Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Cool! Now that raccoon will be encouraged to raid other hikers campsites!
    A camp ground Coon is just that. They have no fear of humans, this one posed nicely for a video, and know all the tricks of food theft, so unless he learned something negative I don't think he learned anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    thanks for the video. I have an Ursack that I carry all the time now. I don't even bother hanging it anymore. I just make sure I tie it to a tree really well.
    well from 1st hand experience I know racoons can get their teeth through the ursack
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The thing to note is there is TWO types of ursack, the main one thats made to deal with the large dull strong teeth of bears and the ursack minor thats made for the small sharp teeth of raccoons, squirrels and such. A bear will go through the minor like its plastic, and a coon will go through the main one almost as easily, you have to take precautions for the other type of critter.

Edit: O and to borrow the picture from one of the mods before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Nice work! Might get an Ursack after that vid! I have been using a Garcia Bear Canister. Nothing is getting into that, but it is pretty bulky to lug around. I do have a slew of smell-free plastic bags that I still use inside the canister in the deeper woods.

The Ursack just might meet my needs for a less bulky food storage system. I have had Racoons actually manage to untie the rope when hanging my food! Clever little beasties!

Thanks for the live testing video!!

~ Sky
    Thanks!! i love my Ursack Minor and never had a problem with any animal for as that goes... I've hike over 50 miles on the "AT" (which isnt much to alot due to work) and never had a problem but I do hang my food... I use the PCT method which works very well for me.HYOH

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    well from 1st hand experience I know racoons can get their teeth through the ursack
    Sorry, to hear that but for as my luck I love my Ursack Minor.. I got a friend whos use his URSACK MINOR on his back to back thru-hikes (AT)and never had a problem. He is the one who turned me on to it. I am wondering if you had the knot right or did it just eat through the bag itself?HYOH

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    The thing to note is there is TWO types of ursack, the main one thats made to deal with the large dull strong teeth of bears and the ursack minor thats made for the small sharp teeth of raccoons, squirrels and such. A bear will go through the minor like its plastic, and a coon will go through the main one almost as easily, you have to take precautions for the other type of critter.

Edit: O and to borrow the picture from one of the mods before.
    Thanks for posting.. Here is the website to Ursack it has all the information you need along with the food bag. Hope this helps you or anyone who has any questions. Thanks once again for your post. HS
    http://www.ursack.com/ursack-catalog.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    I have the ursack not the ursack minor and yes those raccoon teeth will go through it

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Sorry, to hear that but for as my luck I love my Ursack Minor.. I got a friend whos use his URSACK MINOR on his back to back thru-hikes (AT)and never had a problem. He is the one who turned me on to it. I am wondering if you had the knot right or did it just eat through the bag itself?HYOH
    No they didn't eat through the bag. The next morning we notice the bagel had teeth marks in it. when I took everything out and held it up to the light you could see where the teeth went through the material.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DutchWare Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Thanks for posting the video. It convinced me to order one and it arrived today. I plan to hang the Ursack Minor when I camp below tree line. My bear vault will be a dust collector until needed.

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Coil,Thanks for the kind comment and glad i could help. I know things can't be perfect but most of the animals we come across are bears (if we are lucky) and mice and you WILL see them at shelter. I love my Ursack Minor, for as a bear getting my food,lol I don't know anyone who has stoped a bear from getting there food canister or bag.. I say HYOH do alot of research and pick the one you thinks best for your type of hike/camping.HS

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Russ and I own the old style Kevlar TKO and a Garcia can. There was a time that you could hang your food in the 'dacks, but rangers were pushing hikers to use the can. I happily explained to one ranger that I had the Ursack and the ranger laughed. He said, sure the bear may not run off with your sack, but he is gonna chew the snot out of it to a point you won't want what's in it later. :laugh

I am just imagining the condition of those hotdog buns!!!!! I still bring the ursack but now keep my trash in it.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast