WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    No offense intended, but this place is so against any type of change it's a little disheartening sometimes. I still like coming here and reading, and I always will...but I have to admit it's a little stale sometimes. I still think it's a great forum, arguably one of the best around...just having been an admin for 5 years I know there is so much more that can be done to "liven" it up...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I understand. It's just that we created HF for content-rich info. We're here for the info itself, and the specific type of community that's attracted to info more than to gimmicks that attract more hits or that liven up the experience.

So it's not that we're resistant to change...we just disagree that certain changes will actually enrich the experience in the way we'd like.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    ...I know there is so much more that can be done to "liven" it up...
    What's more lively about a like button than 3 pages of "great job/nice work".

I'm on a another forum with a "karma" button. My karma goes up from time to time but I have no idea when or for what post...totally worthless. Another forum has "rep".....and "give me some rep threads" used as a game to defeat the original intent....fun, but again, totally worthless.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I understand. It's just that we created HF for content-rich info.
    And it is a great success there for sure, in which I offer great amounts of kudos

Like I said, I still really enjoy this forum, and I always will

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    In the past, I was in favor of a thanks, or like button. But as I have seen them get used on other forums I now am of the opinion they do not provide any benefit. Meaningful feedback is more than a simple like, thanks or dislike. If one feels the need to do only that, nothing is stopping the person from posting it. What is missing is the compiling of the statistics, the hat feathers, popularity beads or whatever. IMO, that is really what the purpose of those buttons ends up becoming on the other forums that have them. (WV please fix my grammar in that last sentence).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    No offense intended, but this place is so against any type of change it's a little disheartening sometimes. I still like coming here and reading, and I always will...but I have to admit it's a little stale sometimes. I still think it's a great forum, arguably one of the best around...just having been an admin for 5 years I know there is so much more that can be done to "liven" it up...
    No offense taken.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

....."I LIke"

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG Custom Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ, TQ & PeaPod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    How would this work? If, a "like" count was present at the top right of the thread header, than I think that would be ok. If you just got a stream of posts saying "like" cluttering up the thread, then definitely not.

I'm all for a content rich forum, which, in the main, I belief HF is. But are all current threads really content rich?

Example: vendor releases a new product/concept. There then follows dozens of posts by people saying "I like that, it's cool". The comment by the member saying "that's cool, but have you ever thought of..." Is lost in the sea of other comments.

Surely the "likers" would still "like" the thread, but without the current clutter, the members with comments/content to add, will still do so.

I actually think a "like" button might lead to more content rich posts and relevant conversation.

Why not try it, and take it off if it proves to be rubbish?

Just my 2p, or 0.0318830 USD

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A like function specifically for threads, and not for individual posts, is what the thread rating function does...already present at the top of every thread.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    How would this work? If, a "like" count was present at the top right of the thread header, than I think that would be ok. If you just got a stream of posts saying "like" cluttering up the thread, then definitely not.

I'm all for a content rich forum, which, in the main, I belief HF is. But are all current threads really content rich?

Example: vendor releases a new product/concept. There then follows dozens of posts by people saying "I like that, it's cool". The comment by the member saying "that's cool, but have you ever thought of..." Is lost in the sea of other comments.

Surely the "likers" would still "like" the thread, but without the current clutter, the members with comments/content to add, will still do so.

I actually think a "like" button might lead to more content rich posts and relevant conversation.

Why not try it, and take it off if it proves to be rubbish?

Just my 2p, or 0.0318830 USD
    Very good way to look at it. Reading through a thread of 30 people saying the same thing gets old...and it happens a lot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast