Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
    I was tired of waiting and decided to try the cheap route. I purchased a handy-stitch sewing machine thingie at Wal-Mart for about $16. Of course, I could only get it to sew for about an inch before it would quit pulling thread. Or it wouldn't sew at all, only stab holes in the fabric (glad I tested it first...).
    The plan was to use it and return it, but I'm just going to have to return it!

Likewise, s62w23098, I could have hemmed my two hammocks up by now by hand, but I know that stitching some 33 ft of hems just doesn't appeal to me. Especially after about a foot into it. *sigh*

So, I'll have to return my el-cheapo machine (which I think has already been returned, based on the included batteries that aren't supposed to be there) and either chase down the theater's costume making workroom or wait till I can nab my sister's machine.
    Alas, if only patience were a virtue that I possessed!
    I saw those too, and thought about it. You just saved me the hassle.

Trying to do a rolled hem with a machine that jams every 6th stroke is very frustrating, especially with sil slipping around on you. I'm not going to give up on it. I really envy those of you who are great at machine sewing - it's a lot harder than it looks. I have all these ideas running through my head of things I want to make, and tons of fabric, and I can't sew a simple seam!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Yep, Amanda just picked up another real nice sewing machine from freecylce.something . We have to have it repaired and tuned, but the price to repair it is still way cheaper than buying the whole thing new. Now we have 4 machines aaaaahhhhhhh.

Dwight
    Are you starting your own family sweatshop down there in Arkansas? A machine for every member of the family? Seriously, you must have enough work now to justify 4 machines, don't you preach? I know you are going to be getting an order from me shortly. Your wife is going to get tired of sewing.

I have another machine, an antique, that I should pull out and try. Maybe it is just the machine I'm using.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post

I have another machine, an antique, that I should pull out and try. Maybe it is just the machine I'm using.
    Usually older machines do better than the newer ones.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I was using a relatively unused Singer that had been in storage for a number of years. I was attempting to sew across a double layer of webbing when I hit a D-Ring which caused the forward progress to cease. The machine would not pick up the bobbin thread after that. The man at the Singer shop said that during the long storage period the timing belts had loosened and when I hit the D-ring the machine "skipped time". He fixed it. All's well that ends well.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Are you starting your own family sweatshop down there in Arkansas? A machine for every member of the family? Seriously, you must have enough work now to justify 4 machines, don't you preach? I know you are going to be getting an order from me shortly. Your wife is going to get tired of sewing.

I sometimes make the bags, but she pretty much does all the sewing. Her and machines is like me and powertools, there is never enough. As far as my family sewing , if my daughters/sons made you anything, I wouldn't trust it very much . I usually spend all mornings in my office, but with everyone sick I have to take care of them. Hint hint, she likes making tarps more than quilts hint hint . As long as everyone waits patiently she will be alright. Oh, my other job is tacking the Synthetic quilts .

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I saw those too, and thought about it. You just saved me the hassle.

Trying to do a rolled hem with a machine that jams every 6th stroke is very frustrating, especially with sil slipping around on you. I'm not going to give up on it. I really envy those of you who are great at machine sewing - it's a lot harder than it looks. I have all these ideas running through my head of things I want to make, and tons of fabric, and I can't sew a simple seam!
    Glad I was able to help! I thought that maybe it would be more convenient for the slick DWR, but no luck. I'm leaving it in the car till I make a trip back to Wal-Mart so I can return it. My roomie keeps telling me I should have purchased the $130 machine and just return it afterwards. I don't want to lug such a thing around, though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234