Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZ,

I'm thinking of trying to make my first DIY hammock and I wanted to try my hand with this design except I think I'm going to try and incorporate Hangnout's stretchable footbox instead of the triangular footbox.

I think I understand all of the instructions from your original instructions and the video helped out a lot, but I'm still confused about step 4.

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    4. Fold 7-8 inches of material on each end, fold again to 2-3 inches for a double thickness.
    This fold should include the tip edge of the triangle, but not cover the opening in the triangle long side hem. Double Sew channel, leaving about a 1-1/2 inch channel for whipping.
    Are you talking about the footbox triangle or the the hammock body itself?

I also have two questions about the video:

1. Towards the end of your first video you talk about measuring 6 inches back from the end the foot end. Is this to measure where to sew one side of the triangle to the hammock body?

2. Is your rolled hem the same size around the entire hammock body to include the channels at the end of the hammock for whipping? I believe you said it was a little bigger than 1" with 1/2" piece of material underneath the top part of the hem.

It's is a great design. Thanks for posting it for everyone.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    TZ,

I'm thinking of trying to make my first DIY hammock and I wanted to try my hand with this design except I think I'm going to try and incorporate Hangnout's stretchable footbox instead of the triangular footbox.

I think I understand all of the instructions from your original instructions and the video helped out a lot, but I'm still confused about step 4.

Are you talking about the footbox triangle or the the hammock body itself?

I was speaking of the hammock body, I made a very large whipping knot on those ones, it is not necessary, only use about 3 inches and fold once and stitch

I also have two questions about the video:

1. Towards the end of your first video you talk about measuring 6 inches back from the end the foot end. Is this to measure where to sew one side of the triangle to the hammock body?

That is correct, it is to assure that the triangle edge hem tube is left exposed to lace the edge cord through. reducing the amount of folds in the hem also reduces this length

2. Is your rolled hem the same size around the entire hammock body to include the channels at the end of the hammock for whipping? I believe you said it was a little bigger than 1" with 1/2" piece of material underneath the top part of the hem.

Rolled hem is about 1 inch all around, it can be smaller, as long as you can feed the edge cord through it

It's is a great design. Thanks for posting it for everyone.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    This hammock was supposed to be just an experiment but I have been amazed at how well it has worked

SGT Rock has a great idea on using a center hook in the side hems to allow easier entry also. I made a second with a knotty side at the head end, it works real well also
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZ,

Thanks for the answering my questions, but I'm still confused.

If there is a 1" rolled hem around all theedge of the hammocks, is the 3" inch fold on the ends another fold or is there a 1" rolled hem on the sides of the hammock and a 3" hem at the head and the foot end?

What is the purpose of the 3" hem for the whipping? Is it just a way to shorten the hammock or change the lay of the hammock?

I'll look for SGT Rock's center hook idea. It sounds interesting.

Was the head end of your second hammock with the stretch side square at the end or did it have a setback like the original design (20" or 15" after your initial experience)?

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Sorry for the confusion on that part.
    1 inch rolled hem on sides, 3 inch hem head and foot, only purpose for the larger hem was to provide a "ball end" for the suspension to wrap around. I use removable whoopies with a larks head at the hammock so I can store wet suspension separate from the hammock.

The head end of the second one was set back about 7 inches and then the stretch side was added, but still had the zing it in the edge due to the very light weight of the fabric
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZ,

Thanks for explaining the differences in the hem.

I just have three more questions and then I'm just going to start cutting fabric.

1. Did you leave the length of the hammock at 116" or extend it to 120" like you suggested in your later posts? By shortening the hem on the head and foot by approximately 3" each, do you actually gain 6" back in usable length in the hammock?

2. Right at the end of your second video, you talk about cutting off the leftover material at the head and foot end. Did you cut a little of the top of the hem off (as well as remove the excess material on the sides) to expose the side channel so the zing-it could exit the hammock? I guess you could burn a hole in the material instead of cutting it.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    TZ,

Thanks for explaining the differences in the hem.

I just have three more questions and then I'm just going to start cutting fabric.

1. Did you leave the length of the hammock at 116" or extend it to 120" like you suggested in your later posts? By shortening the hem on the head and foot by approximately 3" each, do you actually gain 6" back in usable length in the hammock?

I shortened the overall length for weight and to fit in the smallest spacees

2. Right at the end of your second video, you talk about cutting off the leftover material at the head and foot end. Did you cut a little of the top of the hem off (as well as remove the excess material on the sides) to expose the side channel so the zing-it could exit the hammock? I guess you could burn a hole in the material instead of cutting it.

Thanks again!
    I cut a bit from both to get clean corners for the hem lines

Heading to the MI hang this morning b back Sunday
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Great tutorial.

Would it be better to leave out the setbacks so that the footbox has more effect on the lay of the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Great tutorial.

Would it be better to leave out the setbacks so that the footbox has more effect on the lay of the hammock?
    Just back from the MI hang so reply is a bit late

With no setback you reduce the length of the footbox side usually to much.The 2 sides of the triangle are about 60 inches combined, and the length of the triangle side that becomes the top edge of the side is about 40 inches, so 60 inches of hammock body are reduced to 40 inches, which makes the side way to short. All has been discussed much in many other threads about adding a footbox. I suppose you could start with 160 inches of square fabric OAL and trim the shoulder side shorter as necessary to get a similar effect.
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZ,

I'm in the middle of my first DIY using your design as the basis. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend. Unfortunately I've run into a snag. For the life of me I can't figure out how you get the Zing-It to exit the side channel so the whipping line can go through the locked brummel. At the end of your second vide, I noticed that the end hem wasn't sewn all the way to the edge and the side hem stopped about 6" from the end, but I still don't see it.

Thanks so much for answering all my questions about your design.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZ,

I think I figured it out. I'll see if it works when I whip the hammock tomorrow. I'll post some pictures to see if I did it the same way you did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast