Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    TZ- I am looking at your diagram and wondering if you started with another 10" in length you could trim out the 30" x 30" x 43" triangle without having to use another piece of material. Yes, no, maybe so?
    Yes, the geometry works out so you can get your 30" isoceles right triangle from the scrap if you add an extra 10" to the original length of fabric.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I literally just cut two 11'x64" squares of 1.1 to make a double layer "warbird" and then I come across this thread!

I love the short length and asym cut, which adjusts the center of the gathered ends to allow more room where you need it. Tarp coverage would be excellent, and it's lighter weight without sacrificing interior space (assuming tests have proven no shoulder squeeze or other unforeseen issues).

Now TZ, you have me re-thinking my project into your "chrysalis" style shortened asym with a zippered bugnet and a wing for storage on the footbox side ala the BB... Gaaahhh!! Decisions decisions...

If the zing-it isn't used, what sort of patch or area would need reinforcement? Is it the entire edge or just the corner of the footbox triangle? In your tests where you heard threads popping were there multiple areas of extreme fabric stress?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks TZ for the video's, they really helped me allot in understanding how the footbox got sewn in. . I just got my fabric so i'll be hopefully on it any day.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    If the zing-it isn't used, what sort of patch or area would need reinforcement? Is it the entire edge or just the corner of the footbox triangle? In your tests where you heard threads popping were there multiple areas of extreme fabric stress?
    Most folks add a pullout at the end of the triangle, where the shelf joins, this adds reinforcement to that joint.

It is only necessary if you may load the edge of the hammock on that side.

With no reinforcement, I would be a bit cautious, as the threads are all that is holding it together.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hi TZ; i'm in the middle of the project. The material is cut and the footbox triangle is done but i have a couple of questions just to make sure i'm understanding things correctly.
    1)-At 6:14 of the first video you show that the side was pinned the wrong way so unlike the pic thats IN the video the material should be shiny side up with the hem on top,, correct??.
    2)-I'm assuming both sides are hemmed the same way???

3)-in video 2 @ 2:17 your talking about folding the end double,,,that would be 3" over to the 6" line drawn earlier on the end and then folded in half,,is that correct??,,,i'm assuming both ends are done the same way.
    4)- VIDEO 2 @ 2:52 the footbox triangle edge heading to 12 oclock from your index finger is the 43"edge,,correct??.

Thanks
    bill

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Hi TZ; i'm in the middle of the project. The material is cut and the footbox triangle is done but i have a couple of questions just to make sure i'm understanding things correctly.
    1)-At 6:14 of the first video you show that the side was pinned the wrong way so unlike the pic thats IN the video the material should be shiny side up with the hem on top,, correct??.

Thats where I went wrong, and had to do a bunch of re-pinning. The shiny side should be the inside of the hammock when finished. The triangle which would lay shiny side down and the hammock body shiny side up. THe hem would be up, correct.

2)-I'm assuming both sides are hemmed the same way???

Correct, hem up and to the inside of the finished hammock

3)-in video 2 @ 2:17 your talking about folding the end double,,,that would be 3" over to the 6" line drawn earlier on the end and then folded in half,,is that correct??,,,i'm assuming both ends are done the same way.

Correct, Though I am thinking one fold would be plenty strong, using a larks head around it for suspension.

4)- VIDEO 2 @ 2:52 the footbox triangle edge heading to 12 oclock from your index finger is the 43"edge,,correct??.

It started as 43 inches before any hemming, after hemming it was somewhere around 36 I believe. This is not a real critical dimension though

Thanks
    bill
    In Bold are my responses
    TZ
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks TZ.

Hammock
    DIY creation
    Tarp
    WalMart Blue
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    I've followed TZBrown down this road and made one of my own so I thought I'd share some pictures of my creation -

Here is the body of the hammock laid out, the diagonals cut on the top and bottom are 15" deep

This is the triangle for the footbox, the short sides are both 30"

Here I am in the hammock (excuse my appearance, it's been a looooong week)

Here is a side shot of the hammock with the footbox clearly visible -

This is a detail shot of the footbox triangle

Here is an overhead shot showing the lay (lie?) of the hammock. My head isn't really that close to the end, it's just the angle of the shot.

I whipped the hammock using Knotty's method and ran the ridgeline (2.2 mm lash-it) through the whip so it's not in the way when I add a bug net.

I am extremely happy with my new toy. Thanks to TZBrown for the great instructions and inspiration!
    "We're making art, not taking a test"
    -Willie Williams

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfolsomjr View Post
    I've followed TZBrown down this road and made one of my own so I thought I'd share some pictures of my creation -

I am extremely happy with my new toy. Thanks to TZBrown for the great instructions and inspiration!
    Thanks for the kind words.

The road I travel may not be a straight one, and has a few bumps, but it can be fun at times.

Yours looks good. Is the lay pretty flat for you also?
    How does the back of leg pressure compare with others you have been in to you?
    What was your starting OAL of cloth, and what did the ridgeline length end up after hanging? More data is always good

Let us know how it feels after a night.
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY creation
    Tarp
    WalMart Blue
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    Yours looks good. Is the lay pretty flat for you also?
    How does the back of leg pressure compare with others you have been in to you?
    What was your starting OAL of cloth, and what did the ridgeline length end up after hanging? More data is always good
    The lay is very flat, but I'm still dialing it in. I was suposed to head out to the woods this weekend but plans fell through....

The back of leg pressure is reduced compared to my ENO and DIY Hennessy, this is one comfortable hammock!

I started with 120" of nylon before hemming or anything and ended up with about 112" of hammock body after hemming it up. My ridgeline is currently set at 88", but that is always subject to change...

Thanks!
    "We're making art, not taking a test"
    -Willie Williams

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast