Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Should I do it for the kids?

After a couple of tries showing a couple of the boys in my scout troop how to make the Whoopie Slings for their hammocks, I find they are unable or not patient enough to get the job done without HUGE amounts of wasted material. Should I crank out a mess of 6 footers and save myself from going bald? One kid (call him the shredder) destroyed some 20 feet before he managed his first brummel. It was a tragic thing to see.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wow!

Have them practice on some cheap nylon rope!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Ouch!

Hope that kid ain't my bowel surgeon some day

Maybe it's just me, but part of the Canadian Scout motto is to be "wise in the use of [his] resources." Is it not wise just to let them fundraise for some stock lightweight gear?

My list would include,

A tyvek tarp (have an adult cut them out)
    Some dyneema cord for a tarpline
    One Dutch Tarp Fly (use a biner for the other side)
    A pair of adult built (bought) whoopie slings
    A white box stove ($20 alcohol aluminum)
    A 30$ Eno hammock
    A $10 CCF foam pad

So for about $100 a kid you can outfit them with lightweight gear they can learn how to use. No waste, self reliance (they fundraise for it). They may not know how to tie a whoopie sling, but they will have developed some life long skills relating to gear usage/planning/function. And you want to bet a few of them will find their way on to the forums here.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    You already know your answer as a teacher...

Some times it's best to teach someone how to fish...sometimes it's best to just give them a fish...

You are the best to judge...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Buy some cheap hollow core braided poly rope (1/2", 3/8" or 5/16") and let them practice on that. Splicing is a good skill to learn. The principals are the same for most any style rope, and the larger diameter will probably help the kids see the technique better.

Once they learn the proper techniques and can run solo, let them graduate to the good stuff.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I practiced on some cheap 1/8" Dacron dble braid from west marine.(I pulled out the center) I made woopie slingsfor my daughters hammock chair.. they even held my 220lbs. I wouldn't trust hanging all night on that though.
    Last edited by lattie11581; 04-14-2011 at 06:20. Reason: j

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    If the kid comes from a home that is not "handy", it will take him awhile. My nephews are such kids. Parents are brilliant journalists but can't hit a nail. I would give them a task with instructions and let them work out the process. It got better as they have grown so age has it's advantages. In the end, whether they let you know or not, they will get valuable satisfaction from doing it themselves. There are a couple of good ideas above as well. If they waste 20 of Amstel, perhaps they should be earning it in the first place. Gives them a good idea of value and waste.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Totally understand your frustrations. A few weeks back I tried to help our Scout troop make alcohol stoves. It was a nightmare. I think maybe 2 kids walked away with a somewhat functional stove. They all said they wanted to build hammocks like mine too, but when it came down to it they wanted me to buy all the material for them and aren't really willing to do it themselves. They just want the finished product.

I've decided that only a few will actually have the knack for stuff like this. Those who do, I'll teach and help. Those who don't and aren't willing to at least put in a real effort better get a job and be comfortable paying for stuff like this.

I agree with the above ideas. Get a cheap braided cord for them to practice on. Those who manage it can upgrade to the amsteel. Those who don't can just stick with nylon straps tied to their hammocks.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

2010 BA (Before Amsteel)

Before I bought my first batch of Amsteel I bought some 3/8" boat rope from Academy sports. 75' for about $7.50 and it came with a huge carabiner. The rope has a tensile strength similar to 7/64" Amsteel and a working load of over 300#. I made several whoopies with locked brummels out of this rope and hung from it overnight with no problems. At about 1/2 the price of 7/64" it's worth a try and definitely easier to get the concept down working with larger diameter rope. I've had frustrations trying to teach the process to adults so I can just imagine what teaching kids would be like. Some people just aren't handy and some kids haven't grown into it yet. I had to keep telling myself that I've been researching this stuff for months now and it might take others more that a few minutes to pick it up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Totally understand your frustrations. A few weeks back I tried to help our Scout troop make alcohol stoves. It was a nightmare. I think maybe 2 kids walked away with a somewhat functional stove.
    If you are an American scouter, BSA has prohibited all handcrafted, homemade or modified (aka DIY) stoves from use in BSA activities. You can read the details on the Guide to Safe Scouting. My read of the regulations is you can still use a Trangia or other commercially produced stove, as alcohol fuels are on the "not recommended" list rather than a "prohibited" list. All liquid fueled stoves must be used under adult supervision.

I use my DIY stove on outings, but I don't bring it to events with other troops or crews involved. How well you adhere to the guide to safe scouting is up to you (and if you are in any organization that is not the Boy Scouts of America, disreagard all of this post.)

Not trying to preach, but the word on these updated guidelines has been slow to get out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast