DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Couple of Noob Questions

I just sewed up my first hammock, and now I have some suspension questions. I'm planning on using whoopie slings for suspension.

Dutch clips or biners: Are they necessary, or just a convenience? Can you just thread the toggle end of the tree strap through the loop without using any extra hardware?

Whoopies: How long should I make them? AHE sells a 25' section of Amsteel. Is 12.5 feet enough for each one. I notice that they say that the whoopies that they sell are made from 14' or rope.

Ridgeline: I have some 1.75mm zing it, can I use that? Can I make a whoopie out of it for an adjustable ridgeline?

Thanks,

-Steve

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    You can absolutely thread your toggle end through your loop end of your tree strap. 12 feet should be enough, zing it will be fine for your ridgeline and it can be spliced for a whoopie style hammock ridgeline. I use 2mm lash it but do have 1.75 zing it on one of my hammocks.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    [quote=lustreking;433225]I just sewed up my first hammock, and now I have some suspension questions. I'm planning on using whoopie slings for suspension.

Dutch clips or biners: Are they necessary, or just a convenience? Can you just thread the toggle end of the tree strap through the loop without using any extra hardware?

Not needed. You can thread the toggle thought the end of the strap if you want. I like to use a Marlinspike hitch. that way I can adjust the length of strap. Its an easy knot to learn and is useful for other things (nice on tarp stakes.)

Whoopies: How long should I make them? AHE sells a 25' section of Amsteel. Is 12.5 feet enough for each one. I notice that they say that the whoopies that they sell are made from 14' or rope.

I used 15 feet and I find them plenty long - in fact most of the time I am adjusting them close to their shortest length. In most cases 12.5 feet should be long enough.

Ridgeline: I have some 1.75mm zing it, can I use that? Can I make a whoopie out of it for an adjustable ridgeline?

As HamMike said, you sure can.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks!

One more question. There are only two suitable trees in my yard, and they are about 28 feet apart. Is it ok to just use really long (12') tree straps? I bought these, planning on cutting one in half to make two 6' straps before I measured how far apart the trees were.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    28 ft is far. It can be done but the straps will have to be way up the tree to maintain good suspension angles (30*). Probably close to 8 feet up off the ground.
    And the distance is big for the tarp. The hammock suspension may interfer with the tarps ability to be set up properly.

Give it a whirl (with extra webbing and line) and see how well it does. You can always plant a post or pipe to create a better location near your trees.

Those straps should work fine. Do not depend on the ratchet system to hold you up, or the hooks Remove both and sew in bigger loops on the ends, for best results.

15-18 feet is ideal, in my opinion, for a good hang distance.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    Thanks!

One more question. There are only two suitable trees in my yard, and they are about 28 feet apart. Is it ok to just use really long (12') tree straps? I bought these, planning on cutting one in half to make two 6' straps before I measured how far apart the trees were.
    The straps will be okay, as far as strength goes, but unless you attach them to the trees really high (higher than you can reach) you'll be cutting your sag angle to less than 15° and the forces on the straps, whoopies, and ridgeline will be more than doubled. That probably cuts the margin of safety for Zing-it as a structural ridgeline too much. You may see those HF straps stretching quite a bit, too.

Long term solution: plant another tree.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just sewed up my first hammock, and now I have some suspension questions. I'm planning on using whoopie slings for suspension.

Thanks,

-Steve
    You absolutley have to use Dutch biners and clips. There is just no way around it. Without Biners and clips all you got is a tent footprint.

I'm gald I could clear that up.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Again, thanks for the input everyone. I think that I've abandoned the idea of hanging between the two trees. I don't think we plan at being at our current house for more than another year or two, so I'm hesitant to sink a pole in the yard.

I did however come across this idea. It seems simple enough, inexpensive enough, and should work. I will probably add a line to tie the two legs together to keep them from spreading too far, though.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've never tried that myself, but it should work. There are posts about similar setups on these forums, and I know they are reported to work.

Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I did however come across this idea. It seems simple enough, inexpensive enough, and should work. I will probably add a line to tie the two legs together to keep them from spreading too far, though.
    The bipod worked great. The only issue is when I tied the tarp off to the bipod, and you get in the hammock, the tarp sags way down. I'll have to get a longer ridgeline to reach the second tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast