new Deep Jungle or Warbonnet)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I was just thinking, could elastic straps be sewn across the bottom of the hammock to hold a pad under it to prevent the pad from sliding out from under you. Or would this mess with how the hammock lays?
    You'll probably wind up pushing the pad away from your body with that set up.
    If you want coverage and insulation, just try an SPE.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    A problem with 20" wide CCF is that hips and shoulders are not protected
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pads
    has good ideas about this.
    I recently bought a sheet of Minicell 1/4" - 72x48. cut it in half to give 48x36 to use as a 36" wide torso pad. It almost fills the hammock widthwise, and doesn't move much. You can wriggle and roll on it without falling off or losing insulation. Two nights at NEHHA Mohican Trail hang at 40 deg f with a Alps Mountaineering 20 deg bag wearing T shirt, light down sweater and track pants was very warm. The problem is when you pack out. The sheet has to be folded in half widthwise and then rolled to give a cylinder 18" long by 6 or 7" thick. AS I was car camping that time, I just rolled it to a 36" cylinder about 5" wide. What I intend to do when I get around to it is to make an SPE such as the one outlined in the JJ page link, which should give a better pack size and also less wrestling to roll it.

Before receiving the Minicell pad I was using a WW blue pad, cut in half and used overlapped as per Risk. That works very well also and is easier to pack.

WOuld like a double layer hammock though. I tried slinging a GT UL under the Hennessy Expedition, but it spoiled the HH lie. I'm going to re-wrap the gathering lines of GT UL to see if I can improve (use a whipping as per JJ gathered end) it as an underpad holder (much cheaper than buying a new Deep Jungle or Warbonnet)

I think the problem you had mating the HH with the GT UL is that the HH is asym and the GT is not. I don't know how you could whip a GT UL into an asym. Make a DIY SPE, and you'll never worry about it again.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    20+ years ago, I sewed a pad pocket onto the bottom of an REI mummy. It worked so well, I wrote letters to everyone I could think of, suggesting they add a pocket to existing bags, and was ignored. I still don't know why this isn't available. Cheap, lightweight...what's not to like?
    Dosen't Big Agnes do something like that now? I think the folfs at Stevens Warmlite have been doing that for some time...but with nekid people in the.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12